Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been offered a council house!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

gazzer wrote: »
    Relatives of mine (2 kids, father works, stay at home mother) are paying €155 a week to the council. Works out at about €677 a month. Id say it is about half the private rental amount in that area.

For an one-income family, that is pretty far from free.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Try contacting your local citizen's information centre to establish whether you can view the house prior to agreeing to take it.

Failing that are there other similar houses in the same area? Clearly someone has told you a bit about the house already but maybe you could find some details about the house specifications either online or from someone already living in the area.

Worst case scenario if you take it and it turns out to be too small for your needs you can be added to a transfer list.
    You would need to live in the property for some time but if the area is fine and the neighbours are grand it's a small hardship in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Ya but considering most council house inhabitants are already on handouts then its basically the government giving them money so they can give it back to the government therefore they are free.

You do realise that the majority of citizens get money off the government? So the bit in bold probably applies to you too..Child Allowance, tax credits, TRS, rebates on health expenses, rent credits (being phased out now) Jobseekers, rent a room relief, home renovations incentives, top slicing for redundancy payments, rebates on tuition fees etc etc

Please cut out the judgmental posts. I'm tired of the nasty responses from posters when it comes to those that are in need of help from the State.

/Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Tax credits are not money from the government, they are a portion of your own money they dont take any percentage of. Plenty of people get little or no money from the government and I imagine it is galling for people under pressure with rent or mortgages to see the OP. This is not the UCD debating society, its an internet forum with real people and their emotional opinions.

OP, you should be aware that the RA and housing systems are changing currently, I would advise you to take the council house lest you find yourself in a position where its no longer an option open to you in the next couple of years. Location is all important, you'll make the space work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

It's your life, they are your children and I understand the predicament you are in. If it's a nice area as you have been told then I would definitely take it. It is much more secure. Having said that if it's anything like the council estates around me I would never in a million years take one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

drumswan wrote: »
    Plenty of people get little or no money from the government and I imagine it is galling for people under pressure with rent or mortgages to see the OP.

However, most people do, have done, or will get one or other of children's allowance and old age pension, at the very least, before we even go on to consider the various reliefs, rebates, subsidies and allowances that the state grants.

It's reckoned there are about 2 million medical cards in use. That represents more than a third of the population, so there's a very good chance that any given person and/or their close friends, family, or colleagues are availing themselves of "social welfare" in some form or another.

Back on topic, I agree with the general consensus that stable security of tenure trumps having a bigger house in the long term. OP, I think you'll ultimately regret passing up this opportunity if you do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Rasmus wrote: »
    I think this is the important part though. What is wrong with 3 kids living in a 3 bedroom house? The other house might be bigger and nicer, but you would be at the whim of the landlord. At least with the smaller house, you know you are secure. Imagine having to move with a young baby if the rent goes up..

This! To be honest, as other posters have said even having three kids in a two bedroom house (as the OP insists this actually is) is nowhere near overcrowding. The baby will share your room for the first year anyway OP and that leaves you more than halfway to applying for a transfer if you genuinely need a bigger house.

Security for your family trumps space every time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement