Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gloves

• 23-06-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Im wondering how many people use the same gloves all year round. I see that gloves are split between summer and winter. I have a pair of RST gloves which cost 75 euro in bikeworld, they are ok but very warm at the moment and you wouldnt get jacket sleeves over them so water runs into them and they get soaked from the inside. Id like to buy a new pair of gloves but im not sure if i should get a summer pair and then get a winter pair when its starts getting cold. If you do use a summer pair are they waterproof? It seems like a good idea getting something ventilated and non waterproof at the moment and fingers crossed it stays like this for a couple months but im guessing they would be fairly useless once its cooler.. From what i can tell from reviews most of the waterproof ones get just as sweaty as heavier winter gloves.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

rowanh wrote: »
    Im wondering how many people use the same gloves all year round. I see that gloves are split between summer and winter. I have a pair of RST gloves which cost 75 euro in bikeworld, they are ok but very warm at the moment and you wouldnt get jacket sleeves over them so water runs into them and they get soaked from the inside. Id like to buy a new pair of gloves but im not sure if i should get a summer pair and then get a winter pair when its starts getting cold. If you do use a summer pair are they waterproof? It seems like a good idea getting something ventilated and non waterproof at the moment and fingers crossed it stays like this for a couple months but im guessing they would be fairly useless once its cooler.. From what i can tell from reviews most of the waterproof ones get just as sweaty as heavier winter gloves.

I have 2 pairs. One pair of MX gloves for hot days(7 per yr) and a thicker pair for the other 258 days. These glove are not that thick cos I find it hard to feel the throttle/controls so I have heated grips and/or thermal under gloves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

As a general rule, summer gloves are not waterproof, yes we get the odd shower but nothing mental. You are prolly better off with a summer pair and a winter pair as you will get longer out of both by now wearing the same ones all year round.

The best fitting glove I ever owned were the Alpinestars 365 glove you can wear them all year round (winter or summer) bar the really cold winter days. They are absolutely brilliant glove. I have mine over 2 1/2 yrs now and they are still perfect.....

The gloves I use mostly now are the Held Air & Dry, really clever Idea and worth every penny or the price. No need for any other glove really.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I use waterproof winter gloves all year round.

My hands never get sweaty since I only have them on when on the move.

Ventilating them won't get rid of much heat since your hands don't much blood flow in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have always used a summer and a winter glove. I don't know how people can use winter gloves in this heat, especially if you go through a city or town and are stopping a lot.
    Here's the summer glove I use, alpinestar smx carbon, they're class, on my second pair.

Air flows through them nicely, perfect for this weather. Used to carry them in the pannier, nothing worse than wearing your winter gloves in spring and it's one of those days that turns out to be really warm. Great feeling taking the hot sweaty bulky gloves off and putting on the light summer gloves.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I use waterproof winter gloves all year round.

My hands never get sweaty since I only have them on when on the move.

Ventilating them won't get rid of much heat since your hands don't much blood flow in the first place.
    No, your hands have loads of blood vessels close to the skin. Heating and cooling your hands is important for body temperature.

• Advertisement

Not much armour on them Cienciano is there? especially around the wrist. I dont think I could wear a glove without a nice re-enforced gauntlet. Even in the summer, I like to feel secure when riding.

You can always get more protection, but they are good considering the airflow they allow.

Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all...nothing at all...nothing at all

Cienciano wrote: »
    No, your hands have loads of blood vessels close to the skin. Heating and cooling your hands is important for body temperature.

It's your major organs that generate most of the heat when at rest. Head, neck and torso are the main priorities for ventilation. The limbs come next and the extremities are last.

There's not much in your hands that needs a high blood flow. Your fingers have no muscles on them, just bones, ligaments, tendons and a few nerves. Your palm has some muscles but they're small and don't need much blood.

You would lose more heat ventilating your feet than your hands.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    It's your major organs that generate most of the heat when at rest. Head, neck and torso are the main priorities for ventilation. The limbs come next and the extremities are last.

There's not much in your hands that needs a high blood flow. Your fingers have no muscles on them, just bones, ligaments, tendons and a few nerves. Your palm has some muscles but they're small and don't need much blood.

You would lose more heat ventilating your feet than your hands.
    You're right, the hands don't generate heat. But they can lose you a lot of heat because they have a high concentration of blood vessels close to the surface with little insulation.
    Like a liquid cooled bike, engine will generate the heat, but it's the radiator that will make it lose the heat. Your feet are similar.

You're right, the hands don't generate heat. But they can lose you a lot of heat because they have a high concentration of blood vessels close to the surface with little insulation.
    Like a liquid cooled bike, engine will generate the heat, but it's the radiator that will make it lose the heat. Your feet are similar.

You're right, but you will still lose more heat ventilating your torso than extremities.

Put identical twins in a big freezer. Have one wear a jacket and jeans and the other gloves and boots. Guess who will die first?

My mesh textile jacket and pants give me enough airflow that my hands don't get sweaty.

Maybe if the weather was warmer, I would get summer gloves.

• Advertisement

Well, if your system works, it's the right system!
    The beauty of gloves is that it's easier to carry spare ones. Although with my bike now I can carry nothing. Went down to the shop the other day and had to carry the cheese singles back in my inside pocket. Lucky it was a short drive

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

The Air and dry glove looks great, i saw it on a couple of Revzillas roundup videos for best summer gloves. Its a bit pricy though, ill check out the 365 but i think it may be the same cost, i see there is one on ebay for 100 sterling but its xxl. Id like to spend under 100 euro ideally though ill see how it goes. I heard good things about these three.

Revit sand pro

Scorpion sgs

Weise Daytona

The Air and dry glove looks great, i saw it on a couple of Revzillas roundup videos for best summer gloves. Its a bit pricy though, ill check out the 365 but i think it may be the same cost, i see there is one on ebay for 100 sterling but its xxl. Id like to spend under 100 euro ideally though ill see how it goes. I heard good things about these three.

Revit sand pro

Scorpion sgs

Weise Daytona

Shop around and you will get them cheaper. I got my 365's in a sale and cost me less then 90 euro. The Air and Dry are worth the money.....I have mine a year now and not as much as a stitch out of place.

I have always used a summer and a winter glove. I don't know how people can use winter gloves in this heat, especially if you go through a city or town and are stopping a lot.
    Here's the summer glove I use, alpinestar smx carbon, they're class, on my second pair.

Air flows through them nicely, perfect for this weather. Used to carry them in the pannier, nothing worse than wearing your winter gloves in spring and it's one of those days that turns out to be really warm. Great feeling taking the hot sweaty bulky gloves off and putting on the light summer gloves.

They're the ones I have too. Got mine for 20e in a bargain bin abouy 9 yrs ago

They're the ones I have too. Got mine for 20e in a bargain bin abouy 9 yrs ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

i have the Knox Zero gloves... and i was in accident with them.. and the wrist support saved my hand as well as the slidders... i will not be buying any other glvoes ever... they are cool enough for summer yet offers good cold protection in the winter... and yes they are waterproof

http://londonbikers.com/articles/24953/the-knox-zero-with-outdry-glove-review

you have pics there and detailed review... i bought them long time a go for 150e.. atm you can get them for 110e...i can put all my money down for them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I use 2 pairs of gloves, I have a winter pair that I use with heated grips, if you're planning on riding in winter you'll need winter gloves. The pair I use in the summer are more for 3 seasons. They're leather, insulated and water proof, they can get a little sweaty on very hot days but they're comfortable 99% of the time.

Getgeared.co.uk have a 10% discount on vented gloves at the moment if you use the code vent14. Still, might find something better/ cheaper on ebay.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions, i ended up spending 700 euro on a jacket and trousers so i think ill leave the gloves for now. Maybe get some proper winter ones when it starts to get really cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

dont leave the gloves... :) mate... if you spended that money on jacket.. dont broke it by wearing cheap gloves.. :) 100e at max will get you really decent pair...

if i fall - slow speed (which i did) the most impact absorvbed the gloves... as you are trying to support your body. i had no scratch on jacket or pants but my gloves were visible abused. just saying that dont underestimate that

best of luck

The ones i have are ok,

RST-Raptor2-Glove-500x500.jpg

I melted the inside of them with a hair dryer and there are some rough bits and then also they get very sweaty when its hot and water soaks into my sleeves and runs down into them when my jacket gets wet. So i can live with them for a while but i will probably get something like the alpinestars 365, i like the look of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Curently only have one pair of summer gloves, and was using them through most of winter, on very cold days I used to put on very thin leahter gloves below which was ok temperature wise, but a very tight fit.

I'll get proper winter gloves this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

I have a pair of these, can't fault them

001-1.jpg

Advertisement