Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment contents insurance.

Options
  • 23-06-2014 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

My water tank in my apartment has sprung a leak and I'm wondering if it would typically be covered under insurance. The tank itself is a beast around 7 foot tall with hot and cold water in it. It would cost around €1000 to replace and a logistical nightmare of getting it out/in of the apartment. Reason I'm asking is a colleague had similar issue in her apartment and it was covered minus excess of €500. We're using the same insurer and contents policy but over the phone they don’t seem to want to entertain me at all. Unfortunately she can’t find any of the documentation for her claim at that time 2 years ago.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm guessing it'll depend entirely on what your policy says but on the face of it, if your neighbour is with the same company & has the same policy you should be ok? Did you renew it within the last few months? Maybe something changed in the terms?

Only way to know though I'm afraid is dig out the statement and see what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Depending on where the tank is located, it may be covered under the block insurance which your management company would have taken out. It doesn't matter if your colleague is with the same insurer as you can select an excess or it could be covered under her block insurance, and yours may not, and vice versa. Ring up your management company and ask them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A lot of policies changed when they came for renewal after the bad winter.
    You need to check the policy.

Advertisement