Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geting rid or an unwanted dog.

• 23-06-2014 12:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭

My neighbor has had a Border Collie for 4 years and recently the dog has become more wild and aggressive. He is considering just driving out to a woodland or bog, just leaving the dog and driving off, effectively abandoning the dog.

Its not the dogs fault, The owner just doesn't have anytime for a energetic breed like a border collie who was bound to become board and frustrate being tied up all day.

I was wondering if anyone had some helpful advice that I can give the owner and maybe better ways or getting rid of the unwanted pet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If this neighbour is prepared to DUMP a dog, there is probably no point in offering him advice, but just in case you can prevent this cruelty happening
    you could suggest at the very least that he bring the dog to the vet and have it
    put to sleep. FAR kinder than dumping the poor animal with no food and having to fend for itself.

If he is not prepared to do that, then he should at the very least call the local
    pound or warden and see what the possibilities are.

Really, the absolutely cruellest thing he can do is dump the dog - the dog will be terrified and its horrible to think what will happen to him...
    :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    snip

That would be illegal.:rolleyes:

aonb wrote: »
    If this neighbour is prepared to DUMP a dog, there is probably no point in offering him advice, but just in case you can prevent this cruelty happening
    you could suggest at the very least that he bring the dog to the vet and have it
    put to sleep. FAR kinder than dumping the poor animal with no food and having to fend for itself.

If he is not prepared to do that, then he should at the very least call the local
    pound or warden and see what the possibilities are.

Really, the absolutely cruellest thing he can do is dump the dog - the dog will be terrified and its horrible to think what will happen to him...
    :mad:

You see he thinks it's the best way to just be rid of it without any care, cost or effort.

Honnestly I wouldn't mind if he got rid of the dog. The dog barks at night, chances my car and barks at night, again thats not the dogs fault, Its the owners for not giving it any exercise . But I don't think abandonment is the way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

You see he thinks it's the best way to just be rid of it without any care, cost or effort.

The best way for him. He sounds like.....words I can't say otherwise I shall be banned....

I agree with anonb's advice and please, whatever he decides, try and discourage him from ever ever getting another dog

Oh and there's another thread on here about a person and his/her friend who tried to help 2 dogs who were dumped, the dogs escaped and now they're in the sh!!t with a farmer as the dogs killed sheep and the person and his/her friend have to pay the farmer, the people who originally dumped the dog cannot be traced so get off absolutely scott free, having caused a great deal of distress and expense for other people, please tell your neighbour that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

First off the title of the thread will likely annoy people.

Posting here suggests you have compassion for the dog which is good.

If the owner is not willing to bring dog to a pound can you not bring him and say the dog has been a stray in your area for a few days?

Or better again contact a few rescues ask them will they take the dog in, explain to them the fate that awaits the dog where he is currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RedCatt

Thats a cruel and illegal (at least in Norwy it is) way of getting rid of a very kind breed. I had to put down my border collie back in january because of illness and it was on of the saddest days in my life. Surley there are some kind of animal shelter, or he could announce online maybe? I have no sympathy for people doing this and if he does I hope he gets to pay for it, horrible man.

dave1982 wrote: »
    First off the title of the thread will likely annoy people.

Posting here suggests you have compassion for the dog which is good.

If the owner is not willing to bring dog to a pound can you not bring him and say the dog has been a stray in your area for a few days?

Or better again contact a few rescues ask them will they take the dog in, explain to them the fate that awaits the dog where he is currently.

So you're saying I should offer to bring the dog to a pound or something myself? I guess I could do that. Where could i go in the Dublin area that would take it off me, no questions asked. I don't want to be interegated or charged by some official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The only pound in Dublin is Ashton Dog Pound which serves all Dublin councils.

You will pay a "surrender" fee though and will have to sign over all guardianship to the dog when there. More than likely the dog will be put to sleep within 24hours or less if the pound is full and/or they deem the dog aggressive.

Would you be willing to contact any of the rescues locally and try and rehome him or give him a chance to be rehabilitated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

So you're saying I should offer to bring the dog to a pound or something myself? I guess I could do that. Where could i go in the Dublin area that would take it off me, no questions asked. I don't want to be interegated or charged by some official.

DRD,

<SNIP>

Please do not let your neighbour abandon the dog - that is incredibly stressful for the dog and unnecessarily cruel.

• Advertisement

ButtersSuki, please read the forum Charter. There is no naming or discussion of individual rescues or charities unless linked to the "umbrella" list.

I will PM you your reply which you can send to the OP via PM.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

anniehoo wrote: »
    The only pound in Dublin is Ashton Dog Pound which serves all Dublin councils.

You will pay a "surrender" fee though and will have to sign over all guardianship to the dog when there. More than likely the dog will be put to sleep within 24hours or less if the pound is full and/or they deem the dog aggressive.

Would you be willing to contact any of the rescues locally and try and rehome him or give him a chance to be rehabilitated?

If the op dropped the dog off as a stray would the fee still be applicable?

Whispered wrote: »
    If the op dropped the dog off as a stray would the fee still be applicable?

No I don't think so. If the dog is "chipped" it will be traced back to the owner though and a reclaim fee required. But this isn't likely to happen in this case.

Edit: To add to this it also depends what catchment area of Dublin he was supposedly found "straying". Ashton pick and choose what they profile but the only catchment area that is semi transparent is South Dublin as their warden pics go on their County Council page. No other CC do this.

The very last place I would be going is Ashton until they get their website in order and start properly working with rescues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RedCatt

Is it illegal to dump animals in Britain? If so I'd threaten to call the police.

Update on the story.. I spoke to the owner last evening. Started the conversation about the weather, then the world cup. As soon as i mentioned the dog, I was met with a pretty angry responce and told to mind my own f***ing business.

Also I didn't see the dog this morning or hear it barking as i drove off. Which usually happens. So I suspect the deed may have been done last night. Won't know for sure untill i get home this evening

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Why do you think he was so angry op? Seems odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

He was probably feeling threatened because the OP was inquiring about the dog that the neighbour was going to CRUELLY dump in the middle of nowhere
    :mad: He was probably sorry he had mentioned that this was the despicable solution to his 'problem' with the dog :mad: I make no apologies for saying that this obnoxious person would be rude/angry to the OP because he knew it was such a sleazebag/revolting/cruel/rotten thing to do. I wish bad things on him, if he has dumped the poor dog :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

RedCatt wrote: »
    Is it illegal to dump animals in Britain? If so I'd threaten to call the police.

The Republic of Ireland is not in Britain.

DBB wrote: »
    Why do you think he was so angry op? Seems odd.

I guess he was maybe feeling guilty about doing it. Maybe its an issue at home, Mayed he feels I was crossing a line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Magenta wrote: »
    The Republic of Ireland is not in Britain.

It's illegal here too

Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/act/pub/0015/sec0012.html#sec12

12.—(1) A person shall not—

(a) do, or fail to do, anything or cause or permit anything to be done to an animal that causes unnecessary suffering to, or endanger the health or welfare of, an animal, or

(b) neglect, or be reckless, regarding the health or welfare of an animal.

(2) A person who contravenes this section commits an offence.

(3) Where a person has been convicted of an offence under this section, the court may, in addition to any penalty it imposes, order the person to make such contribution, as it considers appropriate, towards veterinary or other expenses incurred in respect of the animal or its upkeep.

That would seem to cover abandoning an animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Update on the story.. I spoke to the owner last evening. Started the conversation about the weather, then the world cup. As soon as i mentioned the dog, I was met with a pretty angry responce and told to mind my own f***ing business.

Also I didn't see the dog this morning or hear it barking as i drove off. Which usually happens. So I suspect the deed may have been done last night. Won't know for sure untill i get home this evening

Sorry to hear OP, because it seems like you have compassion for this dog and made an honest effort to help. Short of calling the authorities on him, I can't see what else you could have done. At least this thread can inform people in a similar situation.

geeky wrote: »
    Sorry to hear OP, because it seems like you have compassion for this dog and made an honest effort to help. Short of calling the authorities on him, I can't see what else you could have done. At least this thread can inform people in a similar situation.

And I won't be calling the authorities. At the end of the day I have to live beside this person who besides this issue is a decent neighbour who family I get along with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Any update on the poor dog?Some people shouldn't have dogs,if they have no intention of caring fully for the dog,its not enough to give a dog ,food & water ,they are a pack animal, & need both mental & physical stimulation & exercise.I know u tried your best......but your neighbour is an ***hole,too lazy,or to afraid to try & get the dog rehomed in case too many questions were asked of him...I could go on & on,but his type make me sick:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Your neighbour is a heartless muck savage. And a ****ing prick. I would love to tie him to a tree overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

It's illegal here too

Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/act/pub/0015/sec0012.html#sec12

12.—(1) A person shall not—

(a) do, or fail to do, anything or cause or permit anything to be done to an animal that causes unnecessary suffering to, or endanger the health or welfare of, an animal, or

(b) neglect, or be reckless, regarding the health or welfare of an animal.

(2) A person who contravenes this section commits an offence.

(3) Where a person has been convicted of an offence under this section, the court may, in addition to any penalty it imposes, order the person to make such contribution, as it considers appropriate, towards veterinary or other expenses incurred in respect of the animal or its upkeep.

That would seem to cover abandoning an animal.

The Act also identifies abandonment as a specific offence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/act/pub/0015/sec0014.html#sec14
    And I won't be calling the authorities. At the end of the day I have to live beside this person who besides this issue is a decent neighbour who family I get along with

I understand how it can be difficult reporting someone who lives near you, and even more so if they live right next door.
    What it seems your neighbour has done is both morally reprehensible and criminal. Abandoning a dog like he was talking about is just about the lowest of the low...he needs to face the consequences.
    I wouldn't consider that sort of person to be a decent neighbour, and I wouldn't want anything to do with them or their family after this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sigh.
    Folks, I understand that the dog's owner is coming across as less than savoury.
    However, this does not mean that the forum charter can be ignored, so please stop calling him rude names, and stop inciting violence against him.
    This sort of behaviour normally warrants a ban. Please do not force us to do so.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

coathanger wrote: »
    Any update on the poor dog?Some people shouldn't have dogs,if they have no intention of caring fully for the dog,its not enough to give a dog ,food & water ,they are a pack animal, & need both mental & physical stimulation & exercise.I know u tried your best......but your neighbour is an ***hole,too lazy,or to afraid to try & get the dog rehomed in case too many questions were asked of him...I could go on & on,but his type make me sick:mad:

No sign the dog this evening either, almost certain it's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

This is one of the saddest things I have heard in a long time and as long as I live, I will never understand the mentality of people who will do such a cold-blooded thing to an animal........no matter how "annoying" the animal has become. The only thing that I would take comfort from is the fact that over many years, most of our most devoted and loving pets arrived on our doorstep after being dumped on our road. We're on a dark and unlit road not far out of town, perfect for those choosing the easy option for themselves. I hope, really hope that this poor creature crosses paths with someone who cares enough to give him a chance. Anyone believe in the power of positive thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

How you can describe someone like this as "decent besides this issue" is beyond me. He is what he has done. God knows what suffering this dog is going through right now. Fear, hunger, thirst, possible injury and pain, possible slow agonizing death. I hope to god this dog is found by someone who will help him, and I also hope to god that wherever he dumped the dog he didnt tie him to a tree or similar with no chance of being found. What your neighbour did is despicable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Yea he sounds like a decent neighbour, I can only imagine what the bad ones are like!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement