Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Entry Medicine

Options
  • 23-06-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm sure this topic has been covered in a few threads before, but I'm thinking of applying for Mature entry medicine this year. I'm 24, and have a degree from UCD in Sociology and Geography, and I just completed a Higher Diploma in Digital Media from IT Carlow. I have a design company with a couple of my friends, which I enjoy doing but I don't really find all that fulfilling. Medicine has always been something I've wanted to do, sitting at the back of my mind, but I guess I didn't see myself as capable of doing it. I've thought about it a lot the past year however, and having matured since I first started my undergrad, I fully believe I can do it now. If I don't try I'll never know, and that nagging at the back of mind will remain.

I have a deep interest in the Human Body, and I study it as a hobby on the side. Aside from this, I really want to spend the little time I have on earth helping people in the most meaningful way possible, not through what I'm doing now or many other things, but genuinely helping and improving the lives of others. I'm 90% sure that I want to do this, but I want to gain some insight into the world first to be sure. Would anyone have ideas as to how to go about shadowing a doctor in a hospital?

As well as this I know volunteering is a big plus for an application, so would anyone have any tips on where to do that? I'm trained as a beach and pool lifeguard, so I'd be competent with first aid. I also plan on spending 2 weeks abroad doing aid work if I can, and am considering repeating the LC sciences.

Thank you for any help and advice, and I apologise if all this has been answered before.

Advertisement