Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Types of mature student grant?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 12:41pm

Hi all,

I have just accepted a FETAC level 8 course with Trinity and was looking on the SUSI website where I noticed,
    Documentary Evidence of Financial Assistance
    If you have been offered student financial assistance or student funding from another awarding or funding body for the 2013/14 academic year you may be asked to provide a letter from the awarding/funding body which states the following information:
    The name of the awarding or funding body; and
    A breakdown of the full amount in euro to be awarded (e.g. the amount allocated for maintenance, the amount allocated for fees, etc).

What does this mean? Is there somewhere else to get funding from?

Do I still apply to the council for the fees grant or has that been replaced with SUSI.

I'm on a CE Scheme at the moment, so should get BTEA no problem. Do I contact social welfare for that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi all,

I have just accepted a FETAC level 8 course with Trinity and was looking on the SUSI website where I noticed,

What does this mean? Is there somewhere else to get funding from?

Do I still apply to the council for the fees grant or has that been replaced with SUSI.

I'm on a CE Scheme at the moment, so should get BTEA no problem. Do I contact social welfare for that?

Congrats on getting your course PD :)

SUSI is the body you apply to for all grants now: http://www.susi.ie

Other grant awarding bodies can refer to situations where students have been awarded a scholarship, e.g : http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9498/scholarships-grants-general-/index.html or are being funded from grant bodies in northern Ireland/ UK etc, or where they are being sponsored by an employer during their studies.

You will get BTEA as long as you have built up 238 signing days on a social welfare payment and are on a qualifying social welfare payment immediately before the course starts. Time on CE can count towards the qualifying period.

You can apply for BTEA from DSP as soon as you have been awarded a course place.

Also its probably a HETAC or NUI degree you will be doing as FETAC courses only run up to level 6. :)

Thanks very much. I an chuffed to bits.

Does the grant cover the students contribution of 2500?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thanks very much. I an chuffed to bits.

Does the grant cover the students contribution of 2500?

If you meet the criteria yes it does. Just be aware that under the current rules if you get the BTEA you can't get the maintenance portion of the grant. You would be eligible to have your registration charge covered and any mandatory field trip expenses but not the monthly grant.

Advertisement