Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Archive and Records Management Course

• 23-06-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I am planning on attending the Archive and Records Management Course in UCD starting in September.I was wondering if anyone who has completed the course in the last couple of years could tell me how they found the course and what the job opportunities after completing the course are like? Would appreciate any help given.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 breakbad

Well done on getting the course. I completed it last year and would recommend it to anyone whose passionate about history and archives. Won't lie to you -be prepared for a tough tough year! Its none stop once you start, constant assignments and there will be a listing project to complete as well as a dissertation. The course is also heavy on theory but some of the modules are very interesting. The department are amazing and go out of their way to help, the classes are small usually 10 - 15 max, and if its like mine everyone gets on really well. The job market is tricky - usually have to struggle for a few years with short term contracts. But saying that all my class are working at the moment, I'm currently on a one year contract - you just have to be prepared that there will be a wait for permanent work. The course is well worth it, just keep in mind its tough because its so short. Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Galapogus

Hi, I was just wondering what the appropriate work experience for this masters would be? Would work experience in a library suffice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 Oswin

Galapogus wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering what the appropriate work experience for this masters would be? Would work experience in a library suffice?

Hi Galapogus, if you're interested in doing the course you should try to get some experience in an archive - the learnaboutarchives-dot-ie website has a pretty comprehensive list of archive services in Ireland and is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AM2790

Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting here. I was just wondering if anyone knows the type of hours/days for those doing the MA in Archives and Records Management part-time? This may be a better option for me, so I can work and fund myself easier. However if the hours clash it won't be worth it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bankrobber

Hi,

Starting the MA in September, wondering if anyone who has done the course has any of the books for sale or would know a good place to loan/buy at a reasonable price?

Cheers!

AM2790 wrote: »
    Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting here. I was just wondering if anyone knows the type of hours/days for those doing the MA in Archives and Records Management part-time? This may be a better option for me, so I can work and fund myself easier. However if the hours clash it won't be worth it. Thanks!

Our provisional timetable has classes on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. This is one of the notes underneath the timetable:

• Part time MA Students take two core modules, Archival Representation and Managing Records, in the first semester and have a choice of taking an option in this semester and completing three core modules in the second semester or else taking two core modules in semester 1 and all four core modules in semester 2.

If you were to do two core modules as per the timetable this semester you would be have 3 hours (11-1 & 1-2) every second Wednesday and 2 hours (10-12) every Thursday. However, I'm sure the schedule is subject to change each year! Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 AM2790

Thanks for the info!
    bankrobber wrote: »
    Hi,

Starting the MA in September, wondering if anyone who has done the course has any of the books for sale or would know a good place to loan/buy at a reasonable price?

Cheers!

Our provisional timetable has classes on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. This is one of the notes underneath the timetable:

• Part time MA Students take two core modules, Archival Representation and Managing Records, in the first semester and have a choice of taking an option in this semester and completing three core modules in the second semester or else taking two core modules in semester 1 and all four core modules in semester 2.

If you were to do two core modules as per the timetable this semester you would be have 3 hours (11-1 & 1-2) every second Wednesday and 2 hours (10-12) every Thursday. However, I'm sure the schedule is subject to change each year! Hope that helps!

Advertisement