Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposing of a tenants belongings

Options
  • 23-06-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

I had a tenant and he stopped paying rent which left me in the **** because I am paying the mortgage and also paying rental on my own property (i bought a house in '06 and its in negative equity so I can't sell and I had to move).

Anyhow, after 4 months of trying to get a hold of this guy my neighbours told me that he hadn't been seen in a few weeks and the house was for all purposes abandoned. I went up and the house was trashed but his stuff was still there.

He was issued with an eviction notice but never heard anything from him. I cleaned up the house and put what I could in storage but still haven't heard heard anything from him (over 2 months later). I have since let the house out but just wondering how long do I have to hold onto his stuff for? I don't have room and to be honest, I don't see why I should have to store it.

Anybody have experience of this kind of thing? I have read that if its not claimed within 30 days it becomes my property so therefore I should be allowed to dispose of it. I have went above and beyond in trying to get a hold of him but he just won't respond.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We had a similar situation a couple of years ago, we held onto what the non paying vacating tenant left behind, rang him, left voicemails & texts saying if he wanted his stuff back he could have it but if we received no response within 28 days we'd be binning it, which we did.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

We had a similar situation a couple of years ago, we held onto what the non paying vacating tenant left behind, rang him, left voicemails & texts saying if he wanted his stuff back he could have it but if we received no response within 28 days we'd be binning it, which we did.

Thanks, just wondering what happens if he decides to come looking for it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I can almost guarantee he won't. If he really wanted his stuff, he would have taken it long ago. And if he's bright enough to ask where his gear is, ask him where your rent's at! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Well said ABajaninCork.
    Sure what are the items in question, op? I would be willing to bet they all useless or old crap. As said above.... the stuff he left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I can almost guarantee he won't. If he really wanted his stuff, he would have taken it long ago. And if he's bright enough to ask where his gear is, ask him where your rent's at! :P

This!:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
Advertisement