Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options
  • 23-06-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

I got my first eye-full of the eye-sore that is the library last week.

Despite seeing and hearing plentiful tales of woe about the building it's fair to say I was gobsmacked by the sheer brutalism of the actual edifice.

It's gross. Not a single redeeming feature. It's actually intimidating to look at it.

If Stalin had built this as a prison designed by the KGB and placed in the most remote area of Siberia human rights activists would of been up in arms about a state torturing it's own citizens.

The only possible aesthetic solution to this is

- if DLRCC provide citizens with scaffolding and paint so we can gentrify this monstrosity by means of graffiti.

- I would also call for a methodone clinic to be placed at the reception where the good councillors and managers of the council can stay in touch with the reality of their town on a daily basis.

- an actual public toilet that is open 24/7 to give the place that 'continental feel'
    where councils provide actual public services

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

- I would also call for a methodone clinic to be placed at the reception where the good councillors and managers of the council can stay in touch with the reality of their town on a daily basis.

Get in touch with Dun Laoghaoire Business Association so.
    "Pat Downey, represented the DLBA throughout the SARA project which has seen an analysis of ASBO in the town due to homelessness , addiction , substance abuse, and the problems of the location of a Methadone Clinic in our town centre now that it at an end the association will have to consider its position going forward, the feeling is that the clinic on Patrick St is in a most unsuitable location given that the town is becoming a Marine Leisure Tourist Destination and the jobs and business that can be delivered to the town if it is considered to be a safe place to shop and work"

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is this the new beige building on the sea front there?

Saw it on Sunday for the first time - absolutely hideous. Looks totally out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

awec wrote: »
    Is this the new beige building on the sea front there?

Saw it on Sunday for the first time - absolutely hideous. Looks totally out of place.

That's the one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I can't wait for it to open. DL is crying out for a new library and I'll enjoy every moment of DLRCoCo's folly (and the locals voters who elected these councillors and ultimately paid for the building).

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Dramatik

They never seem to get it right, do they? The shopping centre, that big rusty sculpture that was on the pavillion for a bit and now the library. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I actually like it! I've only seen it from the Aircoach as it was pulling into the Marine Hotel but I though it looked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I actually like it! I've only seen it from the Aircoach as it was pulling into the Marine Hotel but I though it looked well.

I agree, but the eastern side viewed from the coast road looks like this.

2014_04_25_08_52_51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OH Dear God...

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Can anyone tell me if the chimney things are designed to provide gratuitous and additional eye-pain or if there is some sort of functionality behind them? I have a vision of the local County Coucillors being strung up above them and then some huge furnace turned on with gouts of massive flames shooting up and roasting the councillors?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Can anyone tell me if the chimney things are designed to provide gratuitous and additional eye-pain or if there is some sort of functionality behind them? I have a vision of the local County Coucillors being strung up above them and then some huge furnace turned on with gouts of massive flames shooting up and roasting the councillors?

They are designed for roasting of the whingers and moaners who complain about everything.

When you're out on the pier and you look back at the town, the new library fits quite nicely in with the other buildings, albeit with a distinctly modern feel.

RainyDay wrote: »
    When you're out on the pier and you look back at the town, the new library fits quite nicely in with the other buildings, albeit with a distinctly modern feel.

I'm pretty sure it looks really good from Hollyhead.

I'm pretty sure it looks really good from Hollyhead.

Just like yourself, then?

Just like yourself, then?

Ouch. That hurt my feelings...I might cry for a few minutes...but rest assured, once I pull myself together I will gather my intellectual resources and muster an equally devastating rebuttal.

They are designed for roasting of the whingers and moaners who complain about everything.

Most people who live and work around Dun Laoghaire do so on land rather than out at the battery.

once I pull myself together I will gather my intellectual resources
    Sorry, but I've only a couple of weeks to spare.

Whole your at olevitti or down further your view has being seriously restricted and a barrier has being put between you and the commercial part if dun laoighre.

Sorry, but I've only a couple of weeks to spare.

Another devastating personal attack. My ego is taking quite the battering. I can tell you're a master of internet discourse! It's a pleasure to personally witness such skillz...

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

I like it.

ted1 wrote: »
    Whole your at olevitti or down further your view has being seriously restricted and a barrier has being put between you and the commercial part if dun laoighre.

I've no idea what this means.

• Advertisement

Oliveto is a restauarant at the Kingston Hotel overlooking the pier.
    From that part of town it'd be like sitting in a cubicle in large office.
    You know there's stuff going on on the other side of the partition, but all you can see is the divider.

It means that the library sits to far forward and splits dun laoighre in two. When people are at the peoples park side of the library they can't see past the library and hence its a barrier that discourages them from venturing to the shops in dun laoighre and will hence kill the town more. It'll even stop people from going up to the pavilion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's like a carbunkle on the face of a much loved friend, but it's certainly a big blot on the landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

It means that the library sits to far forward and splits dun laoighre in two. When people are at the peoples park side of the library they can't see past the library and hence its a barrier that discourages them from venturing to the shops in dun laoighre and will hence kill the town more. It'll even stop people from going up to the pavilion

And you're basing this on what? It's a bit flat-earther isn't it? Here be dragons and all that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

TBF, when you're in the People's Park, your view is blocked by the high rise Georgian era housing. Once you get past the Library, the high rise Pavillion now blocks your view, turn to your left and the high rise hotel and high rise apartment blocks also block your view. Can you see a theme emerging?

On the subject of the "flower pots" on the roof, to give an idea of scale, they are about twice the height of a person. IMHO they were very much buried on original artistic representations.

You can interpret it of course, but fundamentally it is bad design. Flow and a sense of place are the two most important abstracts in designs for in-fill sites, especially for landmark public buildings, unless of course you're in Manhattan or Hong Kong. The library just jars and presents a massive big barrier, both physical and perceived.

I cant understand how a lower rise option with a horseshoe or J-shape footprint with some curves werent considered. They could still have delivered all the floor space of what was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

When I had a look at the middle of the building from two weekends ago, it actually looks very neat as it has a narrow shape for it's width. It wasn't too imposing on the view from the Royal Marine Hotel being behind it.

However, it does look very wide from it's length. If the building's width was much shorter, it wouldn't look realistic for the library and the other facilities to move in there as the space for it would be too small to make it fit.

I would find it hard to believe from the size of the building that the offices from the main council building would be rumored to move into the new library as it looks very small to use for civil servants to use on a daily basis. Some of the departments in the main building on Marine Road just could not move in there as their departments are already too big for all their staff to use every day. The housing department in DLRCOCO alone stretches for two floors in the main building. If that department moved into the library building today, half of the space would fill up immediately which means the other half of that space or even a fraction above or below it would not move into it.

I would see the library as a good build now after seeing it's eventual result.

josip wrote: »
    Oliveto is a restauarant at the Kingston Hotel overlooking the pier.
    From that part of town it'd be like sitting in a cubicle in large office.
    You know there's stuff going on on the other side of the partition, but all you can see is the divider.
    Thanks for trying.

OK, now I get it. You seem to be ignoring the fact that people will actually be coming from ALL directions TO the library building. It is a destination in itself.

OK, now I get it. You seem to be ignoring the fact that people will actually be coming from ALL directions TO the library building. It is a destination in itself.

So what? It's still a butt ugly hideous monstrosity.

Is there one single element of the design that you can defend as opposed to making snarky comments about other peoples opinions of it?

• Advertisement

So what? It's still a butt ugly hideous monstrosity.

Is there one single element of the design that you can defend as opposed to making snarky comments about other peoples opinions of it?

The view. Standing on the top floor looking out at an uninterrupted view of Dublin Bay in all its sunny glory. :cool:

Advertisement