Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Top floor is the quiet zone, you can hear a pin drop up there. Lots of seats and desks for studying. TBH, I've seen people sleeping on the big couches on the ground floor a couple of times. So yeah, it's a place big enough for all to enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Top floor is the quiet zone, you can hear a pin drop up there. Lots of seats and desks for studying. TBH, I've seen people sleeping on the big couches on the ground floor a couple of times.
    No problems with the sleeping, that is part and parcel of every library I have been to.
    But as said, the childrens exited fun and games reached well up to the top floor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it's a philosophy in all the local libraries.

Dalkey, Deansgrange, and Blackrock all have pretty big children's sections where you end up with kids making a bit of noise.

Tbh though it's only a certain times that the noise from the kids section is loud.

Most of the day it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I dont see the councillors giving up their new unused offices for this purpose though.
    What offices are you talking about here? The Councillors don't have offices in the Lexicon. In fact, they don't have offices at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

RainyDay wrote: »
    What offices are you talking about here? The Councillors don't have offices in the Lexicon. In fact, they don't have offices at all.

Oh right my mistake, who (partly) occupies all the offices in the Lexicon then?

• Advertisement

Oh right my mistake, who (partly) occupies all the offices in the Lexicon then?

The only offices in the building are for the staff that work in the building.

A few quiet rooms would be simple enough to add in.

I don't see the Lexicon employees giving up their new unused offices for this purpose though. The main purpose of a library might I add :confused:

A few quiet rooms would be simple enough to add in.

I don't see the Lexicon employees giving up their new unused offices for this purpose though. The main purpose of a library might I add :confused:

Something like this? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94668780&postcount=302

Except:
    Chinasea wrote: »
    But as said, the childrens exited fun and games reached well up to the top floor.

Except:

Isn't it strange how schools and play centres and creches routinely manage to have active children without sound leaking to other floors, but not here?

It's hard to seriously believe that there is noise pollution to the quiet zone on an ongoing basis.

• Advertisement

Isn't it strange how schools and play centres and creches routinely manage to have active children without sound leaking to other floors, but not here?

It's hard to seriously believe that there is noise pollution to the quiet zone on an ongoing basis.

Have you got some interest in the Lexicon, local government or library?

Or just an independent local with strong views?

Have you got some interest in the Lexicon, local government or library?

Or just an independent local with strong views?

I'm a public servant, though I'm not involved in the local govt or library service. I get slightly miffed when people make up stuff to complain about (like the 'councilors unused offices'. It's a tad frustrating when the rest of world thinks they know everything about your job, when actually if the truth were told, they know SFA. Hence my frustration.

I've been in Lexicon for about 10 minutes. To me, the library looked great, though the coffee shop looked tacky. I've no problem with anyone criticising public services for valid reasons. I could do that all day myself.

But I do get miffed when people make up stuff to complain about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm a public servant, though I'm not involved in the local govt or library service. I get slightly miffed when people make up stuff to complain about (like the 'councilors unused offices'. It's a tad frustrating when the rest of world thinks they know everything about your job, when actually if the truth were told, they know SFA. Hence my frustration.

I'm also a public servant and I can tell you for a fact that the noise from the children's section does carry to the top floor "quiet area". Don't get me wrong it's hardly a racket but it's certainly loud enough to be off putting.

The problem is the the top floor is more of a balcony than a floor in that it's not closed off from the rest of the Library so the noise carries up to it.
    But I do get miffed when people make up stuff to complain about.

Are you suggesting people are lying in this thread?

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I'm also a public servant and I can tell you for a fact that the noise from the children's section does carry to the top floor "quiet area". Don't get me wrong it's hardly a racket but it's certainly loud enough to be off putting.

The problem is the the top floor is more of a balcony than a floor in that it's not closed off from the rest of the Library so the noise carries up to it.
    That's dissapointing obviously, though I notice at least one other poster didn't have any problems with the quiet area.
    Kingp35 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting people are lying in this thread?

I'm suggesting that it's not unknown for people to make up stuff to complain about, like the 'unused Councillors offices' mentioned above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I'm suggesting that it's not unknown for people to make up stuff to complain about, like the 'unused Councillors offices' mentioned above.

Well, they could be making it up - or merely recycling gossip that reaffirms their prejudices ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Think the problem with Sunday opening in DL would be that all other libraries would be under pressure to provide Sunday opening as well.

But I agree as Sunday is probably the busiest day on the seafront..

I think the problem with Sunday opening is that management would have to go through the union to sanction it. I can understand staff resistance to this, especially as they have had wages reduced and work increased over the years, but it seems counterproductive to have libraries closed on Sundays.

I would love to go to the library on a Sunday. It is the ONLY day that I would get a chance, what with working every single day and paying tax. I am happy to pay tax, but I would like to reap a little reward now and again. I have had jobs in the past where I have worked on a Sunday and had an alternative day off in the past. Library staff could equally do the same.

This facility is perfect too for a tired, weary worker to snatch a little chance to have a chill out moment, submerge in some reading or surfing in a purpose built €36 million library. IMO it is unfortunate that the noise from the excited children is omnipresent and has not been filtered or planned for more adequately, it is simply not conducive IMO to escapism or study.

I would love to go to the library on a Sunday. It is the ONLY day that I would get a chance, what with working every single day and paying tax. I am happy to pay tax, but I would like to reap a little reward now and again. I have had jobs in the past where I have worked on a Sunday and had an alternative day off in the past. Library staff could equally do the same.
    It's not a matter of 'having an alternative day off'. If you want to open 7 days instead of 6, you need more staff, or you cut the staff numbers on each day. Given that numbers have been cut back repeatedly over recent years, it is unlikely to be practical to cut again.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of this trend towards everyone working 7 days. There is something to be said for the 'day of rest' idea, not for religious reasons, but to allow some breathing space for families and communities.
    This facility is perfect too for a tired, weary worker to snatch a little chance to have a chill out moment, submerge in some reading or surfing in a purpose built €36 million library. IMO it is unfortunate that the noise from the excited children is omnipresent and has not been filtered or planned for more adequately, it is simply not conducive IMO to escapism or study.
    'Omni-present'? Do these kids not go to school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Sure RainyDay, but a library whose opening hours largely consist of when neither adults nor schoolchildren can avail of it's facilities, is rather pointless. No?

My local library was open til 8:30 wed-fri as a child, when they cut it back to 7:30 I stopped going entirely with my Dad. I never returned in a further 15 years of living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

It is open for ten and a half straight hours most days and is open six consecutive days a week. If you want to find time to visit, its hardly too difficult. And the kids area hasn't distracted me from my studies on any occasion I've been down there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Alias G wrote: »
    It is open for ten and a half straight hours most days and is open six consecutive days a week. If you want to find time to visit, its hardly too difficult. And the kids area hasn't distracted me from my studies on any occasion I've been down there.

That isn't the point. 9.30 to 6, or even 7pm is mostly dead time for any working adult. That gives ~5 hours during the week and saturday to visit. Someone was asking about Sunday opening, and in that respect - as a public resource, Sunday opening makes far more sense than any of the Mon-Fri openings.

With unemployment running at 10% and youth unemployment much higher, many housewives not working or working part-time, a quarter of the population are school children and also the fact the DL has a huge pensioner population.

The average adult working time is hardly the most relevant indicator of potential users.

Fully employed people are a minority of the population. Nationally 1.9 million out of a population of 4.6 million, or 40% - and due to the high number of pensioners in DL town and adjoining areas that could be as low as one third of the population in the library catchment.

The average adult working time is hardly the most relevant indicator of potential users.

As said, I am happy to pay tax that go towards projects like this, but I would like to be able to utilise this €36 million facility on the one and only day I could even contemplate getting near the place. Perhaps volunteers could man the library on the Sunday if the workers don't want to work on Sunday.

Most libraries on the scale of this library open on Sundays in the UK....

As said, I am happy to pay tax that go towards projects like this, but I would like to be able to utilise this €36 million facility on the one and only day I could even contemplate getting near the place. Perhaps volunteers could man the library on the Sunday if the workers don't want to work on Sunday.

Perhaps you'd like to contact them and offer your own services as a Sunday volunteer?

Perhaps you'd like to contact them and offer your own services as a Sunday volunteer?
    I think you are missing my point, and your response is obvious. If I had free time I would gladly volunteer, as would many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

With unemployment running at 10% and youth unemployment much higher, many housewives not working or working part-time, a quarter of the population are school children and also the fact the DL has a huge pensioner population.

Fully employed people are a minority of the population. Nationally 1.9 million out of a population of 4.6 million, or 40% - and due to the high number of pensioners in DL town and adjoining areas that could be as low as one third of the population in the library catchment.

So if the library closed on Monday instead of Sunday it wouldn't make a difference to the groups you mention. They would still have access to the library 6 days a week.

It would increase the potential usage as people in Monday to Friday employment would now have access to the library for 2 full days a week instead of one.

wally79 wrote: »
    So if the library closed on Monday instead of Sunday it wouldn't make a difference to the groups you mention. They would still have access to the library 6 days a week.

It would increase the potential usage as people in Monday to Friday employment would now have access to the library for 2 full days a week instead of one.

That is a good point. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

wally79 wrote: »

This is the arrangement for most museums and galleries around Europe.

Surprised they can't work something like this into libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

They do? I've lived in Manchester, London and Edinburgh and I have library card in each city. Not once have I had the chance to set foot in a lending library on a Sunday, so please stop attempting to justify Sunday opening hours by saying "Oh they do it UK" without any facts to back that statement up.

Manchester - Central Library
    Edinburgh - Central Library
    London - Camden Town Library

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Tragedy wrote: »
    That isn't the point. 9.30 to 6, or even 7pm is mostly dead time for any working adult. That gives ~5 hours during the week and saturday to visit. Someone was asking about Sunday opening, and in that respect - as a public resource, Sunday opening makes far more sense than any of the Mon-Fri openings.

I would have thought that roughly 13 hours per week was ample time to visit a library. What exactly do you plan on doing there?

Advertisement