Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

2014_04_25_08_52_51.jpg

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Can barely see the library in that photo at all Yer_Aul_One, it might as well be invisible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

josip wrote: »
    Comic genius. Really. I smile every time I read it.

Or are you seriously suggesting that we relocate everyone in Dun Laoghaire to live and work on the piers?
    And only access them by boat from the seaward side?

Don't be silly.

Coming from town you don't notice it.

On the piers you don't notice it.

It's only coming from Sandycove that you notice it.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Don't be silly.

There's already two photos that show a very noticeable Library. It seems you excel at not noticing things.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Tragedy wrote: »
    Can barely see the library in that photo at all Yer_Aul_One, it might as well be invisible

sure once the trees are in bloom it will be hidden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Don't be silly.

And from the 5th floor of the Royal Marine you don't notice it.

2w4fmhc.jpg

(Does my bum look big in this?)

Is that a water feature?

Is that a water feature?

No, Dublin Bay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You're looking straight at it from right beside it, of course you're going to notice it!

You're looking straight at it from right beside it, of course you're going to notice it!
    CatFromHue wrote:
    Don't be silly.

We have an equivocator.

• Advertisement

There's already two photos that show a very noticeable Library. It seems you excel at not noticing things.

;)

eughhh

one of the pics was taken right in front of it.

the other at night looking towards a lit up building.

when I stand in front of a building and look straight at it, it was true I will see it.

at night when you light up a building against a black sky you will also see it. that's the point of the lights.

you're grasping at straws here.

Don't be silly.

And from space you don't...

2m6trw8.png

Hang on a sec, is that...

(Congrats on 12,000 posts by the way)

You can only see it from space if you're coming from Sandycove

Said the equivocator

don't bother discussing anything, just insult me instead.

well done

don't bother discussing anything, just insult me instead.

well done

What's there to discuss with you?
    People gave out about it ruining the views, it's not really that bad. You don't notice it from either pier.
    Don't be silly.

eughhh

one of the pics was taken right in front of it.

the other at night looking towards a lit up building.

when I stand in front of a building and look straight at it, it was true I will see it.

at night when you light up a building against a black sky you will also see it. that's the point of the lights.

you're grasping at straws here.

You're being disingenuous to an extreme.

No I haven't.

I said people give out about it ruining the views, but it's not that bad, and it's only really noticeable from the Sandycove side.

I did fail to mention that if you stand right in front of it and look directly at it that it's very noticeable but I didn't think I really needed to say that.

I haven't changed my argument at all.

A photo from the biggest landmark in Dun Laoighaire (Royal Marine) isn't "standing right in front of it and looking directly". A wide angle photo from the unfinished pier isn't "standing right in front of it and looking directly". A photo at the best possible angle from halfway up the east pier is not "standing right in front of it and looking directly".

You have changed your argument and you are being disingenuous.

Your answer to every photo that shows differently is to equivocate.

The pic from the Royal Marine is pointed straight at the Library so of course you're going to notice it.

The night time pic from the West pier the Library stands out as it's the most lit up. As I said earlier I had to specifically point the Library out to my friend when we were on the West pier in daylight.

I'm not sure which pic you're referring to when you say the unfinished pier.

Remember I never said it was invisible. I said it doesn't ruin the view and is only really noticeable from the Sandycove side.

And you just spent an entire post equivocating away from your original statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Lads, I'm lost. What were we discussing again? I believe the political classes call the term "the substantive issue". I think we're on to discussing derivatives of tangents to whatever the substantive issue is. Has anyone mentioned the German guy yet?

z

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Well, I think it looks well from every angle...and I've got very good taste and a superior visual aesthetic sense :)

Well, I think it looks well from every angle...and I've got very good taste and a superior visual aesthetic sense :)

That you may have, but have you got a master's degree in librarianism?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The pic from the Royal Marine is pointed straight at the Library so of course you're going to notice it.

The night time pic from the West pier the Library stands out as it's the most lit up. As I said earlier I had to specifically point the Library out to my friend when we were on the West pier in daylight.

I'm not sure which pic you're referring to when you say the unfinished pier.

Remember I never said it was invisible. I said it doesn't ruin the view and is only really noticeable from the Sandycove side.

Not only. One of my least favourite aspects of it, is that it obscures the Mariners church from Queens Road. Badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not only. One of my least favourite aspects of it, is that it obscures the Mariners church from Queens Road. Badly.

Well, it's obviously a statement of the modern scientific and cultural intellect power over the outdated religious zealots? No? :rolleyes:

IMO
    It looks great from the Royal Marine (as long as the cladding stays that colour and the pools are maintained.
    It looks good from the East Pier, blends well into the mismash of the Dun Laoghaire skyline (if you can call it that)
    It looks great from the West Pier (the photo at night from above looks great)
    Finally, it's horrific from the Sandycove side. The red brick is hidious and it does seem to simply dominate the landscape.
    So hey, 3 good views out of 4 ain't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A half decent architecture student would have got you 4/4 decent aspects for her end of term project.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A half decent architecture student would have got you 4/4 decent aspects for her end of term project.

I spent fours years with half decent architectural students and can confirm this is grossly untrue...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Still think it looks lovely

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

To be fair some of the entrants were awful or bland so I'm glad this one came out tops.
    Best of a bad bunch to be honest :)

dun-laoghaire-competition#

70.jpg

01-Irish.jpg

library-painel-1.jpeg

2.jpg

lib_1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

josip wrote: »
    That you may have, but have you got a master's degree in librarianism?

Haven't even done Librarianism 101! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

crushproof wrote: »
    To be fair some of the entrants were awful or bland so I'm glad this one came out tops.
    Best of a bad bunch to be honest :)

dun-laoghaire-competition#

70.jpg

01-Irish.jpg

library-painel-1.jpeg

2.jpg

lib_1.jpg
    Probably due to the scope of the tender.

Advertisement