Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I rather like that "rising stone" proposal - think what that would have done to the view from Teddy's to the Town Clock! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

My big beef is the brutalist architecture that this building seems to reference fairly heavily. The Irish state seems to have a particular fondness for building monumental lumps of buildings since the 70's - in particular the Dublin civic offices come to mind, however it's possible to include the central bank, bus aras (just eeugh and I don't care who says its architecturally important...).

I would love to see some great big adventurous architecture in Dublin, I sincerely believe we need to build upwards but this sprawling 5 storey lump of an eye-sore is over bearing, misplaced and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

As much as I hate the external architecture. There is not much to argue with the internal. It is one of the nicest spaces I have been in. Beautifully airy and comfortable.
    I also really like the gardens and water features.

It really is a shame that the design has brought up so much negative feeling. The role of the architects is to avoid this feedback at all costs, especially considering the lifetime of such buildings.

As an amenity, what a gift to the people of Dun Laoghaire though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As much as I hate the external architecture. There is not much to argue with the internal. It is one of the nicest spaces I have been in. Beautifully airy and comfortable.
    I also really like the gardens and water features.

It really is a shame that the design has brought up so much negative feeling. The role of the architects is to avoid this feedback at all costs, especially considering the lifetime of such buildings.

As an amenity, what a gift to the people of Dun Laoghaire though.

The role of County Councillors is to make sure they don't accept poor work when it is put in front of them. Failures all over the place with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Not necessarily - this would lead to hugely bland buildings. I'd prefer distinctive, even if if means a few are distinctively not to my taste/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

The role of the architects is to avoid this feedback at all costs, especially considering the lifetime of such buildings.

I'm not sure that's true. Architecture is always somewhat subjective and personal, it would be impossible to design something that everyone loves.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    The role of County Councillors is to make sure they don't accept poor work when it is put in front of them. Failures all over the place with this.

I haven't seen any failure, just a building that some people don't like.

Big difference between it not being to some people's taste and people hating the building.
    No architect wants to create something that invokes such strong negative feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Big difference between it not being to some people's taste and people hating the building.
    No architect wants to create something that invokes such strong negative feeling.

The Eiffel tower was hated by Parisiens for years and was even scheduled to be demolished. Londoners quite famously hate the Shard. I'm not suggesting that the Lexicon is in their league but architects design buildings that evoke strong feelings all the time.

markpb wrote: »
    architects design buildings that evoke strong feelings all the time.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricorn_Centre

this springs to mind. But knowing the Tricorn as I did, the Lexicon is not even in the same league.

• Advertisement

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricorn_Centre

this springs to mind. But knowing the Tricorn as I did, the Lexicon is not even in the same league.

Is the Lexicon that much better that it's in a different league? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Big ask for any architect considering DL has one of the highest concentration of nimbys on the planet.

Taken from the Irish Times coverage of the official opening last week.
    Political football

Architect Louise Cotter commented on how the dir Lexicon had “become a bit of a political football” during last year’s local election campaign when there were calls for it to be demolished. “But we hardly noticed as we were trying to get it finished,” she said.

The building's scale was dictated by its planned uses, she said, but its design was “inspired by the site.” Towards the entrance “it is lower, in tune with the town” whereas from the sea it complemented the church towers and steeples nearby.

Patsy McGarry

Personally I think to describe the building as 'in tune with the town' and 'complementing' nearby church towers and steeples is so off the mark as to call into question her professional credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

At first I disliked the library but have to say I quite like it now. From Killiney Hill it looks quite impressive and seems to fit in well. Also, any time I've been in Dun Laoghaire I wouldn't have said it was over-bearing. It does seem to fit in nicely, haven't seen it from the pier though yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    At first I disliked the library but have to say I quite like it now. From Killiney Hill it looks quite impressive and seems to fit in well. Also, any time I've been in Dun Laoghaire I wouldn't have said it was over-bearing. It does seem to fit in nicely, haven't seen it from the pier though yet.

It is a quality building, but the scale is just slighly off for the space it's in. If it was 20% smaller and stayed more at the back, if they got rid of the chimneys and some/most of this darker brickwork... I don't think there would be complaints.

The plaza it now creates with the hotel is a very enjoyable space to be in with its great views and airy, relaxing mood, but the Sandycove façade is just that bit too aggressive. You can see the disproportion from the start of the pier, then it looks much better from the end of it as the angle changes and it blends into the background better.

Just one quick example of the kind of innovative service available at the Lexicon - you know, the building that many posters here tell us should be shut down and replaced by an iPad or two.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/the-health-centre/autism-spectrum-how-to-catch-a-child-s-imagination-1.2174190

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

RainyDay wrote: »
    Just one quick example of the kind of innovative service available at the Lexicon - you know, the building that many posters here tell us should be shut down and replaced by an iPad or two.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/the-health-centre/autism-spectrum-how-to-catch-a-child-s-imagination-1.2174190

Hmmnn.
    Should we be thankful then to the developers that destroyed our economy for funding the building?
    Meanwhile back in the real world...
    http://www.thejournal.ie/autism-ireland-936256-Jun2013/
    https://www.facebook.com/Irishautism/posts/628522310494398
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/support-for-mother-of-children-with-autism-1.499524
    http://irishautismaction.blogspot.ie/2011/09/march-against-cuts-in-education.html

josip wrote: »
    You really think the choice was;

A) Dun Laoghaire library, or
    B) Services for children with autism?

Reminds me a bit of the €20 million the Government gave for the redevelopment of Croke Park - apparently that exact €20 million was so special it could have solved all of Ireland's problems had it only been spent on something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What's your point, same thing could happen in any other building in the country

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

Obviously people who don't like the building don't support initiatives for children with learning disabilities.

Very cheap comment to be fair...

Yes but few other building have the location and beauty of the Lexicon.

Obviously people who don't like the building don't support initiatives for children with learning disabilities.

Very cheap comment to be fair...

The point was fairly clear from my post, not from your twisted version.

I didn't say it was an explicit choice, but the economic strategy that "provided for" the new library, also destroyed many essential services in our society.

Which of the above 2 comments is a valid, relevant question?
    Which of the above 2 comments is a cheap, personal comment?

josip wrote: »
    Which of the above 2 comments is a valid, relevant question?
    Which of the above 2 comments is a cheap, personal comment?

I think you have taken mine up wrong. I was referring to this as a cheap comment:

Apologies. I misunderstood your post.

I think you have taken mine up wrong. I was referring to this as a cheap comment:
    From the person who comes out with "Obviously people who don't like the building don't support initiatives for children with learning disabilities", pots and black kettles spring to mind.

I think its important to clarify that that €36 million could only have been spent on cultural and amenity facilities, such are the development levy rules.

I would have spent it differently personally, but its not money lost to health or housing or social care etc.

• Advertisement

From the person who comes out with "Obviously people who don't like the building don't support initiatives for children with learning disabilities", pots and black kettles spring to mind.

I think it needed pointing out how inane your comment was.

Advertisement