Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

It must be near time to lock up this thread, the sh1te that gets spouted here is ridiculous,

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Time for a new NIMBY thread perhaps? ;)

dun-laoghaire-cruise-terminal-390x285.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Larbre34 wrote: »

O Lord, not another one!

I guess this is a simple case of most people like it and some people don't and never the twain shall agree.

To most of us who like it it ain't such a big deal one way or another; but some of those who hate it seem a bit obsessed with it. To the extent of actually calling for it to be demolished just as it was completed!

I guess you'd call that fundamentalist Nimby jihadism :)

The picture prompts me to note - imagine the hysterical objections if DL seafront looked exactly as it does in the picture except the harbour walls were missing and the Council proposed to build them?!

The Nimby whines would be heard all the way to Hollyhead....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think its important to clarify that that €36 million could only have been spent on cultural and amenity facilities, such are the development levy rules.

I would have spent it differently personally, but its not money lost to health or housing or social care etc.

Understood, which is why I've referred to the economic strategy that led to it rather than suggesting the €36m could have been spent on special needs assistants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I think it needed pointing out how inane your comment was.

I'm sorry that I didn't meet your standards. The next time I need to point out the value of the library service in the context of a series of ill-informed posts about how libraries aren't used anymore, I will try to do better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

RainyDay wrote: »
    Just one quick example of the kind of innovative service available at the Lexicon - you know, the building that many posters here tell us should be shut down and replaced by an iPad or two.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/the-health-centre/autism-spectrum-how-to-catch-a-child-s-imagination-1.2174190
    As others have said, what about the Lexicon specifically allows this 'innovative' service that any other facility couldn't?

Tragedy wrote: »
    As others have said, what about the Lexicon specifically allows this 'innovative' service that any other facility couldn't?

Specifically, the availability of free space in a book-friendly environment in a central location in Dun Laoghaire, for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Specifically, the availability of free space in a book-friendly environment in a central location in Dun Laoghaire, for a start.

Specifically a lack of any cost benefit analysis.

And claiming that the money had to be spent anyway because it was sourced form development levies is a shocking indictment of any due diligence surrounding this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Specifically a lack of any cost benefit analysis.

And claiming that the money had to be spent anyway because it was sourced form development levies is a shocking indictment of any due diligence surrounding this project.

Are you certain there was no cost benefit analysis?

Don't think anyone is claiming it "had to be spent anyway" rather that it had to be spent in a certain way, ie it couldn't be for extra hospital beds or teaching assistants etc... which is nothing at all to do with due diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

And away we go
    Approximately 150 attended a public meeting in Dún Laoghaire organised to mount a “major campaign” against a proposed cruise berth in the harbour.
    Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company is to seek planning permission to replace the former Stena Line berth with a facility to accommodate large cruise ships.
    The meeting, which was organised by Save Our Seafront, a lobby group chaired by local People Before Profit TD Richard Boyd-Barrett, heard the group was appealing to Minister for Tourism Paschal Donohoe to intervene and direct the €18 million project be “shelved”.
    Irish Times

Whoever it was that said Dun Laoghaire has the highest concentration of NIMBYs in Ireland was dead right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

markpb wrote: »
    And away we go

Irish Times

Whoever it was that said Dun Laoghaire has the highest concentration of NIMBYs in Ireland was dead right.

No, no, no, that's Dalkey. It's a suburb of DL. Different place entirely. I dare you walk along the main street in Dalkey and say "God, I'd love a Storbucks right now"

z

The Strategic infrastructure legislation knows no emotion.

If the EIS is generally moderate, itll pass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How often do these cruise ships come in?

I wouldn't have though they'd be that frequent, certainly not weekly anyway.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    How often do these cruise ships come in?

I wouldn't have though they'd be that frequent, certainly not weekly anyway.

If it was this season, it would be 22. Thats 22 days between April and September from about 6am to 7pm. So perhaps a little less than one a week.

If they work the schedule to avoid the busy Thursday night sailing programme, disruption might be minimal.

I have to say, unlike the library, i dont accept the visual pollution argument on the size of the ships. Ive seen them up close in places like Dubrovnik and Fort Lauderdale and they are impressively huge, but they are only there for 12 hours at a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I just don't see the benefit of cruise ships to the area. No one is going get off a cruise ship and nip in to Dun Laoghaire for a hair cut. I think this is just another one of the council's vanity project.

It did make my smile When I read about the senior councillor who had to go to Miami on a fact finding trip.

The Celtic Tiger's back guys, roll out the hookers and coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I just don't see the benefit of cruise ships to the area. No one is going get off a cruise ship and nip in to Dun Laoghaire for a hair cut. I think this is just another one of the council's vanity projects

People will come on day trips to DL over Howth or Bray to show these ships to kids... It should definitely increase interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I kind of like the look of the building, like a giant aircraft carrier sailing out of harbour. But what I can't understand is why a building facing one of the most beautiful sea views in Dublin should have almost completely blank walls.
    But then - unlike any seaside town in France - Dublin has virtually no restaurants or cafes looking out on the sea. We seem to have a bizarrely mediated attitude to our surrounding ocean.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Date Vessel Details
    12/05/15 Royal Princess 3600 passengers/1346 crew
    20/05/15 Queen Mary 2 3000 passengers / 1328 crew
    21/05/15 Splendida 3900 passengers / 1313 crew
    24/05/15 Royal Princess 3600 passengers / 1346 crew
    05/06/15 Royal Princess 3600 passengers / 1346 crew
    14/06/15 Celebrity Silhouette 2886 passengers / 1525 crew
    19/06/15 Island Sky 116 passengers / 66 crew
    26/06/15 Star Legend 208 passengers / 164 crew
    29/06/15 Royal Princess 3600 passengers / 1346 crew
    29/06/15 Wind Surf 312 passengers / 312 crew
    12/07/15 Star Legend 208 passengers / 164 crew
    14/07/15 Brittania 3647 passengers / 1350 crew
    17/07/15 Royal Princess 3600 passengers / 1346 crew
    23/07/15 Royal Princess 3600 passengers / 1346 crew
    23/07/15 Celebrity Silhouette 3145 passengers / 1525 crew
    04/08/15 Royal Princess 3600 passengers / 1346 crew
    15/08/15 Celebrity Silhouette 3145 passengers / 1525 crew
    16/08/15 Royal Princess 3600 passengers / 1346 crew
    28/08/15 Royal Princess 3600 passengers / 1346 crew
    29/08/15 Splendida 3900 passengers / 1346 crew
    18/09/15 Mein Schiff 4 2500 passengers / 1000 crew
    http://dlharbour.ie/cruise-schedule/

As someone who has worked on passenger vessels, that's a lot of crew who will be interested in coming ashore and buying stuff in the likes of pennies, argos, etc. The local coffee shops and any "traditional" Irish Pubs will do a good trade if they can make themselves known. If that could be replicated year after year, DL could be transformed into a booming little town again. Opportunity is knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Err, the harbour was built specifically for this sort of thing. I really don't get the idea that we should put the ships somewhere else. This is where they go.

As for the numbers of vessels - there's a steady stream into Dublin port during the Summer. Why not get some of them into DL instead.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Tabnabs wrote: »
    http://dlharbour.ie/cruise-schedule/

As someone who has worked on passenger vessels, that's a lot of crew who will be interested in coming ashore and buying stuff in the likes of pennies, argos, etc. The local coffee shops and any "traditional" Irish Pubs will do a good trade if they can make themselves known. If that could be replicated year after year, DL could be transformed into a booming little town again. Opportunity is knocking.

Totally agree, its nothing but a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

For those who think of DL as a pretty harbour for little sailing yachts

hms-ajax-at-kingstown.jpg

Harbour.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROR65hkEsHdaARPQYH0E5VoQ4eMNO7kjmQr6Un1roAMHOt2Ect

013.jpg?w=500&h=342

card00667_fr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ah, remembering the Boat Train, when the train used to run right up beside the boat and you'd walk off and up the gangway! And that lovely frilly white-painted iron-and-glass gazebo the train ran to…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I just don't see the benefit of cruise ships to the area. No one is going get off a cruise ship and nip in to Dun Laoghaire for a hair cut. I think this is just another one of the council's vanity project.

exactly, there's no point in a project like this as long as 1/3 of Dun Laoghaire is charity shops/ € shops/hairdressers, and another third is empty units.

far too much emphasis has been placed on the seafront, while the "main street" continues on the road to ruin.

It did make my smile When I read about the senior councillor who had to go to Miami on a fact finding trip.

Just to clarify, it was a senior Council official, not a Councillor who travelled.

Just to clarify, it was a senior Council official, not a Councillor who travelled.

It's also worth pointing out that Miami is the cruise trade capital of the world. If you want to do business in the industry you need to get on a plane and head over there. All the major cruise companies have their head offices in Miami.

My bad.

worthwhile trip, I'm sure. Much better than popping over to Southampton for the day.

http://www.cruiseshippingevents.com/miami

Southampton? how very parochial...

Tabnabs wrote: »
    http://www.cruiseshippingevents.com/miami

Southampton? how very parochial...

I would never, ever, recommend a visit to Southampton for parochial reasons.

They eat babies there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

exactly, there's no point in a project like this as long as 1/3 of Dun Laoghaire is charity shops/ € shops/hairdressers, and another third is empty units.

far too much emphasis has been placed on the seafront, while the "main street" continues on the road to ruin.

The main street is now the seafront! Dl could happily do without Georges St; without the seafront and harbour it would be nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Perhaps the council are taking the view that they should provide the facilities which will encourage people into Dun Laoghaire to shop and then private businesses will do the rest. Why would it be the other way round?

Advertisement