Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Is there one single element of the design that you can defend as opposed to making snarky comments about other peoples opinions of it?

Like I said above "When you're out on the pier and you look back at the town, the new library fits quite nicely in with the other buildings, albeit with a distinctly modern feel."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I Have to say, I'm impressed with it, can't wait to see the inside

21/25

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was there a need for it to be so big?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

awec wrote: »

Not so tall, yes. They could have achieved the same or more floor space with a lower design with a larger footprint. The aspiration for a landmark building went too far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's as if an outgoing county manager wanted to leave a legacy behind...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

awec wrote: »

The council staff will appreciate the large car park

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

And you're basing this on what? It's a bit flat-earther isn't it? Here be dragons and all that.

What are you on about ?

ted1 wrote: »
    The council staff will appreciate the large car park

You're right, they will appreciate that library customers will be able to come and use the car park, while Council staff continue to use their existing car park.

Do you really need to grasp at rumours like this to criticise it?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not so tall, yes. They could have achieved the same or more floor space with a lower design with a larger footprint. The aspiration for a landmark building went too far.

Yea sorry, when I meant big I meant tall.

From one side it almost looks like a huge factory.

If you took off the chimneys (or whatever those things are) then I think the building would look good if it was in the right setting. Unfortunately a small seaside town isn't really the right setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

RainyDay wrote: »
    You're right, they will appreciate that library customers will be able to come and use the car park, while Council staff continue to use their existing car park.

My friend you are defending the undefensible. It's a large monstrosity of a building totally out of character with everything around it in terms of scale, height, etc etc.

It blocks many peoples views and is nothing but a blot on the landscape. .

The level of cynicism on here is nothing compared to what ordinary people would say to your face. So yes, parking for the council staff, etc etc is how the ''Library'' is perceived. Do you really think people believe that a library
    1. will take up all the space in this building?
    2.had to be built on the some of the most prime real estate in the town?

By the way I am not employed by the council, I have never even looked at the plans for the 'Library'. I have been in the County council building a few times on business.

• Advertisement

jcon1913 wrote: »
    So yes, parking for the council staff, etc etc is how the ''Library'' is perceived. Do you really think people believe that a library
    1. will take up all the space in this building?
    [...]
    By the way I am not employed by the council, I have never even looked at the plans for the 'Library'. I have been in the County council building a few times on business.

Here's a mad idea. Have a look at the plans before you criticise.

For the record, I'm not employed by the Council. I have been in the County council building a few times on business. I am a customer of DLR Libraries, though I've only been in the Dun Laoghaire branch once.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Can you confirm that public parking will be available? Where will the parking for the new staff offices be located exactly?

My friend you are defending the undefensible. It's a large monstrosity of a building totally out of character with everything around it in terms of scale, height, etc etc.

It blocks many peoples views and is nothing but a blot on the landscape. .

scale and height eh?

dun4.jpg

TBF, it fits right in with the other high rise private properties all around it.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Can you confirm that public parking will be available? Where will the parking for the new staff offices be located exactly?

I have, and I'll take that as a no...

I have
    Then you know as much about it as I so, so I've no idea why you're asking me for details.

Then you know as much about it as I so, so I've no idea why you're asking me for details.

So your post about parking is pure speculation on your part? At least that's clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

scale and height eh?

dun4.jpg

TBF, it fits right in with the other high rise private properties all around it.

It appears even more fitting from orbit.

scale and height eh?

dun4.jpg

Good one, now take a photo from Dun Laoghaiore Baths or from the National Yacht Club.

By the way high rise private properties would not get that planning permission - and nothing you say will make me believe that it would get permission in the hands of an ordinary person, before you waste your time trying to convince me otherwise.

From the extremities of the pier where your photo is taken from it fits right in.

But then Killiney ''hill'' looks like a small pile of rubble. From the angle you have taken your photo from.

For the record, I'm not employed by the Council. I have been in the County council building a few times on business. I am a customer of DLR Libraries, though I've only been in the Dun Laoghaire branch once.
    I don't need to look at plans to know that this building is ugly, looks totally out of place, should have been built somewhere else, blocks light, is a monument to stupidity, looks way too big to house every library in the DunLaoghaire area. But that's just my opinion.

There was no need for the council to construct such a tall building in such a prominent site. Period.

• Advertisement

So your post about parking is pure speculation on your part? At least that's clear.
    My post is ndeed pure speculation, just as the post that attempts to spread FUD about the Council staff using the Library car park is pure speculation.
    I don't need to look at plans to know that this building is ugly, looks totally out of place, should have been built somewhere else, blocks light, is a monument to stupidity, looks way too big to house every library in the DunLaoghaire area. But that's just my opinion.

There was no need for the council to construct such a tall building in such a prominent site. Period.
    Indeed, that is 'just your opinion'.

It is impossible for anybody to build a large building and please everybody. So let's just take it for granted that when a Council builds a large building, x% of the population are not going to like it. That's just the way it is.

That doesn't make it a bad decision or bad design. period. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

It is impossible for anybody to build a large building and please everybody. So let's just take it for granted that when a Council builds a large building, x% of the population are not going to like it. That's just the way it is.
    But equally that doesn't mean that the design or cost should not be open to scrutiny from the public who ultimately funded the building. Your argument and that of others sounds rather like that which was put forward when the Dublin Corporation offices at Wood Quay were built - i.e. you'll always have moaners who will complain and stand in the way of "progress".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

ted1 wrote: »
    What are you on about ?

You were suggesting that the building bisects the town and would discourage people from travelling beyond the building (ie as they couldn't see what would lie beyond it) which I thought was a rather foolish position to take so ridiculed it.

But equally that doesn't mean that the design or cost should not be open to scrutiny from the public who ultimately funded the building. Your argument and that of others sounds rather like that which was put forward when the Dublin Corporation offices at Wood Quay were built - i.e. you'll always have moaners who will complain and stand in the way of "progress".

It was open to public scrutiny. They held a public consultation. Did you submit your objections then?

In fact:
    Was there any public consultation prior to the Development?

Yes. As a local authority own development the Central Library & Cultural Centre was subject to what is referred to as a Part 8 process. The planning reference number for the development is PC/08/09. The planning process involved the following:

The plans were referred to the Dun Laoghaire Area Committee meeting on 25th May 2009 for the Councillors information.

It was put on public display in the Council offices in Dun Laoghaire and Dundrum from 10th August 2009 to 21st September 2009 and the public had a further two weeks until 5th October 2009 to make a submission.

33 submissions were received. These submissions were considered and summarised and a comprehensive Manager’s report was prepared for the Council meeting on 9th November 2009. At this Council meeting the Councillors approved the proposed development under minute number C/549/09.
    http://mariebaker.net/2014/dun-laoghaires-new-library/

Indeed, that is 'just your opinion'.

It is impossible for anybody to build a large building and please everybody.So let's just take it for granted that when a Council builds a large building, x% of the population are not going to like it. That's just the way it is.

That doesn't make it a bad decision or bad design. period. But that's just my opinion.

''It is impossible for anybody to build a large building and please everybody.'' I agree but this building is so outrageously wrong everyone is giving out about it. Why did the council get it so wrong? And is it all ''Library''?

Edit _ I just had a look at Marie Bakers note referenced by a previous poster, and I can see that there is much more than a Main Library in the building. The question is did the building have to be so tall and on the seafront, and was it vital, for example to have a 100-seat auditorium on one floor of the building?? Plus all the other items that are in the building?

Mind you my overall suspicion is that the council is softening the public up for an eyesore at the Public Baths.

Conspiracy theory anyone?

It was open to public scrutiny. They held a public consultation. Did you submit your objections then?

In fact:

http://mariebaker.net/2014/dun-laoghaires-new-library/
    ''Did you submit your objections then?'' - no because I have better things to do than look up planning permissions. They made a hash of it, a child could see that.

Do you look up planning permissions throughout the county looking to lodge objections / observations?

But equally that doesn't mean that the design or cost should not be open to scrutiny from the public who ultimately funded the building.
    Sorry, but what we get here in these threads and others is a long way from 'scrutiny'. Scrutiny is great. Let me know if you see any around here.
    ''It is impossible for anybody to build a large building and please everybody.'' I agree but this building is so outrageously wrong everyone is giving out about it. Why did the council get it so wrong? And is it all' ''Library''?
    'Everybody' is not giving out about it. The Council did not 'get it so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

At least Dublin Council left enough room in front of the bunkers to hide them with something else.
    Not a lot that can be done with what looks like the bow of a ship looming over the seafront.

I blame Hughie Lewis and Richie for this.
    They should have done more to bring it to the public's attention at the consultation stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

The overwhelming majority of people are giving out about it. Your sole defense of it is that it's grand looking when seen from the end of the pier...I keep thinking of Father Ted explaining to Dougal "Small" & "Far Away"

• Advertisement

Sorry, but what we get here in these threads and others is a long way from 'scrutiny'. Scrutiny is great. Let me know if you see any around here.

'Everybody' is not giving out about it. The Council did not 'get it so wrong.
    'Everybody' I have met and asked about it does not like it. Simple as that really. Not scientific, just me and my opinion. The council did get it wrong, as mentioned by a previous poster it is the same situation for Wood quay. Honestly nobody spends their time looking at this stuff until it is done and dusted.

If you think that this building is a good use of council money, and a good use of the space that was available then thats your opinion.

And if you believe that all this space was needed right on that spot ( including a 100 seater auditorium ) then thats your opinion and I respect that.

All I am saying now is that they made a hash of it, they could have easily eliminated one storey of the building, AT A MINIMUM, and not blotted out so much of the skyline at the edge of the water.

Rant over.

Advertisement