Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

This will be of interest to the many readers of this thread who'll be delighted to vote for the Lexicon in the upcoming RIAI architectural awards;

https://www.facebook.com/dlrlibraries/posts/945093385541831

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If ever there was a need for an 'unlike' button.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Athlone Community College what are you at????

Blackrock and Dalkey look good though, as does inside the Lexicon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If ever there was a need for an 'unlike' button.

...it would be saved for "Liberty House".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Just heard that Lexicon Dún Laoghaire gets third place award, in The RIAI Irish Architecture Awards 2015 Public Choice Award.
    Well done if true, but I can't find any confirmation other than some random facebook posts, so can anyone confirm ?

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Just heard that Lexicon Dún Laoghaire gets third place award, in The RIAI Irish Architecture Awards 2015 Public Choice Award.
    Well done if true, but I can't find any confirmation other than some random facebook posts, so can anyone confirm ?

It's true. The vox pop has spoken and hailed this new architectural Icon. :)

http://www.riai.ie/news/article/the_winners_of_the_2015_irish_architecture_awards1

This is the provisional RIAI, only the continuity RIAI are the true awards. ;)

And the Lexicon got 1st place in the 'Best cultural and best public building' category (or categories maybe?)

So the expert judges had an even higher opinion than the general public.

Ooooh some people are going to spitting their coffee on their keyboard this morning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

RainyDay wrote: »
    So the expert judges had an even higher opinion than the general public.

Ha! Stupid proletariat not recognising awesome building greatness! This is why democracy doesn't work, as Eoin Keegan might say...

• Advertisement

I adore libraries....and live a short walk from the new lexicon. But have not set foot in it yet. All my family have, and this is what has put me off to be honest. My son and his class took a tour a few months ago and were told 'this is not a traditional type of library where we tell people to be quiet' Well...sorry, then its not a library IMO. I go to a library for peace and quiet, and from what I hear about the lexicon this is not the case. Another adult family member visited on 2 different occasions and each time screeching kids running riots while Mummy (and Daddy) lets the dears to it

They missed a big opportunity IMO to make a really good study area for the teens. What they should have done is have a nice childrens area fully enclosed (sound proof and safe for the kids to run around as they want) Honestly I am a Mum but if I pop to the library for a bit of downtime the last thing I want to hear is other peoples kids screeching and clattering around.

Such a shame as I was a big supporter of the library but I really predict a serious redesign of the interior soon. So many people I have talked to feel the same way as me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you'd gone to the library a few weeks abo you would have seen it as a great study area for the teens, the place was jammed full of them and had been for a good while.

Even when it wasn't exam time there was always a healthy number of teens in there working away.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If you'd gone to the library a few weeks abo you would have seen it as a great study area for the teens, the place was jammed full of them and had been for a good while.

Even when it wasn't exam time there was always a healthy number of teens in there working away.

It might be jammed full of them (being the time of year) but the 2 I know complained of the noise and said their friends felt the same. Some decided to go back to Deansgrange to study instead. Some posted in FB in a similar vein.

There are too many hard surfaces, they need a lot more sound deadening in the place.

I thought you hadn't been in it :confused:

The upper level is carpeted, quiet, and just for people to study/work.

I've used the library a fair bit recently and have only really used to middle level. Yes there are times some kids are loud, but that's only a small % of the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I adore libraries....and live a short walk from the new lexicon. But have not set foot in it yet. All my family have, and this is what has put me off to be honest. My son and his class took a tour a few months ago and were told 'this is not a traditional type of library where we tell people to be quiet' Well...sorry, then its not a library IMO. I go to a library for peace and quiet, and from what I hear about the lexicon this is not the case. Another adult family member visited on 2 different occasions and each time screeching kids running riots while Mummy (and Daddy) lets the dears to it

They missed a big opportunity IMO to make a really good study area for the teens. What they should have done is have a nice childrens area fully enclosed (sound proof and safe for the kids to run around as they want) Honestly I am a Mum but if I pop to the library for a bit of downtime the last thing I want to hear is other peoples kids screeching and clattering around.

Such a shame as I was a big supporter of the library but I really predict a serious redesign of the interior soon. So many people I have talked to feel the same way as me.

All I see there is conjecture.

Having been a regular visitor since it opened, I can verify that there are quiet areas, there are kids reading areas, there are study areas and there are general reading areas. This library has all you need and expect. If you ever had to endure the old DL library you would feel extremely lucky every time you passed through the new revolving doors.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    lucky every time you passed through the new revolving doors.

As a taxpayer it's an absolute privilege to utilise any public utility, no matter how poor value it appears to be. If only everyone displayed appropriate levels of gratitude towards our governing elite...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There's that tiny violin music again...

As a taxpayer it's an absolute privilege to utilise any public utility, no matter how poor value it appears to be. If only everyone displayed appropriate levels of gratitude towards our governing elite...

You sure on the poor value?
    In the first 4 months since the building has been opened:

There have been over 170,000 visitors. (That is an average of over 10,000 visitors per week. We expect over ½ million people to use the space in any given year).

Nearly 100,000 items have been borrowed from the LexIcon (this represents a 260% increase on the number of items issued from the old Dún Laoghaire Library in the same period last year)

Over 4,500 new members have joined our library service and have made this world-class amenity their place of choice to come, read, bring the kids, wander around or view an exhibition

The LexIcon is open 57 hours per week (this is 20 more hours per week than the old branch and is amongst the highest of any library throughout the Country)

Thanks for the propaganda quote, but its still not worth 40 million quid in a country with such problems. A tenth of that money could have publically licenced online resources for the education of thousands, or enhanced study facilities within the schools we already have.

Why would Local Authority money be spent on privately run schools through the auspices of the Department of Eduction though?

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Why would Local Authority money be spent on privately run schools through the auspices of the Department of Eduction though?

Not all local secondary schools are private. There were enough laws made up during the crisis to move money around as required. Those development levies that sat around for years should have been reassigned to areas of social need, not left to be squandered on follies for the sake of them.

Those development levies that sat around for years should have been reassigned to areas of social need, not left to be squandered on follies for the sake of them.

TG that they were not sequestered as obviously your "folly" is my desired investment.

I take it you are not a fan of devolved Government?

TG that they were not sequestered as obviously your "folly" is my desired investment.

I'm a fan of proper local democracy, we don't have that in Ireland. But that's a wider discussion.

What devolved Government?

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/ian-odoherty/owen-keegan-bigger-than-jesus-you-know-30420030.html

As our poor, beleaguered Lord Mayor wailed plaintively: "If Jesus himself came down from the cross, he couldn't reverse this decision."

I'm a fan of proper local democracy, we don't have that in Ireland. But that's a wider discussion.

Indeed it is - in my experience people tend to prefer any system that delivers their own favoured solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is there any point in this thread anymore? It's built, it's not going to be torn down. Some people love it, some people don't. Some people think it's fit for purpose, others don't.

Is there any point in this thread anymore? It's built, it's not going to be torn down. Some people love it, some people don't. Some people think it's fit for purpose, others don't.

Yeah but I'm right and they're wrong :D

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah but I'm right and they're wrong :D

That statement is kind of the point of the internet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

RainyDay wrote: »
    Just like yourself, then?

Im sure that was well worth the warning lol

But I like the building, it could have been built on a smaller scale and in a more tasteful manner for sure but it has its merits! Its a very interesting building, it doesn't really blend with its surroundings but if it was in the dublin docklands I think it would be quite splendid! Anyway, its not perfect but theres much worse around dublin!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

What do you think is much worse?
    I suppose we're all agreed on the bunkers?

Advertisement