Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I think it's fitting to put this here, as the 'reality' of operating a multimillion euro flagship library is putting the staff and management in a whole new sphere.
    Staff from Dún Laoghaire’s Lexicon library, a €36.6 million building that provoked strong reactions and controversy during construction, are due to protest this Sunday.

Impact trade union has said its members will gather outside the library on Haigh Terrace, Moran Park, at 2pm to object to a decision by management to open the dlr Lexicon on Sundays without any library staff present.

Gerry O’Quigley, chairman of the Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown Impact branch, told The Irish Times the decision was a “provocative and premature move” by management.

“We don’t have a problem with opening on Sunday but we do have a problem with it opening without library staff,” he said.

“They have no library staff but added extra security staff.

“It sets a bad precedent. It could encourage this on a wider basis. Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council is the latest library authority to decide to operate libraries on a staffless basis.”

Mr O’Quigley said the union and management have been involved in talks about staffing levels and recruitment in recent months but this move was done without “proper engagement”.

“Recent years have seen the numbers employed in the library service throughout the country fall dramatically, and funding has been severely curtailed,” he said.

“Existing staff are being really stretched. The union nationally has expressed its concern that the move to staffless libraries will see further staff reductions in the sector.”

“A library is not just a building filled with books. Every week, Dún Laoghaire Rathdown library staff assists hundreds of borrowers with their queries and provide workshops, facilitate book clubs and classes.”

A spokesman for Dún Laoghaire- Rathdown County Council said in response to public demand the “pilot project” had gone ahead to open the Lexicon on Sundays from 12pm-4pm since August 28th.

He said it allowed people access to borrow and return books, DVDs and CDs through self-service automated kiosks.

“The Lexicon is serviced by a facilities management team and as part of this there is a security detail,” he said.

The spokesman said people could also print, photocopy, use study spaces, get internet access and visit the art gallery.

He said “self service access” was a normal practice in many other cultural institutions.

The trade union, which represents staff in the library service throughout the State, has instructed its members not to cooperate with “staffless opening” and will be balloting its members on the issue.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-library-employees-protest-over-staffless-sunday-opening-1.2802817

In my experience as a regular user of the library, the librarians are as much an asset as the building and contents. The security staff are a fairly unproductive bunch, more often chatting amongst themselves.

DLRDCoCo aren't short of a few quid (as the building itself testifies), hire in more staff and do a proper job of running the facility!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I think it's fitting to put this here, as the 'reality' of operating a multimillion euro flagship library is putting the staff and management in a whole new sphere.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-library-employees-protest-over-staffless-sunday-opening-1.2802817

In my experience as a regular user of the library, the librarians are as much an asset as the building and contents. The security staff are a fairly unproductive bunch, more often chatting amongst themselves.

DLRDCoCo aren't short of a few quid (as the building itself testifies), hire in more staff and do a proper job of running the facility!

Imo it should have always been open on a Sunday. Delighted to have this facility on a Sunday. I too work some Sundays. No big knickers. Time to get 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

But opening it on a Sunday without the Library Staff to work in the place is ridiculous. This would mean not being able to deal with staff to answer questions, borrow books, pay late fines etc.

Is there a self service check out facility in the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RosieJoe wrote: »
    But opening it on a Sunday without the Library Staff to work in the place is ridiculous. This would mean not being able to deal with staff to answer questions, borrow books, pay late fines etc.

Is there a self service check out facility in the place?

You clearly didn't read the article, go read the article and come back to us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

ted1 wrote: »
    You clearly didn't read the article, go read the article and come back to us

A simple Yes or No to my question would have sufficed.

And Yes, I should have read the article in full to see if they had self service facilities in place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There are multiple self service stations throughout - you can borrow and return books and pay fines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RosieJoe wrote: »
    A simple Yes or No to my question would have sufficed.

And Yes, I should have read the article in full to see if they had self service facilities in place.

Rosie had the article and your question not being about taking books out from a library to read, I would have said Yes or No.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I went to UL and the library used to be open there on a Sunday with no staff and no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's a great idea to open it on Sunday when DL is hopping, but (assuming there's no budget for the extra day) why won't they staff it on Sunday and leave with self-service on Mondays instead?
    Sunday would be much more of a family day when guidance or activities are needed, Monday is mostly self-study day, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

mhge wrote:
    It's a great idea to open it on Sunday when DL is hopping, but (assuming there's no budget for the extra day) why won't they staff it on Sunday and leave with self-service on Mondays instead? Sunday would be much more of a family day when guidance or activities are needed, Monday is mostly self-study day, isn't it?

Staff will want to be paid at least double rate for working Sundays but normal rate for Mondays. Considering how well librarians are paid, it would cost a fortune to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was in the Lexicon twice last week. It is a very nice looking building on the inside.

I had a bit of a problem with using the iMacs while using internet access there. None of them are connected to any printer in the building so if you want to print off paperwork for something important like a work meeting you have to use the PC only.

I was attempting to print off bank statements for a SW appointment the other week and I couldn't print them off the Mac at all.

On the point regarding the article above; having a staff less library in the Lexicon might be a good idea. There are plenty of self service book return desks & machines available in the building. I don't think that will cause too much problems in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Another chapter in race to the bottom, agency out another public service, ye will all be crying when it gets like the UK and instead of someone to deal with your issue in a local office, itll be the planning helpline in Bangalore.

The library staff should picket the sunday opening, not just protest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't see this as agencying out a public service, the building will be open but there will be no service. This happens in a lot of universities and is great for getting in a few hours of study/coursework on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Larbre34 wrote:
    Another chapter in race to the bottom, agency out another public service, ye will all be crying when it gets like the UK and instead of someone to deal with your issue in a local office, itll be the planning helpline in Bangalore.

You mean like all the banks in the UK that outsourced their call centers and then brought them back again to satisfy customer demand? Is there a trampoline at the bottom of your metaphor?

markpb wrote: »
    You mean like all the banks in the UK that outsourced their call centers and then brought them back again to satisfy customer demand? Is there a trampoline at the bottom of your metaphor?

No and no.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't see this as agencying out a public service, the building will be open but there will be no service. This happens in a lot of universities and is great for getting in a few hours of study/coursework on the weekend.

Thin end of the wedge.

Staff Our Library ‏@Staffourlibrary Sep 25
    thanks to @AkaPaulHoward for coming down to the Lexicon to support @DLRImpact protest against staffless libraries.
    #staffourlibrary
    Paul Howard
    @AkaPaulHoward
    . @Staffourlibrary @DLRImpact I didn't go to the Lexicon and I have no idea what you're talking about.

:eek:

Went along to the libary yesterday. Couldn't believe it was bloody well closed. And tomorrow.

What a farce. The opening hours as it is are far too curtailed. I am happy to pay my tax to man the place, but they need to open up more.

I am working tomorrow bank holiday. That's just part of my working terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

in fairness, it's open on Sundays on non BH weekends, which is more than any other library in the country. There was nearly a library staff strike over that, probably why no one has pushed for BH opening.

Whoppie for opening extremely limited hours on Sunday.

The opening hours are far too curtailed as it is.

I work shifts. It's absolutely not the end of the world.

Crazy that a massive resource like this is locked up so much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement