Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The PR charm offensive is in full swing.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/librarian-hopes-new-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-library-will-wow-public-1.1865186

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-council-architect-surprised-at-criticism-of-new-library-1.1865009

'Give it a chance' just isn't good enough for a building and location of this significance when its obvious the emperor has no clothes.

Good thinking. Let's knock it down before we've got inside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

RainyDay wrote: »
    Good thinking. Let's knock it down before we've got inside the door.

Yes that would be my opening position. Whatever worthy facilities it might have within does not justify the adverse impact of the building itself.

Yes that would be my opening position. Whatever worthy facilities it might have within does not justify the adverse impact of the building itself.

I'd suggest you hand out flyers outlining your position to all those entering the library, and see how many take your view on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

RainyDay wrote: »
    I'd suggest you hand out flyers outlining your position to all those entering the library, and see how many take your view on board.

Do you think it would be more or less than the approx. 4,000 people on the housing waiting list in Dun Laoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

While I agree with you that it isn't a particularly attractive building, and that it might have been better integrated with the public realm at ground floor level, I do not think that tearing it down would be worth the amount of money and energy invested in the building to date.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Do you think it would be more or less than the approx. 4,000 people on the housing waiting list in Dun Laoghaire?

I'd bet a fiver that the number who would agree with the flyer would be less than 4, never mind 4,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I know that I was strongly against it initially. However, with the rendering and other finishing touches applied in recent months, it's beginning to grow on me. The CGI impression certainly didn't do it justice which lead me into thinking that it would be a monstrosity much like the Irish Sea Fisheries Board. Now, when I pass by the "Lexicon", it isn't half bad. In fact, it's quite impressive. The name is quite catchy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Settling in quite nicely

dlrcoco-630x420.jpg

june-2014-central-library-and-cultural-centre-brid-011-2-630x420.jpg

http://www.thejournal.ie/dun-laoghaire-rathdown-library-1576214-Jul2014/?utm_source=facebook_short

I can't wait for the opening later in the year.

Yeah it looks inobtrusive when viewed from a distance in some vetted media release pictures in the context of a hand held interview, initiated by the subject.

The further away you go it looks better still

europe-space-shaded-relief-map-10111720.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

broken-record2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Tabnabs wrote: »
    broken-record2.gif
    I'm not listening, I'm not listening

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Settling in quite nicely

dlrcoco-630x420.jpg

june-2014-central-library-and-cultural-centre-brid-011-2-630x420.jpg

http://www.thejournal.ie/dun-laoghaire-rathdown-library-1576214-Jul2014/?utm_source=facebook_short

I can't wait for the opening later in the year.

Once again still no side view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

There's no question that once the building has been...photoshopped....and viewed far away...and from a particular angle...it's not quite as offensive as many of the vacant shop units on the main street of Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I was at Newtownsmith yesterday and you wouldn't notice it, maybe not the greatest angle but from the few times I've been in the town and looked at it, the only angle that isn't complementary is when you are standing right beside it on the Kingston side.

21/25

uch wrote: »
    I was at Newtownsmith yesterday and you wouldn't notice it, maybe not the greatest angle but from the few times I've been in the town and looked at it, the only angle that isn't complementary is when you are standing right beside it on the Kingston side.

Agreed.

iwrqdw.jpg

Agreed.

iwrqdw.jpg

You call that complementary? That used to be the view of the Mariners church from the Harbour, now obliterated

Ah now, more obscured than obliterated.
    If you look closely you can see the top of the spire above the roof.

binoculars_stargazing_300.jpg

Oh yeah. Thats grand then.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

Yz4NAXx.jpg

rCVkT2P.jpg

Blends in very well with the clouds. Shure you'd hardly notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Genuinely don't see anything wrong here
    Agreed.

iwrqdw.jpg

21/25

BwNyZ4gIcAAe9h3.jpg
    Progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Just fits right in there !!!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Apart from all that, can anyone explain why they decided they'd spend 36 million Euro on a Library? Does anyone even use them any more? There are much bigger issues in Dun Laoghaire that should have been prioritised over a library. It used to be a really cool place but the shops have been closing down in droves. Even the 40 foot bar is gone.

Surely some people could have thought the money could have been better spent to develop the town over all..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Zascar wrote: »
    Apart from all that, can anyone explain why they decided they'd spend 36 million Euro on a Library? Does anyone even use them any more? There are much bigger issues in Dun Laoghaire that should have been prioritised over a library. It used to be a really cool place but the shops have been closing down in droves. Even the 40 foot bar is gone.

Surely some people could have thought the money could have been better spent to develop the town over all..

4a2842fdff.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Zascar wrote: »

Don't forget that they also demolished and rebuilt Deansgrange library during a recession and Blackrock Library has a new home in the newly built complex on Main St. which contains the relocated Senior College, now renamed.

And all the while the businesses which are paying the rates are closing in droves.

Libraries and cycle lanes are more important than jobs and local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I wouldn't lump cycle lanes into the "extravagant spending" category that new libraries are in. Cycle lanes are usually done as part of a general road upgrade anyway -- i.e. the whole street isn't resurfaced etc solely to put in a solid white line. Improving cycling infrastructure can increase access to retail and attract more shoppers into town/village more safely and frequently. I'm sure libraries act as an attraction too, but seeing as they're standalone construction projects, their development strikes me as being more discretionary than bike lanes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I have to say I don't see the problem with the skyline and the library. I've passed by it an awful lot and it's never ruined the skyline or the area for me.

coylemj wrote: »
    Don't forget that they also demolished and rebuilt Deansgrange library during a recession and Blackrock Library has a new home in the newly built complex on Main St. which contains the relocated Senior College, now renamed.

And all the while the businesses which are paying the rates are closing in droves.

Libraries and cycle lanes are more important than jobs and local businesses.

It isnt rates money that pays for all those things, its massive reserves of planning levies left over from the boom. The rates go in to current spending, which is already bare to the bone. The Councils couldnt spend their levies reserves on day to day things like maintenance or rates cuts even if they wanted to, it would be illegal, they must spend it on new roads, parks and amenities, water supplies etc. or else it wouldnt get spent at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It isnt rates money that pays for all those things, its massive reserves of planning levies left over from the boom. The rates go in to current spending, which is already bare to the bone. The Councils couldnt spend their levies reserves on day to day things like maintenance or rates cuts even if they wanted to, it would be illegal, they must spend it on new roads, parks and amenities, water supplies etc. or else it wouldnt get spent at all.

Heaven forbid someone spend money on maintaining things if it bends the law.

Advertisement