Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Heaven forbid someone spend money on maintaining things if it bends the law.

That was the stuff Tribunals were made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It isnt rates money that pays for all those things, its massive reserves of planning levies left over from the boom. The rates go in to current spending, which is already bare to the bone. The Councils couldnt spend their levies reserves on day to day things like maintenance or rates cuts even if they wanted to, it would be illegal, they must spend it on new roads, parks and amenities, water supplies etc. or else it wouldnt get spent at all.

Here's a novel idea - how about they spend it on social housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No thanks....

ted1 wrote: »
    No thanks....

You'd prioritise an oversized butt ugly building a quarter full of data stored in an obsolete format, over putting a roof over someones head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That was the stuff Tribunals were made of.

Any council who decided to resurface roads and pavements rather than build a white elephant is not going to be subject to a tribunal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Here's a novel idea, how about we wait for it to open and see how many people use it, how many books are borrowed, how many hours of study take place, how many community group meetings are held, how many music performances or practices take place - and then we judge its success from that?

Or are you really suggesting that we cut all arts and education funding until there is no-one homeless?

RainyDay wrote: »
    r are you really suggesting that we cut all arts and education funding until there is no-one homeless?

Yes I'd chop public spending on the arts and spend it on homeless in a heart beat. Shockingly I believe human rights such as housing outweigh the arts 'rights' to public funding.

If you can point me towards a piece of research that makes an explicit link between libraries and educational outcomes I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You'd prioritise an oversized butt ugly building a quarter full of data stored in an obsolete format, over putting a roof over someones head?

It's a not a choice of A V B. If it didn't go to the library I would rather it went some other than welfare recipients. There's far to much given by the state on hand outs. I'd rather see it go on projects that give a hand up rather than a hand out.

Here's the type logic I would use.

Why are people home less? Because they don't have a home.
    Why don't they have a home ? Because they have no money.
    Why don't they have money ?
    Because they left school and are unemployable.
    Based on the above I would put it into projects that help kids stay in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

It's a not a choice of A V B. If it didn't go to the library I would rather it went some other than welfare recipients. There's far to much given by the state on hand outs. I'd rather see it go on projects that give a hand up rather than a hand out.

I would tend to agree, there is no point in just keeping dishing out resources as handouts, we need to tackle the problem at source and that is job creation and education, this is where money should be pumped especially at present when we have young people leaving the country in vast numbers leaving an aging population which will all need pension pots to be fed.
    Its probably better in another thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

. Shockingly I believe human rights such as housing outweigh the arts 'rights' to public funding.

Shockingly so do most of us. Dun Laoghaire has heaps, heaps and more heaps of social housing. We also have a methadone clinic, a homeless shelter, numerous halting sites, and various Crisis centres! Enough already.

• Advertisement

Yes I'd chop public spending on the arts and spend it on homeless in a heart beat. Shockingly I believe human rights such as housing outweigh the arts 'rights' to public funding .
    You'd better start working on your manifesto for the next election so. I guess most people see the need for arts and cultural services like libraries. Nice try at twisting into "the arts 'rights' to public funding".

So the couple of generations who have already left school with poor education and no qualifications go on the scrap heap?
    Glenalla wrote: »
    I would tend to agree, there is no point in just keeping dishing out resources as handouts, we need to tackle the problem at source and that is job creation and education, this is where money should be pumped especially at present when we have young people leaving the country in vast numbers leaving an aging population which will all need pension pots to be fed.
    Its probably better in another thread though.
    Education you're looking for?

http://dlrcoco.ie/library/byki.html
    http://dlrcoco.ie/library/language.html
    http://dlrcoco.ie/library/classroomsets.html
    http://dlrcoco.ie/library/bibliotherapy.html
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/arts/creative_writing_dundrum.htm

They also do IT courses in the library from time to time, and provide access to eLearning services.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Total of 4 photos in that tweet and they choose one (partial) one of the actual building...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

since when is a library about arts and culture and not education?

@Bits_n_Bobs Libraries are education tools to help with the exact situation you're describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Its Dun Laoghaire's Boston City Hall

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its Dun Laoghaire's Boston City Hall

Indeed, that infamous piece of brutalist architecture is a good reference. Open now for 45 years and still as controversial as ever. The people who have to work in it and pass by it every day hate it. Some architects and publications have lauded it. Anyone see a pattern emerging?

At least BCH is in context with the surrounding site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Sandcrawler.png

The people who have to work in it and pass by it every day hate it.
    All of them?

All of them?

I would say the majority. If a building brings out this much bad feeling, even in the minority of people (although I think it's the majority), the architect has failed.

The minute I saw it, I felt Dun Laoghaire had lost some charm. Buildings last a long time. I will hate this building for a long time.

I would say the majority.
    Have you spoken to the majority of them, or surveyed them?

I had never heard of it before today, but it does have its friends (literally http://friendsofbostoncityhall.org/#) and it did get some degree of positive reception http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_City_Hall#Positive_reception

• Advertisement

Why do you want to report someones opinion of something as being silly?

Have you spoken to the majority of them, or surveyed them?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Here's a novel idea, how about we wait for it to open and see how many people use it, how many books are borrowed, how many hours of study take place, how many community group meetings are held, how many music performances or practices take place - and then we judge its success from that?

Or are you really suggesting that we cut all arts and education funding until there is no-one homeless?

What goes on inside it is completely irrelevant, the building itself defaces the entire area and should be gotten rid of regardless.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    scale and height eh?

dun4.jpg

TBF, it fits right in with the other high rise private properties all around it.

Want to revisit this: Your post is a fallacy specifically because of the angle. The height itself is not the issue with the Library, it's how far forward it is compared to the rest of Dun Laoghaire.

To put it another way, Dun Laoghaire naturally slopes downwards towards the sea. This building begins at the height of the others around it at town level, but then slowes upwards as it approaches the sea, so that at sea level it seems unbelievably vast and cuts off the view from a whole bunch of different places, completely dominating the skyline. That's the problem.

Had they built it to slope downward naturally with the land as opposed to simply sticking out like a gigantic ship's butt, it wouldn't be so bad.

Yes
    Congrats, that puts your other points on the thread in context nicely.

What goes on inside it is completely irrelevant, the building itself defaces the entire area and should be gotten rid of regardless.
    What happens inside the building is far from irrelevant for the many people who will be going inside. If they share your opinion about the building, they are unlikely to enter it. If the vast majority aren't really that bothered about the building, it will be another successful library in DLR.

But if you want things to get at DLRCoCo about, try this;

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/council-in-talks-to-buy-5m-fernhill-house-and-gardens-1.1916854

If they share your opinion about the building, they are unlikely to enter it. If the vast majority aren't really that bothered about the building, it will be another successful library in DLR.

To be fair, that's a bit of a fallacy. A lot of people disagree with Shannon Airport being used by US troops, but if they have to use the airport for business themselves they probably still will. I'm sure many people take part in things they disapprove of for one reason or another out of necessity. It's by no means a measure of how many people are actually happy about the size or design.

To be fair, that's a bit of a fallacy. A lot of people disagree with Shannon Airport being used by US troops, but if they have to use the airport for business themselves they probably still will. I'm sure many people take part in things they disapprove of for one reason or another out of necessity. It's by no means a measure of how many people are actually happy about the size or design.

No one HAS to use Shannon Airport. If they really dislike the US troops thing, they can go to Shannon or Dublin, it's just a couple of hours drive away. If they're not bothered to do a 2 hour drive, then they're not that bothered about the US trips.

Same for DLR library.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

People are lazy. If they need a library they'll use the DLR one even if they dislike the architecture. Likewise with the Shannon/Dublin analogy. I can't believe this is even up for debate!

No one HAS to use Shannon Airport. If they really dislike the US troops thing, they can go to Shannon or Dublin, it's just a couple of hours drive away. If they're not bothered to do a 2 hour drive, then they're not that bothered about the US trips.

Same for DLR library.

So there's no scenario in which a route being served by Shannon at a particular time is not being served by Dublin, or is far less expensive?
    As Aard has said, the fact that we're actually debating this point is ridiculous. The library could be the most epic public amenity ever created, some will still oppose it because they oppose the defacement of the seafront area, regardless of functionality.

Hair in and around one's arse crack arguably helps to keep warm whilst wandering around in the nude, that doesn't necessarily make it attractive.

• Advertisement

So there's no scenario in which a route being served by Shannon at a particular time is not being served by Dublin, or is far less expensive?
    Yes, there are lots of such scenarios where Shannon will be cheaper or more convenient. All these scenarios put the degree of commitment to not approving of Shannon Airport to the test.
    As Aard has said, the fact that we're actually debating this point is ridiculous. The library could be the most epic public amenity ever created, some will still oppose it because they oppose the defacement of the seafront area, regardless of functionality.
    Yes, it is indeed fairly ridiculous. Some will oppose it regardless of how it looks. Some will oppose it regardless of functionality. Some will oppose it because of taste. Some will just oppose it.
    Hair in and around one's arse crack arguably helps to keep warm whilst wandering around in the nude, that doesn't necessarily make it attractive.
    Thanks, that's tonight's nightmare sorted then.

Advertisement