Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I overheard at lunchtime yesterday a couple of dutch gold hobby drinkers on 'The Metals' in front of said new library, staring up at it.

"Shu be in bleeeeeedin nazi Geeermany dat bildinnnnn".

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

So Rick O'Shea likes it then;

http://www.rickoshea.ie/?p=9189

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

RainyDay wrote: »

Out of 12 photos displayed he has one of the exterior of the actual building. It's a hideous eye sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

He loves the inside, nothing said about the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

If you think the library is bad,you should check out Baily Point in Galway-now that's a monstrosity....

• Advertisement

Out of 12 photos displayed he has one of the exterior of the actual building. It's a hideous eye sore.

Yeah was going to say it suggests the best aspect is from the inside looking out so the one thing you cant see is the building itself.

The interior pictures remind me a bit of Knock Basilica.

The stairs and laneway from The Metals up to Haigh Terrace running along the eastern (red brick) wall of the library is back open for access. If you stand on the green patch to the rear of the derelict cottage you can really see how much the properties on Haddington Terrace have suffered loss of aspect and light, if I was an owner there I'd be apoplectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

daithi1970 wrote: »
    If you think the library is bad,you should check out Baily Point in Galway-now that's a monstrosity....

Is that the building that looks like a cruise ship from the front?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    if I was an owner there I'd be apoplectic.
    More apoplectic?
    ted1 wrote: »
    He loves the inside, nothing said about the outside
    Apart from where he said warmly "All of this comes with a huge public outdoor open space that is designed to tie the seafront with the much neglected western part of George’s Street"

Either way, it kind-of proves the point I made earlier. Wait till people start to use it.

More apoplectic?

Off the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Arguments aside, this is some view..

now_there_s_a_view.jpg

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

uch wrote: »
    Arguments aside, this is some view..

Not bad for a viewing tower.
    A bit pointless for a library.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

josip wrote: »

Come for the view

Stay for the books

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yeah, where on earth will they put the books?!

http://www.rickoshea.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/WP_20140908_18_40_21_Pro.jpg

Tabnabs wrote: »

You're correct of course; it's an amazing feat of architectural prowess that they have managed to include space for some bookcases.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Probably falls under the heading of - 'Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library'...

The existing library in Dun Laoghaire will close tomorrow to allow the transfer of books/people/equipment etc. to the new Lexicon location. Any books borrowed now, won't have to be returned until late January 2015. A four month closure is a huge disappointment. But as ever, the wheels of public service crawl slowly along.

Seems daft. Surely a good logistical plan would do a move like that in a fortnight or less.

With 36 million spent on the venue, you'd think a few million on a new book inventory wouldnt be a stretch, then either destroy or pass on the stock from the old DL library to other branches or counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Why do you say that ?

21/25

Seems daft. Surely a good logistical plan would do a move like that in a fortnight or less.

With 36 million spent on the venue, you'd think a few million on a new book inventory wouldnt be a stretch, then either destroy or pass on the stock from the old DL library to other branches or counties.

Have you managed many libraries? Or library moves, even?

Rainy Day, up to his old tricks. nobody is safe. He will call you out on any opinion you have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The existing library in Dun Laoghaire will close tomorrow to allow the transfer of books/people/equipment etc. to the new Lexicon location. Any books borrowed now, won't have to be returned until late January 2015. A four month closure is a huge disappointment. But as ever, the wheels of public service crawl slowly along.

Perhaps they decided to close a day early? Went down this morning and they were closed with a sign saying that they would be closing tomorrow.
    Didn't expect it to be for such a long period though, I know it's not a major hassle going to Blackrock or Deansgrange but still, 4 months to transfer a tiny library is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

uch wrote: »
    Why do you say that ?

1. It's got a good view of the harbour which would be essential for a viewing attraction, eg, London Eye.

2. When I go to DL library, I go in, take out books, usually ones which I've reserved online from the catalogue. Sometimes, I'll browse the shelves. Looking at something outside the library is not something I go to do.

3. When I was younger in my home town, when I had my head up looking out the window, I wasn't reading, which is what I went there to do.

What is between the covers is important for a library, not what is outside the panes.

I said surely, suggesting it is self evident that if a commercial entity were moving premises from a couple of hundred square metre site to much bigger one, no matter what the stock and equipment, they could and indeed would have to accomplish it in far less than 4 bloody months.

The same impetus should apply to a public body and their service to customers.

And no funnily enough, ive never managed a library or any library moves before. Its a wonder I have the common sense to get myself out of bed to run my own business every day.

And no funnily enough, ive never managed a library or any library moves before. Its a wonder I have the common sense to get myself out of bed to run my own business every day.
    How much do you think the average librarian knows about running your business? Remember the last job that you estimated at 3-4 months - if a librarian comes up and tell you that it should be done faster, are they correct?

How much do you think the average librarian knows about running your business? Remember the last job that you estimated at 3-4 months - if a librarian comes up and tell you that it should be done faster, are they correct?

Tough one, whats the project RainyDay?

I'm done with you.

I'm done with you.

Fair enough, see you down the Lexicon some day soon.

...not unless you consider 3-4 months 'soon'

What professional experience or college degree do you have to be able to confirm you can see another human, with your eyes?

• Advertisement

...not unless you consider 3-4 months 'soon'
    It was open over the weekend for the Mountains to Sea event.

What professional experience or college degree do you have to be able to confirm you can see another human, with your eyes?

If a tree falls in a library, and there is no-one there to shush it......

Advertisement