Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality of Dun Laoghaire Library

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He likes the interiors and views and environmental credentials alright but he carefully avoids his own opinion on the scale and orientation of the structure, just describing the community reaction which has been well rehearsed on this thread.

I'm surprised someone like McDonald, normally so vocal about city centre planning and architecture mistakes, could explore the site and not comment on the elevation facing Haddington Terrace or the ruined aspect coming from the Sandycove direction or the obscurity of the Mariners Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I too am surprised that opinionated McDonald didn't elaborate that much on the public-facing side of the building.

And what looks like more positive coverage from that notoriously left-wing pinko rag, the Sunday Times;

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1480059.ece

Did anyone see the full article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

uch wrote: »
    From that link: however, required significant effort including 2,910 staff hours of planning and preparation time, 3,120 staff hours moving materials, and 3,470 hours of National Library Relocation, Inc., time moving materials.

That's a total of 9500 staff hours, so you'd need to know how many staff are involved in the DL move before judging with this.

Much (most) of planning & prep comes before the actual move.

10 people, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 16 weeks (a bit of an oversimplification with holidays admittedly) = roughly 6590 working hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Opening this Monday...

10653300_773802762692803_1307328169613421866_n.jpg?oh=a1cf12adfac63ab0b9ab73b738bffb8a&oe=5506D93D

http://libraries.dlrcoco.ie/

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Opening this Monday...

10653300_773802762692803_1307328169613421866_n.jpg?oh=a1cf12adfac63ab0b9ab73b738bffb8a&oe=5506D93D

http://libraries.dlrcoco.ie/
    Is that the dance studio?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

RainyDay wrote: »
    Is that the dance studio?

Unlikely, no poles.

josip wrote: »
    no poles.
    Racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Looks like the county managers new office. They're placing the desk where the shot was taken from. I really hope they put a strip of carpet down eventually for the comfort of supplicants approaching on knees...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Looks like the county managers new office. They're placing the desk where the shot was taken from. I really hope they put a strip of carpet down eventually for the comfort of supplicants approaching on knees...

No such thing any more, they've been upgraded to 'CEO's... :rolleyes:

No such thing any more, they've been upgraded to 'CEO's... :rolleyes:

I see - hence the new library to accommodate the bigger office?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Where are the windows? I suppose the views were too ugly, so perhaps that's the why!

Architectural civic pride revives in Ireland with Carr Cotter & Naessens’ library and cultural centre at Dun Laoghaire

a-window-on-dublin-bay-at-the-prow-of-the-lexicon-library

http://www.ribaj.com/buildings/lexicon-public-library-dun-loagaire

Sure they only love it.

the only positive adjective I spotted was 'fine'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Never a side profile...

I see - hence the new library to accommodate the bigger office?

No, I know it suits some agendas to spin the 'big council offices' story, but it's not true. The CEOs office is in County Hall. The Library management offices are in Blackrock. The only offices in the Lexicon are for the staff who work in the Lexicon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RainyDay wrote: »
    No, I know it suits some agendas to spin the 'big council offices' story, but it's not true. The CEOs office is in County Hall. The Library management offices are in Blackrock. The only offices in the Lexicon are for the staff who work in the Lexicon.
    I wonder what staff will get to park in the library, wasn't the staff car park the real reason for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Chinasea wrote: »
    Where are the windows? I suppose the views were too ugly, so perhaps that's the why!

The views are presumably great, as its the only building in the town you can't see the new library building from.

Really looking forward to visiting the new library today and spending an hour wandering around its vastness and inhaling the €36.6m new library smell...

A beautiful sunny today, so I'll enjoy both the views inside and the building itself, bathed in mid-winter sunshine.

Thanks again to the good people of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown for their contributions :)

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to visiting the new library today and spending an hour wandering around its vastness and inhaling the €36.6m new library smell...

A beautiful sunny today, so I'll enjoy both the views inside and the building itself, bathed in mid-winter sunshine.

Thanks again to the good people of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown for their contributions :)

Sounds very relaxing. I suggest you the take a stroll through the main street - it's the bit where the ass of the library is pointed. Admire all the bustling charity shops and then pause then and reflect on the awesome designs of the 'To Let' signs. I also repeat the mantra 'Closed, Closing, Empty' as I walk past all the commercial premises. Most relaxing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In the library today and it's very nice, the views really are something else.

There's a good few people sitting at desks using their own laptops/the library's computers/studying, probably more than Deansgrange, Blackrock, and Dalkey could accommodate cumulatively and I'm just on the middle floor.

I'll get my lunch in DL and pick up stuff for my dinner in DL too.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

CatFromHue wrote: »
    In the library today and it's very nice, the views really are something else.

There's a good few people sitting at desks using their own laptops/the library's computers/studying, probably more than Deansgrange, Blackrock, and Dalkey could accommodate cumulatively and I'm just on the middle floor.

I'll get my lunch in DL and pick up stuff for my dinner in DL too.

Yes, I'm studying at the moment and the new library is going to be an absolutely fantastic resource for the community. Leaving aside the arguments regarding the costs and architectural merits of the building, it is as plain as day to anyone who actually uses libraries in the borough, that we were painfully under resourced. The old Carnegie on library road, as beautiful a building as it is, could never have been upgraded to a functional standard, perhaps not even with extension into adjacent buildings. I am certainly a bit dubious regarding aspects of the new library from certain angles but I definitely think it looks stunning from from other aspects. I'm not entirely unconvinced that it won't grow on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Alias G wrote: »
    I'm not entirely unconvinced that it won't grow on me.

Wow! 3 negatives, so does that mean you think you will learn to love it?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Wow! 3 negatives, so does that mean you think you will learn to love it?;)

I guess that sentence sums up some undecided feelings on the library. I'm certainly prepared to give it a period of time and use. Unfortunately, it seems many aren't.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/theatre-arts/40m-price-tag-and-counting-for-keegans-ironic-lexicon-of-love-30811548.html

"It is also a hideously expensive visual carbuncle that cost €40m, the lasting legacy of Owen Keegan's tenure as Gauleiter for the Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown area, and looks like some weird mutant cross between a pill box and an architect's practical joke."

"Supporters of the project claim that, contrary to the opinion of the oiks who live in the area, it is actually a beautiful building. Even better, we're told that in years to come, people will appreciate its beauty in much the same way that Dubliners who objected to the desecration of Wood Quay would one day come to revere the pill box that is the Civic Offices. Well, we're still waiting for that particular revelation."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Larbre34 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/theatre-arts/40m-price-tag-and-counting-for-keegans-ironic-lexicon-of-love-30811548.html

"It is also a hideously expensive visual carbuncle that cost €40m, the lasting legacy of Owen Keegan's tenure as Gauleiter for the Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown area, and looks like some weird mutant cross between a pill box and an architect's practical joke."

"Supporters of the project claim that, contrary to the opinion of the oiks who live in the area, it is actually a beautiful building. Even better, we're told that in years to come, people will appreciate its beauty in much the same way that Dubliners who objected to the desecration of Wood Quay would one day come to revere the pill box that is the Civic Offices. Well, we're still waiting for that particular revelation."

Quelle surprise, Ian O'Doherty in Bah Humbug mode! He's never found anything he's liked, he's just a grump.

And if it's written in the Indo, it must be true...

Take away the O'Doherty savage eye slant and he's still right.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »

"hideously expensive visual carbuncle
    Perfect description of Ian O'Doherty.

Advertisement