Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance when motorhoming outside of Ireland?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Heard a piece on travel insurance this morning and just wondered if many/any of you take out travel insurance when motorhoming outside of Ireland?

Comments

Paper maps, phrase book, vehicle spares, tools and EHIC card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Heard a piece on travel insurance this morning and just wondered if many/any of you take out travel insurance when motorhoming outside of Ireland?

Personal travel insurance or MH insurance? I believe the Dolmen MH insurance covers the MH whilst abroad. My VHI also covers medical insurance while abroad on holiday. If you don't have medical insurance you can use the EHIC for public healthcare but it doesn't cover as much as private cover would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I signed up for ADAC myself yesterday it was a bit mental trying to speak German for the first time in 20 years. Know two people that have had super costly breakdowns in Europe even simply getting towed off the motorway can be really expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

*Kol* wrote: »
    Personal travel insurance or MH insurance? I believe the Dolmen MH insurance covers the MH whilst abroad. My VHI also covers medical insurance while abroad on holiday. If you don't have medical insurance you can use the EHIC for public healthcare but it doesn't cover as much as private cover would.

Sorry if I'm causing confusion here. I mean personal travel insurance.
    Obviously we all have insurance for the camper and VHI and or EHIC will cover medical necessities. But do these cover everything? Is there anything that neither of these dont cover that personal insurance would?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm causing confusion here. I mean personal travel insurance.
    Obviously we all have insurance for the camper and VHI and or EHIC will cover medical necessities. But do these cover everything? Is there anything that neither of these dont cover that personal insurance would?

Cancellation missing your ferry etc. would be the big thing I suppose. Travel insurance would in theory reimburse you for money lost on hotels, tavel etc, if you miss your holiday dues to unavoidable circumstance. Wouldn't fancy the stress of trying to get the money out of them though!

• Advertisement

hysteria.gif
    ...really? I miss every 3rd ferry thereabouts...I'm worse with airplanes.
    Does not fancying the stress of trying to make the deadline count as unavoidable circumstances? ...I think it should :pac:

EHIC only covers emergencies in the real world, they'll see you if you're bleeding/broken or poisoned sorta thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

hysteria.gif
    ...really? I miss every 3rd ferry thereabouts...I'm worse with airplanes.
    Does not fancying the stress of trying to make the deadline count as unavoidable circumstances? ...I think it should :pac:

EHIC only covers emergencies in the real world, they'll see you if you're bleeding/broken or poisoned sorta thing.

Missed the Oscar Wilde last year, seemed to get stuck behind every tractor and slow driver between Cavan and Rosslaire:rolleyes: (and possibly not leaving home in time)

Luckily Irish Ferries got me on the next sailing in 2 days time, and only charge was €20, due to the available cabins being slightly more expensive. Had two nights in Wexford, and arrived in Roscoff instead of Cherbourg.
    A lad I know at work booked the family for a week in Egypt last Christmas. At Dublin airport, was informed that he could not travel, cause there needed to be a full 6 months before expiry of his passport. Sickened, broke, disappointed kids etc, insurance would not cover such an occurrence so 3 grand lost.

Advertisement