Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about landlord calling to collect rent

Options
  • 23-06-2014 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm considering moving into a new property in Dublin, and have found out that if I take it, the rent will be cash in hand each month, and that the landlord will call round every 2 weeks to collect the rent.

Does this sound a bit excessive? The only time I ever paid cash in hand was to a lady in south Dublin and she would just collect the rent once a month (or sometimes once every two months depending on her work schedule), but for all other properties I have always paid via bank transfer. I just feel a bit like my privacy is being invaded and wondered what my rights are here?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

sounds like he isnt tax registered. You probably wont be registered with the PRTB either (still protected by them though)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭davesangel

godtabh wrote: »
    sounds like he isnt tax registered. You probably wont be registered with the PRTB either (still protected by them though)

Cheers - I had a feeling about that but the PRTB site seems to be having probs so I can't check that it is definitely registered.

Do you think I could ask him to call round every 4 weeks instead? It just makes me very uncomfortable and also I don't like the idea of having to get large sums of money out every 2 weeks, so many of my friends have been mugged in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

davesangel wrote: »
    Cheers - I had a feeling about that but the PRTB site seems to be having probs so I can't check that it is definitely registered.

Do you think I could ask him to call round every 4 weeks instead? It just makes me very uncomfortable and also I don't like the idea of having to get large sums of money out every 2 weeks, so many of my friends have been mugged in Dublin.

bank draft minimum and otherwise bank transfer I would never pay cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

Do not agree to pay by cash. You are entering in to a professional arrangement and keep things professional. Pay by Direct Debit to the bank account supplied by him and go to the PRTB website know to check that the rental property is declared.
    Do not deal with landlords who play fast and loose with the law. This is your shelter and after food is the most important requirement for your continued well-being.

Thanks everyone.

I'll give a bit more background info: My current landlord has upped our rent a lot and without significant period of notice, and there are serious issues with the property which have never been fixed, so I am keen to get out of there. He has turned quite nasty when I have brought up legitimate problems so I want to get out. The new property I have mentioned above is the only one in my price limit and in a decent area of Dublin and I can move in anytime so I'm possibly meeting him tomorrow to pay deposit.

I'm not the best at confrontation, so am I definitely in my rights to say to him 'once a month only' - or to ask for bank transfer? sorry if this all makes me sound like a bit of a wuss!

• Advertisement

At the start of the contract you are entitled to agree the terms of the contract and you should be insisting upon payment by direct debit.

if he isn't registered with PRTB and hasn't provided a BER cert you should be informing him that you are unwilling to rent from him and wish him well in his search for a new tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

davesangel wrote: »
    I'm not the best at confrontation, so am I definitely in my rights to say to him 'once a month only' - or to ask for bank transfer? sorry if this all makes me sound like a bit of a wuss!

Of course you're in your rights. But the landlord is probably within his rights to give it to somebody else if you haven't signed anything yet. If he's insisting on cash every fortnight, I'd be looking elsewhere.

Paying cash makes it sound like he's trying to evade tax (does that even work anymore).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Dodgy advice telling her to issue an ultimatum because he could quite easily find someone else.

Ask him to go monthly is your best option. Cash in hand landlords are generally fixed on it, even if you inform them that any LL this side of the millennium has switched to bank transfers. Just bear in mind that unfortunately it is a landlord's market nowadays. He could most likely replace you with someone willing to pay bi-monthly with relative ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Why move from one bad situation to another?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op you say LL is putting up the rent.

Have you been there 12 months as this can only be done 1 time every 12 and at market value.

You can take out a case with prtb to have increase checked if legal to do so if you feel its above market rate.

Also let them know in writing about all the problems and things not working.

Do not let them walk all over you once you are I am guessing a good and clean tenant.

There are some dodgy LL and tenants out there.
    The new LL could be as bad or worse as where you are now.

• Advertisement

Op you say LL is putting up the rent.

Have you been there 12 months as this can only be done 1 time every 12 and at market value.

You can take out a case with prtb to have increase checked if legal to do so if you feel its above market rate.

Also let them know in writing about all the problems and things not working.

Do not let them walk all over you once you are I am guessing a good and clean tenant.

There are some dodgy LL and tenants out there.
    The new LL could be as bad or worse as where you are now.

Hi there:

When I moved in, the place looked ok, but when you started moving furniture you could see ground-on dust and dirt. I was so disgusted that I didn't even take photos of this but just cleaned like my life depended on it. The majority of the electric appliances (fridge, kettle, toaster, vacuum cleaner) broke after the first time I used them. Landlord told me to buy replacements rather than buying them himself and eventually paid me back. I didn't get the cost of delivery paid though but given the horror stories that friends have told me about their landlords (even though my mates are all reliable decent tenants) I wondered did I have a leg to stand on. I was informed via email of a 10% rise in rent (not huge yes, but still more than I would pay for somewhere like that). I've been there over a year and it's the first increase in rent which is legally ok. So many things have gone wrong that I just can't live there anymore, it's making me miserable and current LL doesn't give a crap and I see it getting worse, so I think cutting my losses and moving on is probably for the best.

The new place has all-new appliances and everything seems good, I did a thorough check after previous bad experiences. It's just the frequency of him calling round that unnerves me.

Dodgy advice telling her to issue an ultimatum because he could quite easily find someone else.

Ask him to go monthly is your best option. Cash in hand landlords are generally fixed on it, even if you inform them that any LL this side of the millennium has switched to bank transfers. Just bear in mind that unfortunately it is a landlord's market nowadays. He could most likely replace you with someone willing to pay bi-monthly with relative ease.

Yeah, a few people who looked at the property were so keen to move in that I think they would be happy to pay weekly if they could just find a place over their heads, so you're right that he could get someone else to move in.

The main issue for me is knowing that security in Dublin isn't always great and what if I was away on holiday or at work and the LL shows up and my rent has been nicked - it's cash in hand so I have no security or proof that I took it out. This did actually happen to a friend and her flatmate and it seems that someone else in the building did it because they knew that the landlord collected cash on a certain day each month.
    At least if it was once a month I could be sure to get my boss to let me off that evening and be there to hand a month's rent in instead of a fortnight's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Is your rent Monthly or Bi weekly. Had a landlord years ago who agreed a monthly rate and then collected every four weeks. Until they tried to collect twice in the one month. They then realised the difference between a four week period and a month. If you pay half a monthly rate every two weeks, there is quite a difference.

But paying cash for something like this these days seems weird to say the least.

A non-negotiable is an Ultimatium and peaceful enjoyment of your rented property is a non-negotiable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Re. your new LL, my only question is: are you sure you want to want to start a business relationship with him at all in the first place???

Sounds to me like you're going from one clown to another. Cash in hand every two weeks?? What kind of buffoonery is this?? Direct debit, once a month, thats how its done in the 21st century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This new Landlord may be trying to get a look inside the property to check if as you say everything is new, he may be concerned for his investment. on a legal note though you are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of the property which means he is only allowed call a couple of times a year to check on the property and service items like the gas boiler etc.

Ask him if he will be expecting to inspect the property or even enter twice a month when he collects the rent as this would be something he is not entitled to do.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Is your rent Monthly or Bi weekly. Had a landlord years ago who agreed a monthly rate and then collected every four weeks. Until they tried to collect twice in the one month. They then realised the difference between a four week period and a month. If you pay half a monthly rate every two weeks, there is quite a difference.

But paying cash for something like this these days seems weird to say the least.

On Daft the property was advertised as being a particular amount 'weekly'. So I know this isn't the same as 'monthly' which is grand, but figured if he would call every 2 weeks surely call every 4th week and I'll pay the relevant amount

foggy_lad wrote: »
    This new Landlord may be trying to get a look inside the property to check if as you say everything is new, he may be concerned for his investment. on a legal note though you are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of the property which means he is only allowed call a couple of times a year to check on the property and service items like the gas boiler etc.

Ask him if he will be expecting to inspect the property or even enter twice a month when he collects the rent as this would be something he is not entitled to do.

Yeah that's my concern...I'm just wondering what I can say to make sure that he knows that my privacy is important and that a LL isn't meant to come check on a property every 2 weeks as that is excessive (which it is)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Rent is paid monthly by direct debit.

Any other arrangement is an indicator that you are dealing with a cowboy. Too many people ignore the blatant warning signs and end up in ****ty rental situations. See the many threads on here for example.

drumswan wrote: »
    Rent is paid monthly by direct debit.

Any other arrangement is an indicator that you are dealing with a cowboy. Too many people ignore the blatant warning signs and end up in ****ty rental situations. See the many threads on here for example.

Thanks. I'll have a word with him tomorrow and just say I feel more comfortable paying monthly and that as far as I'm aware, by law rent can only be collected monthly (or every 4th week) in Dublin and I'm not comfortable with this. It's a shame as it is a nice apartment and good location etc.

• Advertisement

rent can be collected whenever agreed between the two parties.
    just say you want to pay by direct debit monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

payment by cash means no paper trail as to what you have paid if there is ever a problem. I doubt he's going to be providing receipts either.

All sounds dodgy. Just because its a good area doesn't mean he isn't a scum bag.

Lantus wrote: »
    payment by cash means no paper trail as to what you have paid if there is ever a problem. I doubt he's going to be providing receipts either.

All sounds dodgy. Just because its a good area doesn't mean he isn't a scum bag.

Apparently there will be a rent book (from Threshhold) which I saw at the time so at least it's tracked, but still, would def prefer monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

He could be genuine.

We pay by cash, he has every member in the house registered with the PRTB and fills in a receipt book which was issued to him by the PRTB and leaves it with us.

My landlord collects the cash every 4 weeks though.

brembo26 wrote: »
    He could be genuine.

We pay by cash, he has every member in the house registered with the PRTB and fills in a receipt book which was issued to him by the PRTB and leaves it with us.

My landlord collects the cash every 4 weeks though.

I'd be ok with paying in cash if it was changed to every 4 weeks...I guess I'll just see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Phil_Lives wrote: »
    At the start of the contract you are entitled to agree the terms of the contract and you should be insisting upon payment by direct debit.

if he isn't registered with PRTB and hasn't provided a BER cert you should be informing him that you are unwilling to rent from him and wish him well in his search for a new tenant.

The landlord will easily find a new tenant who doesn't insist on the above. The question is will the OP find a new house as easily?

You need to be realistic with your feedback and very few landlords are going to agree, in the current market, to having terms imposed on them which they don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

for all we know the landlord could have been burn badly by previous tennants being in arrears and not paying rent on time and now goes out of his way to collect personally and in shorter/smaller amounts.

Its a PITA for him to do this every fortnight so Id imagine his reasons are strong enough to go through the hassle. Hes probebly more put outy then the tennent is who only has to make sure the rent is there and hes actually in at the collection times.

Lemlin wrote: »
    The landlord will easily find a new tenant who doesn't insist on the above. The question is will the OP find a new house as easily?

You need to be realistic with your feedback and very few landlords are going to agree, in the current market, to having terms imposed on them which they don't agree with.

That's a good point...one property I saw just before the one I'm thinking of taking was appalling: you could smell severe mold the second you walked through the front door, there was mold everywhere (which could 'be painted over'), there were holes in the ceilings and walls, and the agent showing us round said that even without the place being painted/'refurbished', people would be paying 750 for it. I wouldn't wish a place like that on my worst enemy, so I'd say the LL would be able to get someone in who would be happy with rent collection every 2 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks, rent is not paid by direct debit, as that would give the landlord permission to deduct any amount once he gave you notice of the debit. It is either a bank transfer (manually done by the OP every month) or a standing order (which is a set amount that is debited on a certain date, this can be daily, weekly, monthly etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

for all we know the landlord could have been burn badly by previous tennants being in arrears and not paying rent on time and now goes out of his way to collect personally and in shorter/smaller amounts.

Its a PITA for him to do this every fortnight so Id imagine his reasons are strong enough to go through the hassle. Hes probebly more put outy then the tennent is who only has to make sure the rent is there and hes actually in at the collection times.

His obvious reason is tax avoidance.

Advertisement