Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify is it worth it?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi

im thinking of getting Spotify premium it looks awesome! What are your opinions about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have both a spotify and google music subscription. Both have their positives and negatives. Content wise, they are much the same, I haven't seen any difference yet. If something is not available on one, then it has also not been available on the other. For discovering music, the spotify app is far ahead of the google music app. In terms of mobile apps, google music is far superior (at least on android). However Spotify have deals with mobile providers to offer unlimited music streaming at no cost and it doesn't come from your data allowance. This is a biggy if you listen on the go and don't want to pay for an expensive unlimited data plan.

Spotify have a free option that has ads. I don't know how intrusive they are but at least you can give it a try and see if they have the content you would listen to. Google music doesn't have a free trial, but if Spotify does not fit your needs then Google music probably won't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

A brilliant service. If you have the data allowance for it you can't go wrong for €10 a month. I would be absolutely lost without it at this stage. I've discovered a lot of new music through their recommendations that I listen to almost daily that I probably never would have heard of otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Hi

im thinking of getting Spotify premium it looks awesome! What are your opinions about it?

When you sign up spotify will offer you a months free trial. After that you can make up your mind if you think it's worth subscribing for premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭justmyself

Hello All.

I've been trying Deezer the past 10 days. It's free for 15 days. Pretty happy with it so far.

Although, I've noticed one thing today that will probably halt me signing up to their premium account - I'm not allowed play music on 2 devices at the same time. Basically only noticed the warning when i was working upstairs on my PC and my girlfriend was playing/ tuned into my account on the tablet in the sitting room.

Basically says: "Your Deezer account is strictly personal and may not be used to play music on another device at the same time" ...

Just wondering can I play on more than 1 device using Spotify? - I understand that they don't want one person signing up and having multiple mates listening off the one account. Fair enough. But if it was being streamed from the one IP Address surely there would/ should be some form of an allowance?

Yet to try Spotify. Do you think this would be achievable, where Deezer doesn't allow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Spotify's help says 3 devices for offline playlists, unlimited to just stream

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

You can have 3 devices alright but only use one of them at a time.
    If someone else tries to play something whilst you are streaming,your stream will stop.
    That's on premium.
    Other than that Spotify is brilliant.

What exactly categorizes "devices" i wonder?

Would they be 'mobile' devices: Tablet, iPOD & Phone ?

According to my sister, she can play Spotify no bother on her tablet, but is restricted on her phone... now she's no techy, so can't take her word as gospel...

So maybe I can connect to my PC and Tablet at the same time - without 1 of the 2 being turned off?

Or am i talking utter nonsensical garbage?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

justmyself wrote: »
    According to my sister

pic or gtfo

pic or gtfo

Seems i don't have enough POSTS to post a photo ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

justmyself wrote: »
    Hello All.

I've been trying Deezer the past 10 days. It's free for 15 days. Pretty happy with it so far.

Although, I've noticed one thing today that will probably halt me signing up to their premium account - I'm not allowed play music on 2 devices at the same time. Basically only noticed the warning when i was working upstairs on my PC and my girlfriend was playing/ tuned into my account on the tablet in the sitting room.

Basically says: "Your Deezer account is strictly personal and may not be used to play music on another device at the same time" ...

Just wondering can I play on more than 1 device using Spotify? - I understand that they don't want one person signing up and having multiple mates listening off the one account. Fair enough. But if it was being streamed from the one IP Address surely there would/ should be some form of an allowance?

Yet to try Spotify. Do you think this would be achievable, where Deezer doesn't allow?

How much does Deezer cost a month?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Love Google Music. It's free to upload up to 20,000 of your own songs on to it's cloud servers. You can log in on any computer then and listen to your collection. The app is great too, and lets you do the same.

It's a different angle than Spotify, but you can also pay for a subscription to stream like you do on Spotify, except Spotify is free in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

whitebriar wrote: »
    You can have 3 devices alright but only use one of them at a time.
    If someone else tries to play something whilst you are streaming,your stream will stop.
    That's on premium.
    Other than that Spotify is brilliant.

Awww really? Myself and my sister were thinking of going half's on Spotify. But we both can't use it at the same time?

How much does Deezer cost a month?

On their website it says:

You will be charged 4,99 €/month for 3 months. After 3 months you will be charged the standard price of 9,99 €/month. No commitment, you can unsubscribe at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LeonardNelson

Havent tried Spotify but reading this depicts my attention to use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Can someone point out any glaring problems with Spotify? I haven't really found any. I've been using the 'free' version for a month and I find it great.
    I'm on the cusp of upgrading to the full version but i'd like to hear if anyone has any issues with it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The mobile apps are a little buggy - also the iPod app has fallen a bit behind the iPhone and Android version in terms of features.

the other main issue is music disappearing - occasionally I save an album and go back to it later and its no longer on Spotify, due to record label licensing issues, or the artists (such as Thom Yorke) just deciding they don't like Spotify. its not a huge problem, & there's always plenty of other music to listen to.

It is well worth €10 a month though - I've discovered a huge amount of new music using it (as well as listening to loads of stuff I used to have on tape or CD and had forgotten about).

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I love Spotify. I seriously can't picture myself buying a CD ever again. Even the artists I loved going back to the 80's where I'd buy all their releases out of habit even if I wasn't particularly interested in the release.

I think the audio quality is great on the medium stream setting, songs load straight away. In short, I think it's brilliant.

Advertisement