Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Niteclubs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The Master wrote: »
    Called The Mezz now was Danger Doyle's before that

Thank You!!!! I never would have gotten that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The Blue Note was a decent 90s spot. In the same building as the Viper Room is/was (?) these days.

Other manky 80s ones were Rainbows (?) where the Central Hotel is just off Georges Street and Hollywood Nights in the Stillorgan Park Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The Traders Wharf then Nemo's in Dun Laoghaire
    Mungo Jerrys then Q bar in O Connell bridge house
    The notorious Paparazzi in Dun Laoghaire SC

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Whatever happened to the system on South Anne st. That closed down in its prime didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Is scruples in Dun Laoghaire still open?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Whatever happened to the system on South Anne st. That closed down in its prime didn't it?
    Epic club and top class women there too. It did close in its prime, but I had the pleasure of attending an invite only night there about a year and a half after it closed. It was exactly the same as it was. Kind of bizarre in a way, why shut it and just leave it idle?

Sides closed in its prime too. I was gutted at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Is scruples in Dun Laoghaire still open?

I think that's closed about 10 years now! Some craic in there :)

Anyone remember Pal Joeys in Temple Bar? Used to love that spot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

anncoates wrote: »
    The Blue Note was a decent 90s spot. In the same building as the Viper Room is/was (?) these days.

Jesus...i'd forgotten all about that place..it was at the back of the Viper rooms(Now the Gypsy Rose).

Got hammered on thier wine many times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

chopper6 wrote: »
    Jesus...i'd forgotten all about that place..it was at the back of the Viper rooms(Now the Gypsy Rose).

Got hammered on thier wine many times!

It had an exit/entrance at the back into the alley? Some very hazy nights there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Anyone remember "Peekers" in Dun Laoghaire???? That was a strange place.

Or Ziggy's up at Bakers corner.... what a KIP!!!!

• Advertisement

It had an exit/entrance at the back into the alley? Some very hazy nights there. :pac:

Yup..was always full of women as i recall which made it doubly attractive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

miamee wrote: »
    I used to frequent McGraths in O'Connell Street and the Back Gate on Cathal Brugha Street. Both long gone! (Well McGraths is now Fraziers I think). A pair of sweatboxes, both of them but great fun at the time!

Jaysus, I started off working in bars in The Back Gate. The Welcome Inn around the corner on Parnell Street was my favourite bar in Dublin it was a great place back then, sadly it closed a few years ago.
    Back on topic, The Asylum in the early 90's, that place really was an asylum, acieeeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Eamonn Dorans in Temple Bar. Had some great nights in there. Including a few very late ones when the guards turned up because there was still a crowd in there drinking at all hours. Happy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Other manky 80s ones were Rainbows (?) where the Central Hotel is just off Georges Street and Hollywood Nights in the Stillorgan Park Hotel.

Rainbows wasn't a true nite club though, more a dishco bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I think that's closed about 10 years now! Some craic in there :)

Anyone remember it overJoeys in Temple Bar? Used to love that spot!

Yup great spot till all the cardboard gangsters took it over.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Master wrote: »
    Called The Grand Social for the last few years now

Lillies still on the go Renards gone a couple of years

Called The Mezz now was Danger Doyle's before that

The Twisted pepper is where your thinking of
    But Mojo's was in The Abbey hotel next door
    Is that where Danger Doyles was? I had a few hazy nights in there, hadn't even remembered it!

How about Bad Bobs? Used to go there the odd time and Isolde's Tower now the Czech Inn. I think BBs has been under a few different names but back to Bad Bobs now?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Just called Bob's now, was The Purdy Kitchen for a few years

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yes I remember it being The Purdy Kitchen with the Sycamore Club upstairs and the smoking area on the roof - it just had/has a big open ceiling, bit odd. I'm not sure if they were one and the same thing or two separate entities in the same building actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Isolde's was one creepy place.

Pal Joey's was a mad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The strangest thing about old Dublin nightclubs was the slop that they called "curry" that they served at the end of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

So, to reinvigorate this thread: What personalities do you associate with any particular niteclub?

Gyalist wrote: »
    The strangest thing about old Dublin nightclubs was the slop that they called "curry" that they served at the end of the night.

That was as a result of some judge's ruling that people need some soakage in thier system after a night's boozing it up.

I thought it was a great idea personally but it soon died a death.

Goodtime charlies offered hotdogs or burgers.

You take that back! Hollywood Nights was the best spot for meeting Spanish girls working as au pairs for well-off South County Dublin families.

A guy I knew was in second year in Maynooth training to be a priest. We ended up in Hollywood Nights, he met a Spanish girl and that was the end of the priesthood for him. I've lost track of him for a few years now but last I heard he was married and living in Spain.

That was as a result of some judge's ruling that people need some soakage in thier system after a night's boozing it up.

I thought it was a great idea personally but it soon died a death.

Goodtime charlies offered hotdogs or burgers.

Didn't know the rationale behind it as I'm just a blow-in foreigner. I recall particularly vile offerings of "curry" in Rumours and Clare's(?) in the Mont Clare Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

The old Kitchen
    Mono
    Original Pod/Redbox
    Tivoli
    Switch
    Spirit (especially when it just opened and Louis Vega played till 5am)

Dublin used to have a great clubbing scene once. Miss it.

daRobot wrote: »
    The old Kitchen
    Mono
    Original Pod/Redbox
    Tivoli
    Switch
    Spirit (especially when it just opened and Louis Vega played till 5am)

Dublin used to have a great clubbing scene once. Miss it.

Never liked Spirit...even with a feed of yokes.

It seemed to be full of knobheads and just trying too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Never liked Spirit...even with a feed of yokes.

It seemed to be full of knobheads and just trying too hard.

lol

Yep, it was Dublin's attempt at Pacha, with the dancers etc. They booked some big names in house music at the start, and with the late opening it made for good nights.

But coke was getting much more popular at that time, and eventually it was a load of dressed up, coked up knackers giving it attitude for the night. And that wrecked it.

Sound system was piss-poor too, considering what was invested in the club.

daRobot wrote: »
    lol

Yep, it was Dublin's attempt at Pacha, with the dancers etc. They booked some big names in house music at the start, and with the late opening it made for good nights.

But coke was getting much more popular at that time, and eventually it was a load of dressed up, coked up knackers giving it attitude for the night. And that wrecked it.

Sound system was piss-poor too, considering what was invested in the club.

I was in there one night and this tosspot plonks himself down at our table and chops himself out a line in front of me..he took his bump and threw the tenner he'd been using at me.

"Nice one",say I.."Two drinks..now fcuck off!"

Big shot indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Gyalist wrote: »

That reminds me when I used to work at Spirals "see your face in dee place" disco in Tralee back in the early 90s. We had to serve curry and rice sometimes - there was some legal thing about it but I can't remember - granting of extension or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Joe De Maggios tried to be a Niteclub out in Tallaght for a while and then..

Advertisement