Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Niteclubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Someone mentioned the gigs place on south richmond street earlier in the thread, that was a late night diner not a nightclub that has since [sadly] closed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Anyone remember "Peekers" in Dun Laoghaire???? That was a strange place.

Or Ziggy's up at Bakers corner.... what a KIP!!!!

Ah good auld Ziggy's, the only place I knew that you weren't allowed in if you were Sober ! Great place for scoring any type of Illegal substance you could think of.

21/25

The bridge downstairs in bewleys on westmoreland street. Great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

not yet wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody mentioned Rumours on O'connell st yet and Magnums beside it....ahhh the 80s.

Didnt Rumours have a clear see through stair case so one could admire which classy ladies were going commando?

Has Bensons been mentioned yet, was downstairs in what might have been Conways pub opposite the Rotunda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

branners69 wrote: »
    Has Bensons been mentioned yet, was downstairs in what might have been Conways pub opposite the Rotunda?

That would be the Parnell Mooney a few doors up. It also had a back stairs to an upstairs room which was used on some occasions. Firehouse Skank reggae night was a Thursday regular for many years - just breathe in and you'd get stoned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

tricky D wrote: »
    That would be the Parnell Mooney a few doors up. It also had a back stairs to an upstairs room which was used on some occasions. Firehouse Skank reggae night was a Thursday regular for many years - just breathe in and you'd get stoned.

That place was incredible...if you were skinning up on the table the staff would would wipe around the joint so as not to inconvenince you..i used to head in there with up to 40 of my baldoyle friends and the place would be literally blue with smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

gugleguy wrote: »
    All niteclubs when they get too old become 'scummy' or 'manky' really tbh. Can anybody on this thread name a Dublin niteclub that was closed down 'in it's prime'? :rolleyes:
    Crawdaddy was still going fairly strong when it got quite unexpectedly shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

miamee wrote: »
    It was called The End when we used to go there (1994-95ish I think) :D

Any chance that it was called Heartbreakers before it was called The End - or was there two night clubs there?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

deelite wrote: »
    Any chance that it was called Heartbreakers before it was called The End - or was there two night clubs there?

I wasn't there too much at all but it could very well have been Heartbreakers first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Honey's close to the Parnell Mooney. The door of this niteclub was below the hotel faschia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

fireworks, in the old firestation. El Mondo

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Any love for Club USI and The Kitchen?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

ongarboy wrote: »
    That reminds me when I used to work at Spirals "see your face in dee place" disco in Tralee back in the early 90s. We had to serve curry and rice sometimes - there was some legal thing about it but I can't remember - granting of extension or something?

They had a dinner dancing licence which allowed them to stay open late. Depending on the local judge / cops they would enforce the dinner part of this. Utterly bizarre at times.

SQ2 wrote: »
    Any love for Club USI and The Kitchen?!

The Kitchen had its moments back in the late 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

The Tube in the Ierne Ball Room, (alternative to the Apartment)
    Casper and Gambinis , with the phones on the tables so you could ring your future wife, from a distance :)
    Blinkers,
    Joys
    Sloopys
    Rios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

The castle,jets,the ormond and Colombia mills i used to frequent.a poster mentioned that the castle was "scummy" but that's not entirely true,the clientele was made up some very "colourful" characters it has to be said but it was a very rare occasion when trouble happened,the bouncers were headcases. i ventured into the blue banana in clondalkin one night,that was scummy.Nothing untoward happened me,but it made the castle look like an upmarket Manhattan cocktail bar.
    I worked the door of both these particular venues as well as The Asylum & the Temple theatre, happy days, fond memories, mental scars :D

Heaven in Blanchardstown Shopping Complex, near the Gym. Later called Wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Back in the day I frequented quite regularly

Steers, red cow.
    Blue banana ,clondalkin.
    Rumours, o Connell st.
    And on Monday nights there was one at the harp bar at o Connell bridge ??
    Not forgetting them wine bars/clubs on lesson st.

Go anywhere for a late drink them days lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Major Toms used to be great for a go of a nurse of a Monday night. :)

realies wrote: »
    Back in the day I frequented quite regularly

Not forgetting them wine bars/clubs on lesson st.

Go anywhere for a late drink them days lol
    and buy a bottle of awful quality stuff for £ 15 which would cost easily a third of that in Tesco/Dunnes. Leeson Street you mean (me being the spelling nazi again :o)

• Advertisement

Anybody remember Sinner's on parlaiment st?

Not an nightclub as such but a Lebabnese restaurant that served wine til 6am.

They lost thier licence a couple of times and the wine was served in china1 teapots to be consumed from dainty little cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

and buy a bottle of awful quality stuff for £ 15 which would cost easily a third of that in Tesco/Dunnes. Leeson Street you mean (me being the spelling nazi again :o)

Dubonnet and coke anyone?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Still have my apartment membership card. I'd say I was about 15 judging by the picture, is it closed now? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

chopper6 wrote: »
    Anybody remember Sinner's on parlaiment st?

Not an nightclub as such but a Lebabnese restaurant that served wine til 6am.

They lost thier licence a couple of times and the wine was served in china1 teapots to be consumed from dainty little cups.

Jerry, the guy who owned Sinners, used to own Styx on Leeson Street before he opened Sinners. So no real surprise at the way the wine was served.

The Buddabar in Blanchardstown shopping mall close to the McDonald's drivethru. 2000 ish to 2005 ish. There was a large budda sculpture inside. It had an interesting mix of customers from Joe cool to Sid vicious. I remember going into the men's restroom and there was an 'argument' going on inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

deelite wrote: »

Definitely The End in late 80s/early 90s,then it closed down,I think.

Remember Gigis & Chichis(sp??) on Harcourt Street,early 90s?
    Memories of heading to Lesson Street for sparkling wine before breakfast in the Manhattan.

Crazy nights/mornings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Bensons downstairs in the Parnell Mooney

Proper kip

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

cats and leggs and bucks, bucks now opens up into cats and has full bar, leggs, its 30 lids a bottle of plonk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Garda club.
    Night owls in ranelagh
    Itchy feet, terenure
    The pink elephant

• Advertisement

The Garda club is still there

I dont think anyone has mentioned the notorious Sachs yet

Advertisement