Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014-15 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

The Russian and Ukrainian teams will not be drawn against each other in this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Round of 16 Draw

Everton FC (ENG) V FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) V AFC Ajax (NED)
    FC Zenit (RUS) V Torino FC (ITA)
    VfL Wolfsburg (GER) V FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)
    Villarreal CF (ESP) V Sevilla FC (ESP)
    SSC Napoli (ITA) V FC Dinamo Moskva (RUS)
    Club Brugge KV (BEL) V Beşiktaş JK (TUR)
    ACF Fiorentina (ITA) V AS Roma (ITA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Premiership's performance in this competition and in the CL really has been shocking. It's getting harder and harder to run away from this stuff on a yearly basis in terms of understanding where the league sits in the context of European football as a whole. Most damning is the fact that Barcelona / Monaco / Besiktas / Fiorentina were all full value for their victories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, the 'best league in the world' has been shown up a bit this week.

I bet you'll hear the excuses from Spurs and Pool fans that they weren't taking the EL too seriously. It might end up being their only way into the CL next season, shame its gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah, the 'best league in the world' has been shown up a bit this week.

I bet you'll hear the excuses from Spurs and Pool fans that they weren't taking the EL too seriously. It might end up being their only way into the CL next season, shame its gone now.

Long time since it's been the best league in the world in terms of competing in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

With the Europa now offering a champions league spot to the winner, there's no excuse. I'd laugh my hole off if after not being arsed with it Liverpool or Spurs finished fourth and Everton won the bloody thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

spiralism wrote: »
    With the Europa now offering a champions league spot to the winner, there's no excuse. I'd laugh my hole off if after not being arsed with it Liverpool or Spurs finished fourth and Everton won the bloody thing.

I think 5 teams are allowed in the same competition now to compensate for this.

Mushy wrote: »
    I think 5 teams are allowed in the same competition now to compensate for this.

I heard the opposite actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Yes a 5th team is allowed now where this situation arises.

But don't let people inside Liverpool or Spurs convince you they weren't arsed with this. They certainly were!

• Advertisement

I heard the opposite actually

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html

5 teams are allowed per league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Premiership's performance in this competition and in the CL really has been shocking. It's getting harder and harder to run away from this stuff on a yearly basis in terms of understanding where the league sits in the context of European football as a whole. Most damning is the fact that Barcelona / Monaco / Besiktas / Fiorentina were all full value for their victories.

The premier ship needs to be shortened to 18 teams i think, the fact that over xmas they play about 8 games in 2 wks doesnt help while most of europe have a winter break, english teams look wrecked this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Long time since it's been the best league in the world in terms of competing in Europe.
    United lost in the final in 10/11 and Chelsea won it in 11/12.

Yeah it's been a long time alright.:rolleyes:

As for the Europa league, Chelsea won it two in 12/13, Fulham lost in the final in 09/10.

eagle eye wrote: »
    United lost in the final in 10/11 and Chelsea won it in 11/12.

Yeah it's been a long time alright.:rolleyes:

As for the Europa league, Chelsea won it two in 12/13, Fulham lost in the final in 09/10.

We're at least 2 years off the coefficient lowering enough to cost Premier League sides a european place iirc. So this is all about short memories more than anything.

Not that long at all tbh. Had multiple teams in the latter stages of Champion's League Competition between 2004 and 2009. There has been a big drop off in the half decade since though and Chelsea are being forced to keep the flame in recent years.

It's hard to understand on some level. More money in the league than ever before but it doesn't seem to be translating across to higher quality squads. Certainly at the Middle and Lower reaches of the league it seems teams are merely paying more for the same calibre of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

shamrock55 wrote: »
    The premier ship needs to be shortened to 18 teams i think, the fact that over xmas they play about 8 games in 2 wks doesnt help while most of europe have a winter break, english teams look wrecked this time of year

La Liga, Seria A, Ligue 1 in France all have 20 teams, the fact there are games played in the Premier League over Xmas has nothing to do with completing the fixtures its to do with TV deals and money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Not that long at all tbh. Had multiple teams in the latter stages of Champion's League Competition between 2004 and 2009. There has been a big drop off in the half decade since though and Chelsea are being forced to keep the flame in recent years.

Latter stages means feck all to be honest. Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 winners from the premiership in a decade. Chelsea/Liverpool/United.

In more recent times, as you stated the only team that has stood a chance in is Chelsea, even then, they are a bit off the pace. (Maybe not this season)

Spain/Germany in terms of 'greats' are way ahead. You'd fancy Barca/Madrid/Munich to beat any english team over 2 legs. I'd even include Atletico in that. Juve would also be no push overs. But in terms of 'English Champions' compared to other leagues. Well... we all know City fair in Europe and also United. Which are the two most recent champions.

Latter stages means feck all to be honest.

I'd say it means a lot if you're trying to judge the competitiveness of a league. The Premiership had three of the four semi finalists in both 2007 and 2008. Seems relevant in determining the relative high point of the league in European competition.
    Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 winners from the premiership in a decade. Chelsea/Liverpool/United.

Congrats for pulling that info from the top of your head.
    In more recent times, as you stated the only team that has stood a chance in is Chelsea, even then, they are a bit off the pace. (Maybe not this season)

I don't really think a club that has won two European trophies and got to a CL semi final over the past three seasons is 'off the pace' in Europe tbh.
    Spain/Germany in terms of 'greats' are way ahead. You'd fancy Barca/Madrid/Munich to beat any english team over 2 legs. I'd even include Atletico in that. Juve would also be no push overs. But in terms of 'English Champions' compared to other leagues. Well... we all know City fair in Europe and also United. Which are the two most recent champions.

Yes, right now English teams bar Chelsea are off the pace and look to set to turn in a cumulatively disgraceful account in European competition. Hence why I raised the topic for conversation. However, it is not ancient history when English clubs ruled the roost. A mere half decade ago Real were trounced over two legs by Liverpool. The interesting question is why the English teams are falling off to such an extent despite an increase in money at their disposal over the past five years.

Cracking match in Kiev. Dynamo 3-1 up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Napoli are through with classic 0-0 Rafa in Europe job, Fiorentina 0-3 up at HT with Kiev 4-3 up on aggr at HT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Everton being put to the sword by Dynamo Kiev.

5-1 on the night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

5-2 now

That was a strange game - if Evertons shooting were a fraction better they'd have won that, equally if they had anything resembling a defence they'd have won that. Instead its a fairly horrid looking defeat.

Good win for Kiev, and a poor defeat for Everton.

Martinez under pressure now I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Good win for Kiev, and a poor defeat for Everton.

Martinez under pressure now I'd say.

Doubt it tbh, he has a lot of fans in the British media who will continue to sell him as a genius of some sort. Anyone who would sign yer man alcaraz after having him previously at Wigan should be questioned IMHO, either he knows fcuk all or else there is something dodgy at play if you ask me!

Doubt it tbh, he has a lot of fans in the British media who will continue to sell him as a genius of some sort. Anyone who would sign yer man alcaraz after having him previously at Wigan should be questioned IMHO, either he knows fcuk all or else there is something dodgy at play if you ask me!

I hope you're right but I think he may get the bullet

Wolfsburg 4-1 up on agg.

5-2 now.

Lord Bendtner scores a rare goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Uncanny how well Slavan Bilic knows European Football, ...

He predicted Club Brugge(my team from back home) were no Liverpool before his Besiktas played Brugge 2 weeks ago... I guess he was right, Brugge went to Turkey after winning 2-1 at home and beat Besiktas 1-3 away from home ...Yup, Liverpool didnt manage that :P :D

FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) 5 V 2 Everton FC (ENG) (Agg 6-4)
    AFC Ajax (NED) 2 V 1 FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) (Agg 2-2) FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) win on away goals
    Torino FC (ITA) 1 V 0 FC Zenit (RUS) (Agg 1-2)
    FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) 1 V 2 VfL Wolfsburg (GER) (Agg 2-5)
    Sevilla FC (ESP) 2 V 1 Villarreal CF (ESP) (Agg 5-2)
    FC Dinamo Moskva (RUS) 0 V 0 SSC Napoli (ITA) (Agg 1-3)
    Beşiktaş JK (TUR) 1 V 3 Club Brugge KV (BEL) (Agg 2-5)
    AS Roma (ITA) 0 V 3 ACF Fiorentina (ITA) (Agg 1-4)

Quarter Final Teams
    FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
    SSC Napoli (ITA)
    ACF Fiorentina (ITA)
    VfL Wolfsburg (GER)
    Sevilla FC (ESP)
    Club Brugge KV (BEL)
    FC Zenit (RUS)
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Draw:

Sevilla v Zenit St Petersburg
    Dnipro v Club Brugge
    Dynamo Kiev v Fiorentina
    Wolfsburg v Napoli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Three cracking ties there, Dnipro are hard to watch for me.

I think the winner will be either Napoli or the winner of the Sevilla/Zenit tie. Fiorentina look decent too but I think Napoli are better than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If Wolfsburg can get past Napoli I think they'll go all the way. They would give any team in the world a game in their current form.

I have them at 25s so I'm a bit biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Oat23 wrote: »
    If Wolfsburg can get past Napoli I think they'll go all the way. They would give any team in the world a game in their current form.

I have them at 25s so I'm a bit biased.

Agree 100% and it would be a fitting tribute to Junior Malanda also! Hope they do it!

Is Schurrle eligible to play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

kfallon wrote: »
    Agree 100% and it would be a fitting tribute to Junior Malanda also! Hope they do it!

Is Schurrle eligible to play?

Yes, he is. He started against Inter in the 1st leg and was on the bench last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It's hard to understand on some level. More money in the league than ever before but it doesn't seem to be translating across to higher quality squads. Certainly at the Middle and Lower reaches of the league it seems teams are merely paying more for the same calibre of player.

The English transfer market is bizarre. You see the conversations about what does and does not represent good value for all the PL teams each summer and then you see the quality of players at mid- and upper-mid-table clubs in the financially weaker leagues who all cost much less and are paid much less. Even taking into account the difficulties of culture, weather, language and scouting, it should be easy for mid-table PL clubs to buy cheaper and better players from other leagues.

Surprised Besiktas made a balls of last night's game. At home, good side, top of the Super lig and in the Olympic stadium with a record Europa league crowd of 69,000 behind them and a deafening atmosphere. Yet they defended like clowns and Brugge were the better team.

Would have been Ajax v Besiktas if both had their **** together but i'm glad tbh as town would have been a ****ing disaster with Ajax and Besiktas hooligans kicking off.

Surprised Besiktas made a balls of last night's game. At home, good side, top of the Super lig and in the Olympic stadium with a record Europa league crowd of 69,000 behind them and a deafening atmosphere. Yet they defended like clowns and Brugge were the better team.

Would have been Ajax v Besiktas if both had their **** together but i'm glad tbh as town would have been a ****ing disaster with Ajax and Besiktas hooligans kicking off.

Reckon Brugge would have prefered the short trip to Amsterdam :p

Thursday's Quarter Finals

Sevilla FC (ESP) 2 V 1 FC Zenit (RUS)
    Club Brugge KV (BEL) 0 V 0 FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR)
    FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) 1 V 1 ACF Fiorentina (ITA)
    VfL Wolfsburg (GER) 1 V 4 SSC Napoli (ITA)

Thursday's Quarter Finals

Sevilla FC (ESP) V FC Zenit (RUS)
    Club Brugge KV (BEL) V FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR)
    FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) V ACF Fiorentina (ITA)
    VfL Wolfsburg (GER) V SSC Napoli (ITA)

Club Brugge are having serious injury issues and have 1/2 of a B team included for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Wolfsburg v Napoli is a Rafa European master-class

The first goal was handball but the second was very good indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

That Benitez managed to win the Europa League with Chelsea, that was a team he took over mid way through a season had no say in transfer policy and contended with a hostile home support proved just how good he can be in Europe. Not a fan of his in the slightest, but he is fantastic in European competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Two cracking finishes for Napoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Napoli fairly ruthless tonight, 4-0

The new favourites you'd have to say. Everyone else looks toothless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Amazing from napoli, thought wolfsburg would have too much for them, very wrong of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Watched Wolfsburg only 3 times this season and they have been horrendous every time. Have they been that bad all the time this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hang on Lord Bendtner appears and scores!!!

lol gets a yellow celebrating 4-1 down, he really is a tad odd.

Gabbiadini nearly made it 5-1 there.

Would be great for Rafa to win Napoli their first European trophy since the Maradona years. Be a great way for him to leave the club.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Hang on Lord Bendtner appears and scores!!!

lol gets a yellow celebrating 4-1 down, he really is a tad odd.

Best striker in the world. And don't you forget it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Higuain really is an incredible striker

• Advertisement
Advertisement