Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014-15 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

greendom wrote: »
    How much of a blow is it that Pogba is out of the tie?

If you're going to survive without Pogba against a midfield at this stage of the competition, Monaco would be the team you'd want to try and do it against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

greendom wrote: »
    How much of a blow is it that Pogba is out of the tie?
    He'll be a massive loss for the semi final (if Juve get there). They should be able to beat Monaco with a midfield three of Vidal-Pirlo-Marchisio and Pereyra in front of them.

Probable team to play Monaco:
    Buffon
    Lichtsteiner Bonucci Chiellini Evra
    Vidal Pirlo Marchisio
    Pereyra
    Tevez Morata

Against the likes of Bayern or Barca you couldn't play Pirlo any more. He can be a complete defensive liability. You want Marchisio in the sitting role where he was so good against Dortmund. So you'd be looking at playing Pereyra-Marchisio-Vidal in midfield, probably in a 3-5-2 (like what happened when Barzagli came on for Pogba the last night).

Possible semi final team:
    Buffon
    Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
    Lichtsteiner Pereyra Marchisio Vidal Evra
    Tevez Morata

I'd be worried about the 3-5-2 against top teams though. It can get badly exploited down the wings. I couldn't imagine it going well against Real Madrid for example. I'm adamant that you couldn't start Pirlo in front of the back four against any of the likely semi finalists though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not a great draw.

We've had enough Madrid derbies of late and the spectacles haven't been great.
    Barca PSG is a repeat fixture.

Is there another draw for the semi's or is the winners of the top two games play each other and the winners of the bottom two games play each other. If so, you'd have to fancy Bayern reaching the final and probably winning it. Their path to get there looks a whole lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is the draw fixed now right through to the final, i.e. do the winners of each tie now know who they will meet in the semi's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No. They stopped doing that a few years ago for some reason.

I fancy Bayern myself, although I would like to see either Atleti or Juve do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

He'll be a massive loss for the semi final (if Juve get there). They should be able to beat Monaco with a midfield three of Vidal-Pirlo-Marchisio and Pereyra in front of them.

Probable team to play Monaco:
    Buffon
    Lichtsteiner Bonucci Chiellini Evra
    Vidal Pirlo Marchisio
    Pereyra
    Tevez Morata

Against the likes of Bayern or Barca you couldn't play Pirlo any more. He can be a complete defensive liability. You want Marchisio in the sitting role where he was so good against Dortmund. So you'd be looking at playing Pereyra-Marchisio-Vidal in midfield, probably in a 3-5-2 (like what happened when Barzagli came on for Pogba the last night).

Possible semi final team:
    Buffon
    Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
    Lichtsteiner Pereyra Marchisio Vidal Evra
    Tevez Morata

I'd be worried about the 3-5-2 against top teams though. It can get badly exploited down the wings. I couldn't imagine it going well against Real Madrid for example. I'm adamant that you couldn't start Pirlo in front of the back four against any of the likely semi finalists though.
    Agreed, although I think Pirlo can definitely be a difference maker against big clubs, he just struggles against a pressing game like Dortmunds.

They will miss Pogba, but even without him the Juve midfield is one of the best around, not too worried about if Marchisio/Vidal keep fit. I'd be much more worried if Tevez was out, he carries Juve much more than Pogba does.

If Juve beat Monaco, I'll be going to the semi finals in Turin.....:pac:

snowblind wrote: »
    If Juve beat Monaco, I'll be going to the semi finals in Turin.....:pac:

Would love to see that, get me a ticket will ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

1st Leg Results

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 0 V 0 Real Madrid CF (ESP)
    Juventus (ITA) 1 V 0 AS Monaco FC (FRA)
    FC Porto (POR) 3 V 1 FC Bayern München (GER)
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 1 V 3 FC Barcelona (ESP)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I think given how good the offer is it is okay to plug this here (despite belonging on the gambling forum)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057412864
    Bet365 are doing this offer (available to all not just new customers):

Atletico Madrid take on Real Madrid in the Champions League on Tuesday 14th April - and we’ve got a fantastic In-Play bet offer to add to the excitement.

Place a pre-match bet on the Atletico Madrid v Real Madrid game and we will give you a risk free In-Play bet to the same stake on the big match.

To qualify for your risk free In-Play bet, simply place a bet before kick-off, then once the game starts place another bet on any In-Play market. If your FIRST In-Play bet loses we will refund this stake, up to the same value as your largest pre-match bet (max €50*).

Barcelona-celebrate-winni-007.jpg

Image source: Guardian.

In that photo are four of the managers competing tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bayern losing 1-0 to Porto. Quaresma peno. Neuer lucky not to be sent off.

2-0 to Porto now after ten minutes. Quaresma again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That's the final nail in Dante's Bayern career right there.

All hail Quaresma.

2-1 now. Thiago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was chatting with a friend this morning and we both agreed that the best chance of an upset in the QF's was Porto beating Bayern. Porto look very good this season imo and I still think they can cause the upset but they need a two goal lead to bring to Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The lads on Sportsnet Canada reckon it wasn't an obvious goal scoring opportunity :pac:
    Neuer escapes an awful lot of criticism in commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Whats up with Ribery and Robben.. Bayern look devoid of any creativity without them

Brilliant save by Neuer.

3-1, Great finish by Jackson Martinez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

3-1, Great finish by Jackson Martinez.

Good finish allright but what the hell are Bayern playing at? They are a joke defensively. All 3 goals coming from defensive errors.

Bayern have been nothing short of disgraceful at the back tonight.

Great goal from Suarez to put Barca 2-0 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Alonso has been pure muck for Bayern tonight

Another cracker from Suarez. Game and tie over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Diabolical performance from Bayern. Sh1te at the back and the pace of their attacks is just unbelievably slow, their playing like they have lead in their boots.It's been absolutely tedious watching them attack tonight.Only 2 shots on target in the match and no desperate urgency to pull back another goal after Portos third.

The seem to be a brilliant team at beating weaker opposition but their record against good teams hasn't been great this year.

3-1 is a good result for Porto to take to Germany and probably makes them slight favourites, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bayern turn it around. That away goal could prove very significant. The return leg should be very interesting.

Just seeing Porto-Bayern now. What an atmosphere!

And they're all there in their blue smocks. I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Bayern have been poor and uninspired tonight, worst I've seen from them in years. Similar to the Gladbach game and the cup match in Leverkusen where they looked like just another Bundesliga team. Wins over much weaker league opposite was just paper over the cracks. They seem without plan and without leadership. Schweinsteiger, Robben and Ribery are all injured and they're all getting on. Lahm the same. Letting Kroos go and then ship Alonso in was a huge mistake I never understood.
    There are a lot of injuries but I think there's more than that to it. Strange unforced errors from people who are normally as solid as they come. No pace, no zip in the passes, no real threat, no passion. Pep looked uninterested. If they go out in this spirit I'd say thats him done in the summer. Right now I can't see how they can turn it around in 6 days let alone face someone like Barca or Real. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

Fair play to Porto, they really took the game to Bayern and fully deserved a great win tonight. I'd say they're hopping down there.

Tonight's Games

FC Bayern München (GER) V FC Porto (POR) (Agg 1-3)
    FC Barcelona (ESP) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) (Agg 3-1)

Tomorrows games
    Real Madrid CF (ESP) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) (Agg 0-0)
    AS Monaco FC (FRA) V Juventus (ITA) (Agg 0-1)

• Advertisement

Fancy the semi-finalists to be:

Porto
    Barca
    Atleti (cue camera focusing on Ronaldo, him hands on hips shaking his head)
    Juve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Benzema ,Bale ,Modric, and Marcelo all confirmed out tomorrow for Real .

Can't see Bayern turning it around tonight without Robben, Alaba and Ribery, they all inject pace into the play.

They'll prob have 80% possession without ever carving open Porto too often. As long as Porto don't do anything stupid they should be ok!

That'll be my money gone so :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wonder if Guardiola might be sacked if Bayern get knocked out tonight.

I know the tv stations are treating the Barca tie like it's a done deal. It's not. Barca had a very tough game against Valencia at the weekend. PSG have way more firepower than Valencia have. If they go out all attack with intensity there's a chance we could have an upset.

That said I'll be watching the Bayern game. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I wonder if Guardiola might be sacked if Bayern get knocked out tonight.

There was definitely one article said that he was considering leaving on his own accord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Torn between both games, which one to watch? Bayern Prob have a better chance of overturning the deficit than PSG do, Bayern are at home too and PSG away, but I'm still very undecided. You'd never know with PSG and Zlatan back at the Camp Nou. Bayern have had better line ups though and better players on show in the Barca game. Decisions decisions...

edit: Bayern game is only on TV3. Barca game it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Torn between both games, which one to watch? Bayern Prob have a better chance of overturning the deficit than PSG do, Bayern are at home too and PSG away, but I'm still very undecided. You'd never know with PSG and Zlatan back at the Camp Nou. Bayern have had better line ups though and better players on show in the Barca game. Decisions decisions...

edit: Bayern game is only on TV3. Barca game it is.

I know what ya mean Trevor Welsh etc. going to suffer it anyway hopefully Porto finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Bayern Porto the game to watch for me, however all it takes is a 1-0 lead in the first half for PSG in the Camp Nou for squeaky bum time. They have the talent in te squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm gonna say fair play to TV3 for having the balls to show the less attractive, yet more meaningful game. ITV went with the populist choice despite the tie being as good as over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Meh, games over. Fcuk it

Iniesta is sumptuous to watch

Luiz stepping on more rakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This is where football needs to implement the throw in the towel option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Delighted TV3 are showing Bayern

• Advertisement

Tonight's Results

FC Bayern München (GER) 6 V 1 FC Porto (POR) (Agg 7-4)
    FC Barcelona (ESP) 2 V 0 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) (Agg 5-1)

Luis "Lucho" Enrique has now won a whopping 42 out of 50 games. A new record for a Barca coach.

Also, AndersonisGod wanted him sacked. :pac:

kfallon wrote: »
    Can't see Bayern turning it around tonight without Robben, Alaba and Ribery, they all inject pace into the play.

They'll prob have 80% possession without ever carving open Porto too often. As long as Porto don't do anything stupid they should be ok!

That'll be my money gone so :(

Absolutely delighted that I got that so so wrong :pac:

Still need a fully fit squad tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tonight 4 managers all played in the same Barca team.

What a turnaround for Quaresma. The hero last week and subbed at half-time this week after Porto got pulverized.

• Advertisement
Advertisement