Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More alcohol nonsense

Options
  • 23-06-2014 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0623/625828-alcohol/
    The study defined binge drinking as "consuming 60g or more of pure alcohol on a single drinking occasion. This corresponds to a minimum of three pints of beer or six pub measures of spirits or 600ml of wine".

Now lets use these figures for the EU and find were not as bad as them, oh wait that won't promote a stereo type of us all being alchos.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

im not sure, am i drinking to much or too little?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

3 pints is considered 'a binge'?

By who? Quakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its the ones drinking everyday that are damaging their health that is crazy talk they are on about.

I go out on occasion have a few drinks happy out.

Clean up the zombies in the cities and alcho then problem solved :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

3 pints is a social drink with a nice fillet steak on the stone. Binge me hoop.

What was the old drink drive limit about 15 years ago again.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

wexie wrote: »
    3 pints is considered 'a binge'?

By who? Quakers?

If it's wine or vodka fair cop but it's not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

On a single drinking occasion?

Sometimes my occasions last Friday - Sunday.

I think I'd be expelled from the eu if they tallied my figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

If you have just the few, 2 or 3, then you're doing much less damage to your health, even if you drink regularly. When you start downing drinks then you do a lot more harm. So binge drinking is the term used for going over a safe limit of consumption, even regular consumption which isn't frowned on by itself.

People who get narky about the phrase binge drinking miss the point in spectacular fashion. Cue a hoard of people saying they drink 15 pints a night and it's never done them any harm. :rolleyes:

If it's wine or vodka fair cop but it's not...

nah, 3 pints of wine is having the neighbours over for dinner.

3 pints of Vodka is waking up behind a dumpster without your underpants and phone but with a new tattoo of Ryan Tubridy shagging a goat*

* if you have done this before, this is definitely a binge

On a single drinking occasion?

Sometimes my occasions last Friday - Sunday.

I think I'd be expelled from the eu if they tallied my figures

I think it was it Bill Hicks who said : 'I'm a weekend drinker, start on Sunday, end on Saturday....'

If you have just the few, 2 or 3, then you're doing much less damage to your health, even if you drink regularly. When you start downing drinks then you do a lot more harm. So binge drinking is the term used for going over a safe limit of consumption, even regular consumption which isn't frowned on by itself.

People who get narky about the phrase binge drinking miss the point in spectacular fashion. Cue a hoard of people saying they drink 15 pints a night and it's never done them any harm. :rolleyes:

That's because 3 pints and binge should not be in the same sentence. Everyone knows exactly what binge drinking is. This is just more nonsense, lets ask our EU neighbours if this article fits the description of binge... And if it does i bet they binge way more than us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

pffft, I drink 4028 pints in a night and spend the next day conducting surveys like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bah! Binge-drinking at three pints?

Back in my day you had to really knuckle down and work to go on a binge. You had to prep yourself, line your stomach, clear your whole next day from responsibilities.

These days, you can binge in an hour and be back at work with nobody any the wiser.

And the Leaving Cert was harder too!

Kids these days, they don't know how easy they've got it.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

At this stage I honestly regard all this stuff as propaganda.

I love the average price to is that just a pint €4.58 ? And that's not a pint near me. Spirit with orange or whatever is nearly €6-7. Does show that cans in the offie have gone up stupid prices though €2.76 average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Three pints is a bit ridiculous. Most people I know are fine after three - a little mellow is all.

They might as well come out and say that all alcohol consumption is bad, maybe that's their point. I don't think I've ever had just one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Does show that cans in the offie have gone up stupid prices though €2.76 average

I don't believe that.

It says in the article that 2.76 euro is the price for one standard drink at home.

One standard drink is approx 284ml of beer is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

At this stage I honestly regard all this stuff as propaganda.

I'm not interested in getting into any kind of heated discussion but the effects of alcohol on health are well documented and easily researched, so you can look for yourself at the facts rather than call propaganda. I happen to think a lot of things are propaganda but not this so much.

It's an arbitrary figure given that is going to be different for everyone in reality, but it is addressing rightly that society accepts damaging levels of use. A lot of people aren't responsible drinkers, or don't know that they're giving themselves adverse effects.

If the culture of heavy drinking wasn't so accepted there wouldn't be a need for this kind of thing tbh. A person can do whatever they want to themselves, all the more so when they're aware of what's a safe amount and what's pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

it defined what a binge was. how did it correlate a binge as defined here to harmful effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why does stuff like this annoy people so much it the same with any survey that says cannabis is harmful, brings out a load of cranky annoyed posters. What about a little upfront honesty instead of justifying your drinking]lying to your self ... if you want to live for the weekend/spend every Friday drinking 15 pints spending Saturday in a funk and Sunday afternoons in the pub, think a bank holiday is chance to drink more and believe because you are holding down a job you are grand, go for it but don't fool your self.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I love the average price to is that just a pint €4.58 ? And that's not a pint near me. Spirit with orange or whatever is nearly €6-7. Does show that cans in the offie have gone up stupid prices though €2.76 average

They might mean a standard unit which is half a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why does stuff like this annoy people so much it the same with any survey that says cannabis is harmful, brings out a load of cranky annoyed posters. What about a little upfront honesty instead of justifying your drinking]lying to your self ... if you want to live for the weekend/spend every Friday drinking 15 pints spending Saturday in a funk and Sunday afternoons in the pub, think a bank holiday is chance to drink more and believe because you are holding down a job you are grand, go for it but don't fool your self.

I think you are more annoyed about this than anyone else here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Those figures were compiled by the VFI I presume? (I heard something ref offie price increases to tackle at home drinking on newstalk this am)

****. 3 pints. Jesus, sure I've spilt more on a decent session.

Those figures were compiled by the VFI I presume? (I heard something ref offie price increases to tackle at home drinking.

****. 3 pints. Jesus, sure I've spilt more on a decent session.

Already stupidly expensive for the fizzy pop larger in my local offie €2.42 ish for a can of Carlsberg. Stupidly high mark-ups on this stuff considering it’s ridiculously cheap to produce and mostly marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A serious drink binge would be a few days not a few pints

someone needs to challenge these idiots

A serious drink binge would be a few days not a few pints

someone needs to challenge these idiots

Exactly RTE news was saying 1 million problem drinkers...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmmm...

Irony:

- Thread talking about excessive consumption of alcohol: universal Boardsie outrage!

- Thread talking about excessive consumption of fizzy drinks: Tax it!! Think of the children!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Remember the way the Brits used to tell jokes about the Irish being thick? And then stopped?

Well if they get to read any of the ****e put out by these Health Research Board dimwits they'll start with them again, and with justification.

Here's a quote from the RTE news story
    the population of drinkers spent over €50.6m on alcohol in the week prior to the study ......
    It found that the self-reported average price of a standard drink is highest in hotels or restaurants at €4.58 and lowest at home or in someone else's home at €2.76.

OK. Let's do some sums here to put some context on these figures. The Irish Republic's population is 4.8 million. According to these figures 21.4% are under 14 and 12% are aged between 15 and 24. Let's say for the sake of argument that a total of 75 per cent of the population is over 18, ie of legal drinking age.

That means that 3.6 million people spend 50.6million euros or 14 euro a week each on booze.

In terms of units, even if we spent all of it on the cheap, stay-at-home variety and never went out that means we drink a total of 14/2.76 units, ie FIVE UNITS A WEEK.

What's a unit? Answer here.

Two and a half pints a WEEK!!!!! And that's without going out. If you went to a swanky hotel or restaurant, according to teh survey's own figures, you'd be having three units A WEEK. That's one and a half pints or three small glasses of wine.

Clearly overall consumption is not our problem. It's the manner in which we do it. And despite having the most expensive booze in Europe these arse brains can only think to make it more expensive. Because clearly that works!!!!

I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The point is if you are happy with your drinking why get annoyed with the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Exactly RTE news was saying 1 million problem drinkers...

There would certainly be a problem since offy's close at 10pm..

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    The point is if you are happy with your drinking why get annoyed with the survey.

Because they want to use crap like this as an excuse to tax it more....:mad:

Advertisement