Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More alcohol nonsense

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Exactly RTE news was saying 1 million problem drinkers...

.....1 million?

so that's about 1 of every 2 or so (maybe 3) adults in the country?
    I call bull****.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Its the ones drinking everyday that are damaging their health that is crazy talk they are on about.

Drinking a lot everyday? yes.

But binging once or twice a week would be far worse for you than having one or two drinks every evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

wexie wrote: »
    .....1 million?

so that's about 1 of every 2 or so (maybe 3) adults in the country?
    I call bull****.....

Think their going by the 3 pints your a problem drinker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Binge drinking has been normalised in this country to the extent that 3 pints is considered nowhere near a binge, based on some of the replies here anyway.

But think about it, 3 pints is just over 1700ml of beer, that's quite a lot, the equivalent of 5 cans of coke in fact. If somebody drank 5 cans of coke in one sitting, would you not call it a binge? We continue putting our fingers in our ears and drinking ourselves to oblivion most weekends, but sure everyone's doing it, it's right craic let's laugh it off. These figures are scary but you don't even need figures, just look at any town on a Saturday night and you'll see the problem is as bad as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I had three cans while watching the World Cup last night. Do I have to go to AA now?

jebuz wrote: »
    Binge drinking has been normalised in this country to the extent that 3 pints is considered nowhere near a binge, based on some of the replies here anyway.

But think about it, 3 pints is just over 1700ml of beer, that's quite a lot, the equivalent of 5 cans of coke in fact. If somebody drank 5 cans of coke in one sitting, would you not call it a binge? We continue putting our fingers in our ears and drinking ourselves to oblivion most weekends, but sure everyone's doing it, it's right craic let's laugh it off. These figures are scary but you don't even need figures, just look at any town on a Saturday night and you'll see the problem is as bad as ever.

Please show the rest of us Another EU country that would consider this binge drinking.

LOL, 1 in 14 are dependent, good luck.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Irony:

- Thread talking about excessive consumption of alcohol: universal Boardsie outrage!

- Thread talking about excessive consumption of fizzy drinks: Tax it!! Think of the children!!
    Most on the thread about taxing any fizzy drinks (not excessive consumption) seemed to be against it. But hey, why let reality get in the way of the narrative you have running in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Alcohol, the only drug in the world you have to justify saying no to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Ireland is drink-sodden to the extent that what seems like a big majority are completely inured to how alcohol-dependent they really are. So many Irish people cannot conceive of a holiday or a weekend without multiple pints. I suppose you have to be on the outside looking in to really see it. But there is a massive sickening dependency on alcohol in this country. Alcohol and watching sport + alcohol - that's a big slice of the pie-chart of Irish social life right there.

FURET wrote: »
    Ireland is drink-sodden to the extent that what seems like a big majority are completely inured to how alcohol-dependent they really are. So many Irish people cannot conceive of a holiday or a weekend without multiple pints. I suppose you have to be on the outside looking in to really see it. But there is a massive sickening dependency on alcohol in this country. Alcohol and watching sport + alcohol - that's a big slice of the pie-chart of Irish social life right there.
    Looking at my middle-aged neighbours taking out their recycling now and then I don't think the social/going-out/pre-drinking youngsters stuff contributes as much as people let on.

FURET wrote: »

Sorry nope, Change Ireland to the world in that statement then you might get away with it. Your just pandering to a stereo type some people drinks to excess in every country we are not alone or unique. we have no higher level than EU average. Yet we are the 2nd most expensive to buy drink in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

Sorry nope, Change Ireland to the world in that statement then you might get away with it. Your just pandering to a stereo type some people drinks to excess in every country we are not alone or unique. we have no higher level than EU average. Yet we are the 2nd most expensive to buy drink in.

If it applies to the world then it applies to Ireland, and this is an Irish forum discussing Ireland in particular, so you don't have a point there?

The high tax on alcohol had nothing to do with drinking culture, except that we're getting gouged, but there's nothing new there.

If it applies to the world then it applies to Ireland, and this is an Irish forum discussing Ireland in particular, so you don't have a point there?

The high tax on alcohol had nothing to do with drinking culture, except that we're getting gouged, but there's nothing new there.

So Ireland does or does not drink more than anyone else now ?

So Ireland does or does not drink more than anyone else now ?

The issue is health itself, not what country is more healthy by comparison. That doesn't have anything to do with anything. It's erroneous, and side steps the actual issues around alcohol completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

But think about it, 3 pints is just over 1700ml of beer, that's quite a lot,

In a week??????
    These figures are scary but you don't even need figures, just look at any town on a Saturday night and you'll see the problem is as bad as ever.

Yes it is. We have a problem. It's what we're trying to do about it that's nuts. How does that saw go about the definition of insanity being doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

That's what we're doing. These chumps haven't a clue how to address the problem. I don't think they want to. They want to blow themselves up with their own importance and then release the hot air all over the rest of us. If we complain about the flatulence, they say we are "in the pay of the drinks industry"

The figures that these guys highlight do NOTHING to strengthen their case for greater restrictions, higher prices, less frequent availability.

We already have the most expensive alcohol in Europe, according to Eurostat. We don't have an overconsumption problem, as deduced by the very figures the HRB has put out to support their own position.

It averages out to a consumption rate of three pints A WEEK for every adult over the age of 18.

Clearly we don't drink too much; we drink too irresponsibly. We don't drink sensibly. We drink to get pissed. We don't stop at one or two. We don't do it EVERY night but when we do, we do it in a rush.

How do we get people to be a bit more sensible?

We won't do it by being deferential to these self-important prats in the health industry.

Have we learned nothing from the unworthy deference we used to pay to the religious orders?

We'll do it because we want to. Now, how to encourage people rather than restrict them? How to dangle the carrot instead of wave the stick? That's the problem.

In a week??????

Obviously not :D Read post again, I'm talking about one sitting

Please show the rest of us Another EU country that would consider this binge drinking.

What does it matter what another country considers binging? We're talking about Ireland. The fact is that drinking at least 1.7 litres of tea, beer, coke or whatever in one sitting is excessive, and scarily, that's the lower end of excess in terms of beer. Just because it's beer and just because it's only 3 out of a probably 8-10 pints, doesn't make it not binging.

Nobodies saying it's not an issue in other countries, it definitely is. But I've been out in a few European cities and have never witnessed the embarrassing scenes we have now come to expect most weekends here. We have a serious problem and in my opinion and it stems from this culture of every single event and every single weekend revolving around alcohol. I was part of it up until a few years ago when I changed my habits. As far as I was concerned it was just the thing to do and never really questioned it, just went with it and laughed it off, hurray for the Irish and that's likely the mindset of the teenagers today, nothing's changing.

It's rare now but there are occasions where I'd drink at least 3 pints, usually a wedding or stag but at least I can call it a binge, because that's what it is. Anyone getting irritated by the fact it's called a binge should probably ask themselves why.

I had a few Swedish friends over this weekend, they were pretty appalled by the state of a local town at 1:30am last Saturday night, everyone falling around the place and fights breaking out left right and centre. They told me they never witness this when they go out on a weekend, they typically have a couple of bottles and go home and sit in a sauna or something else Swedish. Point is...what's the point again. There's a point there somewhere.

What does it matter what another country considers binging? We're talking about Ireland. The fact is that drinking at least 1.7 litres of tea, beer, coke or whatever in one sitting is excessive, and scarily, that's the lower end of excess in terms of beer. Just because it's beer and just because it's only 3 out of a probably 8-10 pints, doesn't make it not binging.

Nobodies saying it's not an issue in other countries, it definitely is. But I've been out in a few European cities and have never witnessed the embarrassing scenes we have now come to expect most weekends here. We have a serious problem and in my opinion and it stems from this culture of every single event and every single weekend revolving around alcohol. I was part of it up until a few years ago when I changed my habits. As far as I was concerned it was just the thing to do and never really questioned it, just went with it and laughed it off, hurray for the Irish and that's likely the mindset of the teenagers today, nothing's changing.

It's rare now but there are occasions where I'd drink at least 3 pints, usually a wedding or stag but at least I can call it a binge, because that's what it is. Anyone getting irritated by the fact it's called a binge should probably ask themselves why.

I had a few Swedish friends over this weekend, they were pretty appalled by the state of a local town at 1:30am last Saturday night, everyone falling around the place and fights breaking out left right and centre. They told me they never witness this when they go out on a weekend, they typically have a couple of bottles and go home and sit in a sauna or something else Swedish. Point is...what's the point again. There's a point there somewhere.

Other European cities don't close at stupid o'clock that's why you don't see the same stuff going on. It's a slow drift of drunken people not a mass closing of places releasing all their intoxicated clientele onto the street at once. Uk has the exact same issue. We have been shoved into this binge behaviour if you want to call it that by stupid o'clock closing times. No time to have a nice time out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Shock horror the Irish trying to defend their drink problems. Time to wake up. As a nation we have a terrible drink problem.

Shock horror the Irish trying to defend their drink problems. Time to wake up. As a nation we have a terrible drink problem.

Stats compared to other countries please ? All I hear a lot of is We have a problem. Compared to whom ? We can admit some people binge and all get released onto the street all at the same time. Were else does that happen that does not seem to have any alcohol problems. Germany you can drink all night and all day your not going to notice as there not all released all at the same time onto the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Stats compared to other countries please ? All I hear a lot of is We have a problem. Compared to whom ? We can admit some people binge and all get released onto the street all at the same time. Were else does that happen that does not seem to have any alcohol problems. Germany you can drink all night and all day your not going to notice as there not all released all at the same time onto the street.

So if my neighbour murders his wife, its ok for me to do it too. Good logic. It doesn't matter what other countries do.

1) Pick some random pointless angle to shout about that doesn't have anything to do with anything.

2) Don't relent.

So if my neighbour murders his wife, its ok for me to do it too. Good logic. It doesn't matter what other countries do.

From Ireland apparently drinking to much to murder how efficient of you. Maybe you should google logic not me ?
    1) Pick some random pointless angle to shout about that doesn't have anything to do with anything.

2) Don't relent.

Not really the stats they are using if you break them down into averages like they are doing clearly shows we don't have any issue at all.

Actually I think the reverse is true. Alcohol consumption has been dropping for over a decade, yet some people won't miss a chance to castigate ourselves over it.
    Alcohol consumption declined by 12.5% between 2007 and 2012 and has fallen by 19% since consumption levels peaked in 2001.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0308/375163-report-points-to-falling-alcohol-consumption-here/

Ever had a girl tell you how she "totally pigged out", and when quizzed reveals that she actually had a Goodfellas pizza or the likes? I used to think I was irritated at that because it was, well, sh!te talk. But now thankfully I realise that I actually have an eating disorder. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

So, what are you doing about your drink problem ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

c_man wrote: »
    Ever had a girl tell you how she "totally pigged out", and when quizzed reveals that she actually had a Goodfellas pizza or the likes? I used to think I was irritated at that because it was, well, sh!te talk. But now thankfully I realise that I actually have an eating disorder. Thanks!

Having a full Goodfellas pizza to oneself IS pigging out, considering it'd be north of 1000 calories.

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    Having a full Goodfellas pizza to oneself IS pigging out, considering it'd be north of 1000 calories.

I give up! I can't win!

Advertisement