Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More alcohol nonsense

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

So if my neighbour murders his wife, its ok for me to do it too. Good logic. It doesn't matter what other countries do.

It matters to the neo-prohibitionist when the figures can be used to show us top of some table for alcohol consumption. When these are debunked and its pointed out our alcohol consumption is fairly average then its doesnt matter all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

c_man wrote: »
    I give up! I can't win!

Just sayin', like. :pac:

Alcohol consumption has fallen 20% since 2001.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0308/375163-report-points-to-falling-alcohol-consumption-here/

This neo-prohibitionism is an industry in itself here.

drumswan wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0308/375163-report-points-to-falling-alcohol-consumption-here/

That's so hard to believe considering the worst excesses of the tiger years came after that, or at least seemed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

There is no prohibition in Ireland.

• Advertisement

There is no prohibition in Ireland.

Not today, but we need to stay ever vigilant comrade

Not today, but we need to stay ever vigilant comrade

Not at all, period. Are you meant to be Russian now? Good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

wexie wrote: »
    3 pints is considered 'a binge'?

By who? Quakers?

No. Your liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Tarzana wrote: »
    Drinking a lot everyday? yes.

But binging once or twice a week would be far worse for you than having one or two drinks every evening.

No, it wouldn't. Not on this laughable definition of a binge. Having three pints once or twice a week is not far worse that anything. It a perfectly reasonable, healthy way to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

jebuz wrote: »
    Binge drinking has been normalised in this country to the extent that 3 pints is considered nowhere near a binge, based on some of the replies here anyway.

But think about it, 3 pints is just over 1700ml of beer, that's quite a lot, the equivalent of 5 cans of coke in fact. If somebody drank 5 cans of coke in one sitting, would you not call it a binge? We continue putting our fingers in our ears and drinking ourselves to oblivion most weekends, but sure everyone's doing it, it's right craic let's laugh it off. These figures are scary but you don't even need figures, just look at any town on a Saturday night and you'll see the problem is as bad as ever.

5 cans of Coke is probably far worse for you than 3 cans of beer tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I had three cans while watching the World Cup last night. Do I have to go to AA now?
    No

you should never ever drink and drive :mad:

Stats compared to other countries please ? All I hear a lot of is We have a problem. Compared to whom ? We can admit some people binge and all get released onto the street all at the same time. Were else does that happen that does not seem to have any alcohol problems. Germany you can drink all night and all day your not going to notice as there not all released all at the same time onto the street.

We are slightly above the European average - somewhere in the region of .75 of a pint more per person per week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

snaphook wrote: »
    Alcohol, the only drug in the world you have to justify saying no to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why does stuff like this annoy people so much it the same with any survey that says cannabis is harmful, brings out a load of cranky annoyed posters. What about a little upfront honesty instead of justifying your drinking]lying to your self ... if you want to live for the weekend/spend every Friday drinking 15 pints spending Saturday in a funk and Sunday afternoons in the pub, think a bank holiday is chance to drink more and believe because you are holding down a job you are grand, go for it but don't fool your self.

Could not have put it better!

No, it wouldn't. Not on this laughable definition of a binge. Having three pints once or twice a week is not far worse that anything. It a perfectly reasonable, healthy way to behave.

I wasn't talking about that scale, I was talking about Irish-style binges.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why does stuff like this annoy people so much it the same with any survey that says cannabis is harmful, brings out a load of cranky annoyed posters. What about a little upfront honesty instead of justifying your drinking]lying to your self ... if you want to live for the weekend/spend every Friday drinking 15 pints spending Saturday in a funk and Sunday afternoons in the pub, think a bank holiday is chance to drink more and believe because you are holding down a job you are grand, go for it but don't fool your self.

The laughable definition of three pints as a binge, lumping a person meeting his mates for 3 or 4 pints once or twice a week into the same category as the degenerates you describe above, is exactly why people get annoyed by this stuff. Because it's bullsh1t.

Tarzana wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about that scale, I was talking about Irish-style binges.

This thread is about a report concerning Irish people and binge drinking. If you don't accept the reports definition of a binge (3 pints), then you have to accept the report for the load of self-loathing crap that it quite clearly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Not at all, period. Are you meant to be Russian now? Good for you.

Not at all, "period"?

What the hell does that mean, 'Not at all, "menstruation"?'

Speak English, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

In fairness, I'd see no need to binge drink in a pub - well able to talk ****e after just two / three. Nightclubs are a different story, two / three would not have you near stupified enough to enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Actually I think the reverse is true. Alcohol consumption has been dropping for over a decade, yet some people won't miss a chance to castigate ourselves over it.

I'll say it again, in ireland the hair shirt will never go out of style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

The laughable definition of three pints as a binge, lumping a person meeting his mates for 3 or 4 pints once or twice a week into the same category as the degenerates you describe above, is exactly why people get annoyed by this stuff. Because it's bullsh1t.

A degenerate is an *immoral* or *corrupt* person.

How does drinking, regardless of the amount, make someone immoral or corrupt? I don't get it?

Personally, I don't see how one hobby is better than another, again, by definition, a hobby is something you do because you enjoy it. If I enjoy running marathons and do it every day and on the weekends, am I a degenerate too?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How can they define 60g of alcohol as a binge?

It totally depends on bodyweight and a whole host of other factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

3 pints is a social drink with a nice fillet steak on the stone. Binge me hoop.

What was the old drink drive limit about 15 years ago again.......

3 Pints is a litre and a half of Beer. Twice recommended daily limit.

its also 600 calories.. hence the reason Irish men are called "michelin". 6 packs are not part of the Irish physique.

The sad Reality is that I have yet to see a drinking session end with just 3 pints.......///

mezuzaj wrote: »

The sad Reality is that I have yet to see a drinking session end with just 3 pints.......///

Well 3 pints isn't a session so a session couldn't end with 3 pints.

3 pints is a "quick one" on the way home from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

Well 3 pints isn't a session so a session couldn't end with 3 pints.

3 pints is a "quick one" on the way home from work.

Point Proven.. Irish will never learn.

Not at all, "period"?

What the hell does that mean, 'Not at all, "menstruation"?'

Speak English, man.

Ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So if my neighbour murders his wife, its ok for me to do it too. Good logic. It doesn't matter what other countries do.
    stupid comparison, murder is illegal, drinking is legal, murder is taking ones life, drinking is just drinking

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Point Proven.. Irish will never learn.

Learn what?

People like to drink, they enjoy it and that's that. Nobody wants to be listening to constant crap about binge drinking etc.

People are well able to drink loads all across Europe yet most aren't inflicted with having to listen to this sort of rubbish nor are they paying the crazy prices we pay for drink.

The opinion that people don't drink the heads off themselves in other European countries is total imagination.

Pint Proven.. Irish will never learn.
    fyp

• Advertisement

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    In fairness, I'd see no need to binge drink in a pub - well able to talk ****e after just two / three. Nightclubs are a different story, two / three would not have you near stupified enough to enjoy them.

Rimmer: "Yes sir, he says in exchange for the oxygeneration unit he want *you* to be his daughter's mate."
    Lister: "*That's* his daughter?"
    Rimmer: "One of three. Apparently sir *she's* the looker."
    Lister: "Tell him, not if she was the last water yeti lookalike in the world and I was the only boy."
    Rimmer: "Oh, come on, Lister, you've dated worse."
    Lister: "Only due to very poor disco lighting."

Advertisement