Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More alcohol nonsense

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

The opinion that people don't drink the heads off themselves in other European countries is total imagination.

How very true, I always wonder if the people that write this tripe have ever left the country. Go visit Holland when they've just won Group B (or the south of Holland during Carnival it's a week long binge that would put Paddy's day to shame), go visit the Oslo water side on a gorgeous summer's day, the main drag in Budapest in August, Belgium....most weekdays, Germany during the October fests....and so on and so forth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

Learn what?

People like to drink, they enjoy it and that's that. Nobody wants to be listening to constant crap about binge drinking etc.

People are well able to drink loads all across Europe yet most aren't inflicted with having to listen to this sort of rubbish nor are they paying the crazy prices we pay for drink.

The opinion that people don't drink the heads off themselves in other European countries is total imagination.

20 years ago there was no wine Isle in the supermarkets ... Now we are one of chiles biggest customers.

Yes there are other counties with problems. But the does not absolve the Irish. ( as Spanish say mal de muchos consuelo de tontos)

I have seen too many drunks arrive to a&e.

People with drink problems don't see the problem.. until it's too late, marriage breaks up, finances, lost job, cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

This article has made me see the light. I am giving up alcohol and will instead opt for a nice refreshing and affordable soft drink. Oh wait, they're bad too, mmmkay. I know, I shall enjoy a nice glass of crystal clear non bacteria infected tap water instead. I'm sure the brown scum floating on top is just the physical manifestation of the love my government has for me.

I need to buy a cow....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,687 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you look at countries around the world with cheaper alcohol than Ireland you can see the majority of these countries have much lower alcohol consumption, easiest solution is to reduce the price of alcohol here, no need for any additional money to be wasted on reports and investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Rimmer: "Yes sir, he says in exchange for the oxygeneration unit he want *you* to be his daughter's mate."
    Lister: "*That's* his daughter?"
    Rimmer: "One of three. Apparently sir *she's* the looker."
    Lister: "Tell him, not if she was the last water yeti lookalike in the world and I was the only boy."
    Rimmer: "Oh, come on, Lister, you've dated worse."
    Lister: "Only due to very poor disco lighting."

I feel there's a subliminal message in this post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If you look at countries around the world with cheaper alcohol than Ireland you can see the majority of these countries have much lower alcohol consumption, easiest solution is to reduce the price of alcohol here, no need for any additional money to be wasted on reports and investigations.

When can I vote for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

For once science works. I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I feel there's a subliminal message in this post.

3 daughters and a binge is 3 pints?

Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The Dagda wrote: »
    3 daughters and a binge is 3 pints?

Coincidence?

or, who's this Rimmer person and what does he want me to do to his daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

To be fair, if I drank 3 pints of fanta I'd consider myself to be binging on fanta and half the people on here would probably give out stink, fanta has never harmed anyone lads it's you that has the problem

• Advertisement

Archeron wrote: »
    This article has made me see the light. I am giving up alcohol and will instead opt for a nice refreshing and affordable soft drink. Oh wait, they're bad too, mmmkay. I know, I shall enjoy a nice glass of crystal clear non bacteria infected tap water instead. I'm sure the brown scum floating on top is just the physical manifestation of the love my government has for me.

I need to buy a cow....

Try tea. Not killed anyone yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

mezuzaj wrote: »
    Try tea. Not killed anyone yet

Heres the list of side effects from Tea, as listed on webmd.com

Black tea is safe for most adults. Too much black tea, such as more than five cups per day, can cause side effects because of the caffeine. These side effects can range from mild to serious and include headache, nervousness, sleep problems, vomiting, diarrhea, irritability, irregular heartbeat, tremor, heartburn, dizziness, ringing in the ears, convulsions, and confusion.

People who drink black tea or other caffeinated beverages all the time, especially in large amounts, can develop psychological dependence.

Caffeine is PROBABLY SAFE in children in amounts commonly found in foods.
    Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, black tea in small amounts is probably not harmful. Do not drink more than 2 cups a day of black tea. This amount of tea provides about 200 mg of caffeine. Consuming more than this amount during pregnancy has been linked to an increased risk of miscarriage and other negative effects, including symptoms of caffeine withdrawal in newborns and lower birth weight.

If you are breast-feeding, drinking more than 2 cups a day of black tea might cause your baby to become more irritable and have more bowel movements.

Anemia: Drinking black tea may make anemia worse in people with iron deficiency.

Anxiety disorders: The caffeine in black tea might make these conditions worse.

Bleeding disorders: There is some reason to believe that the caffeine in black tea might slow blood clotting, though this hasn’t been shown in people. Use caffeine cautiously if you have a bleeding disorder.

Heart problems: Caffeine in black tea can cause irregular heartbeat in certain people. If you have a heart condition, use caffeine with caution.

Diabetes: The caffeine in black tea might affect blood sugar. Use black tea with caution if you have diabetes.

Diarrhea: Black tea contains caffeine. The caffeine in black tea, especially when taken in large amounts, can worsen diarrhea.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Black tea contains caffeine. The caffeine in black tea, especially when taken in large amounts, can worsen diarrhea and might worsen symptoms of IBS.

Glaucoma: Drinking caffeinated black tea increases the pressure inside the eye. The increase occurs within 30 minutes and lasts for at least 90 minutes.

Hormone-sensitive condition such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Black tea might act like estrogen. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, don’t use black tea.

High blood pressure: The caffeine in black tea might increase blood pressure in people with high blood pressure. However, this doesn't seem to occur in people who drink black tea or other caffeinated products regularly.

Brittle bones (osteoporosis): Drinking caffeinated black tea can increase the amount of calcium that is flushed out in the urine. This might weaken bones. Don’t drink more than 300 mg of caffeine per day (approximately 2-3 cups of black tea). Taking extra calcium may help to make up for calcium losses. Older women who have a genetic condition that affects the way they use vitamin D, should use caffeine with caution.

Ireland drinks a ridiculous amount of tea per capita. We should raise the taxes on tea for etc etc rabble rabble

drumswan wrote: »
    Heres the list of side effects from Tea, as listed on webmd.com

Black tea is safe for most adults. Too much black tea, such as more than five cups per day, can cause side effects because of the caffeine. These side effects can range from mild to serious and include headache, nervousness, sleep problems, vomiting, diarrhea, irritability, irregular heartbeat, tremor, heartburn, dizziness, ringing in the ears, convulsions, and confusion.

People who drink black tea or other caffeinated beverages all the time, especially in large amounts, can develop psychological dependence.

Caffeine is PROBABLY SAFE in children in amounts commonly found in foods.
    Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, black tea in small amounts is probably not harmful. Do not drink more than 2 cups a day of black tea. This amount of tea provides about 200 mg of caffeine. Consuming more than this amount during pregnancy has been linked to an increased risk of miscarriage and other negative effects, including symptoms of caffeine withdrawal in newborns and lower birth weight.

If you are breast-feeding, drinking more than 2 cups a day of black tea might cause your baby to become more irritable and have more bowel movements.

Anemia: Drinking black tea may make anemia worse in people with iron deficiency.

Anxiety disorders: The caffeine in black tea might make these conditions worse.

Bleeding disorders: There is some reason to believe that the caffeine in black tea might slow blood clotting, though this hasn’t been shown in people. Use caffeine cautiously if you have a bleeding disorder.

Heart problems: Caffeine in black tea can cause irregular heartbeat in certain people. If you have a heart condition, use caffeine with caution.

Diabetes: The caffeine in black tea might affect blood sugar. Use black tea with caution if you have diabetes.

Diarrhea: Black tea contains caffeine. The caffeine in black tea, especially when taken in large amounts, can worsen diarrhea.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Black tea contains caffeine. The caffeine in black tea, especially when taken in large amounts, can worsen diarrhea and might worsen symptoms of IBS.

Glaucoma: Drinking caffeinated black tea increases the pressure inside the eye. The increase occurs within 30 minutes and lasts for at least 90 minutes.

Hormone-sensitive condition such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Black tea might act like estrogen. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, don’t use black tea.

High blood pressure: The caffeine in black tea might increase blood pressure in people with high blood pressure. However, this doesn't seem to occur in people who drink black tea or other caffeinated products regularly.

Brittle bones (osteoporosis): Drinking caffeinated black tea can increase the amount of calcium that is flushed out in the urine. This might weaken bones. Don’t drink more than 300 mg of caffeine per day (approximately 2-3 cups of black tea). Taking extra calcium may help to make up for calcium losses. Older women who have a genetic condition that affects the way they use vitamin D, should use caffeine with caution.

Ireland drinks a ridiculous amount of tea per capita. We should raise the taxes on tea for etc etc rabble rabble

Japan drinks lots of tea. They must not know all the harmful effects. Maybe that is why they live so long. Its time to get them on the beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

3 pints isn't binging.

I'd say 5+ pints is a binge though, even if it doesn't tally with Irish habits.

Tarzana wrote: »
    3 pints isn't binging.

I'd say 5+ pints is a binge though, even if it doesn't tally with Irish habits.

Of course 3 pints is a binge. Different if you drink them over the course of 4-5 hours with food. 3 pints is 6 bottlers of beer approx.

The problem with most Irish drinkers.. they don't see drinking 3 pints as a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Of course 3 pints is a binge. Different if you drink them over the course of 4-5 hours with food. 3 pints is 6 bottlers of beer approx.

The problem with most Irish drinkers.. they don't see drinking 3 pints as a problem.

Neither would most people from any other country, It's about peoples perception not an actual medical diagnosis of a binge. Most stuff people do is not good for them. Sick and tired of people trying to stick us back in the 1800s with the sure we drink way more than anyone else. That's been proven for a very long time not to be true at all. And when you point this out you get.... Were talking about Ireland not another country we drink to much. Which is total nonsense. It’s just like anything else, can I have fun after a long week in work, NO it’s bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snaphook wrote: »
    Alcohol, the only drug in the world you have to justify saying no to.
    And does it confuse you why this is the case? Makes perfect sense to me, there are very few legally available & widely used mind-altering psychoactive drugs. Caffeine is probably the most popular psychoactive drug, next booze, next smokes.

Now if for all these years alcohol was illegal and cannabis had been the legal and widely used recreational drug for centuries -mammy, your granny, the local doctor & the local garda all toking up -then I would similarly expect non-users to be questioned why they do not use this widely used recreational drug. Most people do have some appetite for experiencing altered states of consciousness, and people will be inquisitive as to why someone would not take the popular drug, perhaps wondering if they have some alternative or some reason they have a very low appetite for it. Its not really asking them to justify it, just a simple curiosity. If someone told me they ate no chocolate or sweets of any form I would be interested why -since similarly most people have an appetite for such things, or if someone said they were 100% celibate, including masturbation, people might wonder why.
    jebuz wrote: »
    Binge drinking has been normalised in this country to the extent that 3 pints is considered nowhere near a binge, based on some of the replies here anyway.
    "this country"? are you taking the piss?

I imagine if you went around the world and asked how many pints were considered a binge that the average would be above 3.

Binge drinking 3 pints has always been a normalised amount to drink so in this country to the extent that 3 pints is considered nowhere near a binge
    But think about it, 3 pints is just over 1700ml of beer, that's quite a lot, the equivalent of 5 cans of coke in fact. If somebody drank 5 cans of coke in one sitting, would you not call it a binge?
    5 cans of coke has far more sugar in it. I have seen people drink a 3pints of coke or Miwadi while watching a match down the pub and was not overly concerned. It is a more unusual amount to drink of coke though, while 3 pints of beer is very common, so in that way I would say 3 pints of coke is a more excessive than normal amount. This subject of binge drinking came up before and I was saying I imagine a huge amount of our politicians are binge drinking in the dail bar -now you can say that for shock tactic for a newspaper headline, but when you hear its 3 pints it loses all effect.

In the indo yesterday it had some stat like 58% of people here thought they were moderate drinkers, and that 50% of them turned out to be binge drinking "without realising it" as though there was surprise. I have no doubt they were not told the definition of "binge drinking" beforehand, otherwise I doubt there would be any surprise about being labelled binge drinkers, only surprise about how low the definition is, which is in contrast to what most consider a binge drinking session to be.

It has diluted down the term, backfiring on them, instead of people going "christ, I'm binge drinking here" they are going "christ, what stupid cunt came up with that definition, I wonder what they call what I consider binge drinking".

The same has happened with the term "obese", people get hugely upset at being labelled obese, as they have in mind lads on discovery having to go to hospital on a flat bed truck, when in reality it doesn't take much extra fat to be deemed obese.

The WHO could come out and say eating 50g or more of chocolate in 1 sitting is binge eating junk food. And you could similarly then say
    Binge eating junk food has been normalised in this country to the extent that a 57g bounty bar is considered nowhere near a binge, based on some of the replies here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

the present mrs flutered not only detests alcahol, she actually despises it as well, hates the smell of it even, she says this is $chite baloney, (well she uses an coulpe of differen words).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

three pints is just over 4 bottles

You would want to be at 8 pints+ to consider it a binge imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Of course 3 pints is a binge.
    So if it is so obviously a binge when do YOU think the cutoff point is? do you consider 2 pints in a row to be a binge drinking session? maybe 1?
    3 pints is 6 bottlers of beer approx.
    6 half pint bottles would be 3 pints, not sure if you are trying to wow us with your mathematical skills here or something, or wow us with your ignorance about what a typical bottle size is.

Another singling out of Irish people. Many will know its not healthy, but would still not call it binge drinking. I wonder if they will come out with new phrases like they did for obesity, like "super binge drinker", or "hyper super binge drinker". -seeing as "binge drinker" will lose any negative connotations it ever had if this definition takes hold.

Its like they want to use a known term and scare people with it, but as I said this could well backfire on them. A similar "new definition" of a well understood term which backfired on them was the notion of a "standard drink". When I was growing up as a kid even then I knew a standard size of a drink was a pint or a 500ml can. So did they base recommendations to call a standard drink this? no, they say a half pint is a standard drink. This has backfired on them due to the unintended consequence of many people presuming a standard drink is a pint, and therefore thinking they are well within their limits. I have seen numerous TV programs where they interview people on the street and many think a pint is a "standard drink", some do think a half pint is, but I have never once seen someone underestimate and say a quarter pint or something.

When the people are told a standard drink is a half pint, the real surprise appears to be them wondering who the fuck thought that was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

I had a few Swedish friends over this weekend, they were pretty appalled by the state of a local town at 1:30am last Saturday night, everyone falling around the place and fights breaking out left right and centre. They told me they never witness this when they go out on a weekend,

Don't believe you. Don't believe you.

If you'd said Swiss or Italian, maybe. But Swedes? They're worse binge drinkers than we are.

They'd probably admit to it too.

Madd Finn wrote: »

If you'd said Swiss or Italian, maybe. But Swedes? They're worse binge drinkers than we are.

I know plenty of Italians and they don't shy away from a feed of pints either.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

You'd nearly be fooled into thinking that all these counties mentioned have a diverse range of citizens with widely varying values and social habits, rather than a homogeneous population who all have the same attitude towards alcohol.

You would want to be at 8 pints+ to consider it a binge imo.

8 pints.. is beyond a binge 14 bottlers of 330ml beer. Anyone who drinks 8 pints a during a night out is an alcoholic.

if you drink more that 4 standard drinks in a single night then you are considered an alcoholic.

If course if it ONLY happens once or twice a year.. ok. But too many go out on a Friday/Saturday and come home drunk. That is alcoholism.

8 pints.. is beyond a binge 14 bottlers of 330ml beer. Anyone who drinks 8 pints a during a night out is an alcoholic.

if you drink more that 4 standard drinks in a single night then you are considered an alcoholic.

If course if it ONLY happens once or twice a year.. ok. But too many go out on a Friday/Saturday and come home drunk. That is alcoholism.

No it's not.

I know plenty of Italians and they don't shy away from a feed of pints either.

I know very few Italians who are alcoholics. However there are alcoholics everywhere.

The Italians I know do drink, but its limited to 2 glasses of wine + one 330ml of beer. That would be all they would drink during a meal. With lots of water. Italians rarely drink for the sack of just drinking. In Ireland they have the Guinness, maybe 2.. I have yet to see an Italian go beyond 2.

Alcohol is generally something you have with food in Italy.

No it's not.

Having 8 pints a night on a regular basis makes you an Alcoholic. If you don't think so you are deluded.

Having 8 pints a night on a regular basis makes you an Alcoholic. If you don't think so you are deluded.

Saying the same thing more than once doesn't actually have any effect on its accuracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Madd Finn wrote: »

I once went out with a Swedish girl and her parents took a weird dislike to me. I put this down to me being an asshole, turns out they didn't trust me because i didn't drink with a meal, whereas their family would polish off 2-3 bottles of wine between 4 of them. Went to a Sunday BBQ once, it should have been sponsored by Jameson.

Advertisement