Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More alcohol nonsense

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

Saying the same thing more than once doesn't actually have any effect on its accuracy.

Look.. My Father was an alcoholic all his life, Spent any money he had on drink. He worked find mon to fri.. But was no father weekends.

Alcoholics NEVER see their drinking as a problem. 8 Pints a night is a problem. Alcoholics just hide behind excuses they make like:-

1. All my mates drink the same, so it must be fine.
    2. I can stop drinking when I like and still be fine.
    3. I feel fine the next day.
    4. I can take drink better than others.

Its only when health or marriage fails that it all falls apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

mezuzaj wrote: »
    .....................Italians rarely drink for the sack of just drinking. In Ireland they have the Guinness, maybe 2.. I have yet to see an Italian go beyond 2.

Alcohol is generally something you have with food in Italy.

From your sample size of how many thousand ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

8 pints.. is beyond a binge 14 bottlers of 330ml beer. Anyone who drinks 8 pints a during a night out is an alcoholic.

if you drink more that 4 standard drinks in a single night then you are considered an alcoholic.

If course if it ONLY happens once or twice a year.. ok. But too many go out on a Friday/Saturday and come home drunk. That is alcoholism.

There is so much wrong with your post, Alcoholism is not about the quantity of drink you take, In short, an alcoholic is a person who suffers from the disease of alcoholism. In other words, the body has become dependent on alcohol. Becoming an alcoholic is not something that happens overnight. Instead, it can take many years to grow into a serious problem as I should know as I am an alcoholic albeit over five years free.

Look.. My Father was an alcoholic all his life, Spent any money he had on drink. He worked find mon to fri.. But was no father weekends.

Alcoholics NEVER see their drinking as a problem. 8 Pints a night is a problem. Alcoholics just hide behind excuses they make like:-

1. All my mates drink the same, so it must be fine.
    2. I can stop drinking when I like and still be fine.
    3. I feel fine the next day.
    4. I can take drink better than others.

In your last 3 posts you've gone from 8 pints in one night, to 8 pints regularly to 8 pints a night.

realies wrote: »
    There is so much wrong with your post, Alcoholism is not about the quantity of drink you take, In short, an alcoholic is a person who suffers from the disease of alcoholism. In other words, the body has become dependent on alcohol. Becoming an alcoholic is not something that happens overnight. Instead, it can take many years to grow into a serious problem as I should know as I am an alcoholic albeit over five years free.

So drinking 8 pints on a night out every weekend is not alcoholism?

• Advertisement

Occassionally they may be drinking to kill themselves or split up

Both are kinda inhibited by alternative means if yer religious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

No not in my opinion, it might be abusive drinking and not good for you, and might do you harm,but that does not make you an alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No, If you were a true alcoholic you wouldn't last till the weekend and you wouldn't stop at 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know a couple that have been drinking since their teens, now they are almost 50. They go out 3 nights a week to the pub and both of them drink pints and plenty of them they also have drink at home during the week. I wouldn't like to see the state of their livers. The wife is also a heavy smoker. They think that it's perfectly normal and wouldn't classify themselves as alcoholics :( If they ever had to do without alcohol they would have withdrawal symptoms.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    No, If you were a true alcoholic you wouldn't last till the weekend and you wouldn't stop at 8.

When the drink or money runs out there is no choice.. Ive seen how alcoholics live. Also once you have passed out you tend to stop.

• Advertisement

When the drink or money runs out there is no choice.. Ive seen how alcoholics live. Also once you have passed out you tend to stop.

But we're not talking about that. we're talking about people who go out on Saturday and get drunk. That's not alcoholism. Neither is having 3 pints in one sitting. You're hatred of alcohol won't change that.

jebuz wrote: »
    Binge drinking has been normalised in this country to the extent that 3 pints is considered nowhere near a binge, based on some of the replies here anyway.

But think about it, 3 pints is just over 1700ml of beer, that's quite a lot, the equivalent of 5 cans of coke in fact. If somebody drank 5 cans of coke in one sitting, would you not call it a binge? We continue putting our fingers in our ears and drinking ourselves to oblivion most weekends, but sure everyone's doing it, it's right craic let's laugh it off. These figures are scary but you don't even need figures, just look at any town on a Saturday night and you'll see the problem is as bad as ever.

Exactly the point was trying to make.

But we're not talking about that. we're talking about people who go out on Saturday and get drunk. That's not alcoholism. Neither is having 3 pints in one sitting. You're hatred of alcohol won't change that.

Don't hate it. Have A drink is not the problem.

Have you been to A&e on a friday/saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Most Northern European countries consume a good deal of beer (but Italians going mad for a big drinking session? Not likely!) but that doesn't mean we don't have a major problem with alcohol in this country.

Look at how we drink.
    We drink for the sake of drinking. We go for drinking sessions: in other places, apart from particular festivals, they go out with their friends to have a good time, and complement that with some beers and food.
    We don't eat as we drink, so we get hammered and end up annoying people in the streets and clogging up A & E departments.
    Many of us drink to better express ourselves, leading to chatty people, but also often very aggressive behaviour. I've seen very drunk people of many European nationalities, and there's an aggression that often goes with drinking here and in the UK that I don't see elsewhere.

For a lot of Irish people drinking isn't a big aspect of their social lives, it is their social lives.
    If that's how you like to pass your time that's fine, but don't pretend it's harmless and that it's the same as everywhere else.
    Even if our drinking habits were universal, it wouldn't make them ok.

You are speaking like the health service is some magical place

They paid out about 80 million euro compensation last year

That's about a million and a half every week

That's a lot of f*ck ups

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

no thats a habit unless he gets the DT's without alcohol its not alcoholism.

Most Northern European countries consume a good deal of beer (but Italians going mad for a big drinking session? Not likely!) but that doesn't mean we don't have a major problem with alcohol in this country.

Look at how we drink.
    We drink for the sake of drinking. We go for drinking sessions: in other places, apart from particular festivals, they go out with their friends to have a good time, and complement that with some beers and food.
    We don't eat as we drink, so we get hammered and end up annoying people in the streets and clogging up A & E departments.
    Many of us drink to better express ourselves, leading to chatty people, but also often very aggressive behaviour. I've seen very drunk people of many European nationalities, and there's an aggression that often goes with drinking here and in the UK that I don't see elsewhere.

For a lot of Irish people drinking isn't a big aspect of their social lives, it is their social lives.
    If that's how you like to pass your time that's fine, but don't pretend it's harmless and that it's the same as everywhere else.

Well said.

Don't hate it. Have A drink is not the problem.
    But 3 is? So 2 is the magic number in your eyes.
    Couple of times, How many of those people do you think only had 3?

But 3 is? So 2 is the magic number in your eyes.

Couple of times, How many of those people do you think only had 3?

The World Health Organisation has defined binge drinking as drinking six or more standard drinks (about 3 pints of beer) during one drinking occasion.

8 pints.. is beyond a binge 14 bottlers of 330ml beer. Anyone who drinks 8 pints a during a night out is an alcoholic.

if you drink more that 4 standard drinks in a single night then you are considered an alcoholic.

If course if it ONLY happens once or twice a year.. ok. But too many go out on a Friday/Saturday and come home drunk. That is alcoholism.

Absolute and utter nonsense. A good skip of drink of a weekend does not make someone an alcoholic, not even close.
    I know very few Italians who are alcoholics. However there are alcoholics everywhere.

The Italians I know do drink, but its limited to 2 glasses of wine + one 330ml of beer. That would be all they would drink during a meal. With lots of water. Italians rarely drink for the sack of just drinking. In Ireland they have the Guinness, maybe 2.. I have yet to see an Italian go beyond 2.

Alcohol is generally something you have with food in Italy.

I'm extremely good friends with two Italians and regularly we would have 10 pints and have been known to drink up on 15 or 16 pints on occasion. Regularly we have big sessions of spirits, they have come on 4 day drinking weekends with the rest of us no problem and regularly talk about the large amount of drinking that is done in Italy.

I've met loads of their friends over the years when they visit Ireland and any time they visit the weekend are massive sessions, as much as any group of Irish lads would have.

• Advertisement

The World Health Organisation has defined binge drinking as drinking six or more standard drinks (about 3 pints of beer) during one drinking occasion.

And you agree with this, which is fine. But most responsible adults can drink 3 pints in one sitting without it adversely affecting their lifes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Look at how we drink.

Except it fuccking is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Except it fuccking is.

It's not though.

It's not though.

It is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Of course 3 pints is a binge.
    rubadub wrote: »
    when do YOU think the cutoff point is? do you consider 2 pints in a row to be a binge drinking session? maybe 1?

If course if it ONLY happens once or twice a year.. ok.
    So you are saying drinking 2 pints in a night makes you an alcoholic, so I guess you do consider this binge drinking?

Or is it only if you drink 2 pints in one night at least 3 times during the year you are an alcoholic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Shamelessly copied from Roddy Doyle :
    -Three pints.
    -One'll do me.
    -No. Three pints is a binge.
    -Says who?
    -Heard it on the radio. Some ****in' survey, or somethin'.
    -That's ****in' mad. I'd need three pints before I decide whether to go on a ****in' binge or not.
    -I worked it out earlier. I've been on a ****in’ binge since 1975. Three pints, two or three times a month, constitutes harmful drinkin'.
    -So - wha'? You've been drinkin' yourself to death for nearly forty years?
    -Apparently.
    -Well, you're not very ****in' good at it, are yeh? Yeh look grand.
    -Thanks. I'll tell yeh wha' the problem is. An' it's not the drinkin'.
    -Wha'?
    -The drinkin's grand. I did me own survey an' most Irish people are happy enough with the amount they drink.
    -How many did yeh talk to?
    -Just the one.
    -Fair enough.
    -The problem is, the ****ers - the doctors - tha' do these surveys. They haven't a ****in' clue what a good binge is. They've no righ' to use the word.
    -It's ours.
    -Exactly. So they can **** off. Three pints in a row isn't a national crisis. It's a ****in' necessity. It's probably the only thing tha' stops us from bein' Swiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

My 2c. Just my opinion.

Alcohol is addictive. Extremely so. It's the euphoric effect that does it for me.
    I have tried to do the whole "I'll just have one" but there is no such thing as one.

There is no such thing as alcoholism.
    But there is definitely alcohol addiction.

"Alcoholism" is a bull**** made up term by seriously addicted drinkers.
    It justifies their drinking in essence. It's even labelled a disease.

"I have a disease, it's genetic, etc etc"

There is certainly a spectrum of alcohol addiction. From those who need to have a glass of vino every night to the down and outs on Skid Row.

This is where the term Alcoholic comes in handy. It justifies the addiction.
    People will say "Ah but I only have a few pints at the weekend (read: 8 pints and absolutely pissed) and nothing during the week."

They're not alcoholics because they aren't down and out and it normalises their drinking because of that.

If someone said "Ah but I only have a few cans of Fanta at the weekend but none during the week" would this imply that they have a normal pattern of drinking Fanta?

If you regularly binge and go on "epic sessions" fair enough. Whatever makes people happy, but suggesting you arguing that you are not addicted to the stuff is BS.

tl:dr?

Alcohol is extremely addictive. Everyone is different, alcohol affects everyone differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

snaphook wrote: »
    My 2c. Just my opinion.

Alcohol is addictive. Extremely so. It's the euphoric effect that does it for me.
    I have tried to do the whole "I'll just have one" but there is no such thing as one.

There is no such thing as alcoholism.
    But there is definitely alcohol addiction.

"Alcoholism" is a bull**** made up term by seriously addicted drinkers.
    It justifies their drinking in essence. It's even labelled a disease.

"I have a disease, it's genetic, etc etc"

There is certainly a spectrum of alcohol addiction. From those who need to have a glass of vino every night to the down and outs on Skid Row.

This is where the term Alcoholic comes in handy. It justifies the addiction.
    People will say "Ah but I only have a few pints at the weekend (read: 8 pints and absolutely pissed) and nothing during the week."

They're not alcoholics because they aren't down and out and it normalises their drinking because of that.

If someone said "Ah but I only have a few cans of Fanta at the weekend but none during the week" would this imply that they have a normal pattern of drinking Fanta?

If you regularly binge and go on "epic sessions" fair enough. Whatever makes people happy, but suggesting you arguing that you are not addicted to the stuff is BS.
    By this definition I am addicted to hoovering because I do it every Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't touch a drink Monday to Thursday.

On Friday i meet a friend for 5 or 6 drinks have a laugh and a few games of snooker. Don't get to see him much and we used to play snooker when younger and enjoy a game.

On Sunday i got for 5 or 6 with the girlfriend get tipsy and have a laugh. She works hard and likes to get out and relax once a week.

Then i know people who can't leave the house without having a drink in the morning. They drink everyday of the week.

So going by mezuzag logic we are both the same we are both alcoholic's which is just a bizzare logic. Having a few sociable drinks once or twice a week doesn't make you an alcoholic. SAying otherwise is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

When you can't really win the argument bring in the " But the WHO says it is" they say a lot of stuff. As a human society we all drink about the same. Do we drink to much as a human society ? Probably. But going around with a medical term trying to convince other people they are alcoholics is nonsense tbh. Seems people want other people to be a good little worker bee and have no fun. If we could curtail everyone's bad habits to save money in the health service, As someone has already said that would just move the problem into later life. More people old and sick for a long time.

I think this Fascist anti drink crowd should go jump and TBH stop trying to portray us to the rest of the world as a stereo type that has not existed for a very long time. I like them, if I wanted to could get figures for every country and twist them to make out every country on Earth has a serious alcohol problem. But then they will just fall back on “Were talking about Ireland”. And that argument fails tbh as their trying to use a medical term, Not a society at large term that in every other society would pretty much be the same. Every society knows what is to much, But does not stop them drinking. I wonder have other EU states got this self loathing attitude towards drinking. Or do they say “ Yeah you probably should cut back a little” and not run around the streets calling everyone Alcoholics.

TLDR: Running around using a medical term to say everyone is an alcoholic is nonsense.

Advertisement