Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prize Bonds

Options
  • 23-06-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of money advice ….

I recently received a bit of back pay in my wages and after I’vepaid my Credit card I have about €1000 left … I know if I leave this in mycurrent account It’ll be gone before I know it so I’m looking for options. I want to put it in an account that I can getto if I absolutely have to if I need it but not an account that I can transfer easily if I’m getting close to my OD limit !!! I was thinking about a post office deposit account…. Then I saw the prize bonds. Would anyone recommend these as a method of saving ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Yea why not. Interest on savings in deposit accounts is so low at the moment that it's all the one whether you have the money in a current account, deposit account, credit union or post office.
    It's still state guaranteed.

One thing to note is you must hold them for 3 months before you're allowed to cash them in.

Also, if you have any debt whatsoever (car loan, store cards, etc) pay off the debt first before buying prizebonds or "saving".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Have a look at this thread. Some tremendous analysis has been carried out on the efficacy of prize bonds as a means of saving and making a meaningful return on an investment in them:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=182819&highlight=prize+bonds

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Hmmmmm ... Might be better in a deposit a\c

Advertisement