Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone work for Phonewatch or know someone who is?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

I have an interview with Phonewatch tomorrow and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it's like to work for them?

It's a commission based job with no basic but I've been told the average is 400 - 600 euro a week then people who are good at it can get up to 1600 if they really push for it.

Any information at all would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you going to be selling or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Niall558 wrote: »
    I have an interview with Phonewatch tomorrow and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it's like to work for them?

It's a commission based job with no basic but I've been told the average is 400 - 600 euro a week then people who are good at it can get up to 1600 if they really push for it.

Any information at all would be great.
    Thanks

If you know nothing about alarms you will fit in perfect. Most of the sales don't. Saves them having to give an honest answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Niall558

KoolKid wrote: »
    Are you going to be selling or what?

Selling over the phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

altor wrote: »
    If you know nothing about alarms you will fit in perfect. Most of the sales don't. Saves them having to give an honest answer.

Excellent post.

altor wrote: »

Anymore information about them?

• Advertisement

They are more of a marketing company than a security company, so if your own area is sales you will do well.

kub wrote: »
    They are more of a marketing company than a security company, so if your own area is sales you will do well.

I've 2 years in retail/catering.
    This will be my first sales job if I get it

I've 2 years in retail/catering.
    This will be my first sales job if I get it

Well from the point of view of advising you with sales, I am useless at that as I have a technical background.
    All I can do is wish you all the best with it and I have a hunch that if you do get it you will begin to dislike these threads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I really disagree with security advice being target motivated with commission only sales.
    How much do you know about doing risk assessment surveys to determine securiry grades or system design proposals to ensure adequate security for your customer?

KoolKid wrote: »
    I really disagree with security advice being target motivated with commission only sales.
    How much do you know about doing risk assessment surveys to determine securiry grades or system design proposals to ensure adequate security for your customer?

I know that in our world this is essential but am not sure about being necessary in the place that PW operate.

• Advertisement

With a sales driven attitude you can make money selling alarms for them.
    I use to install systems for them and most times you had what you needed in the packs provided by them. Other times systems were not explained correctly to customers so they did not know what they were getting till explained by an installer. Trap packs and perimeter protection provide a big difference in security of a premises. As it stands P.W. do not provide perimeter protection by means of shock sensors on a window. They do contacts but this is no way to protect an perimeter window. This is a big draw back when selling a system but then again if an end user knows nothing they will happily sign the dotted line.

My advice would be to find out all you need to know about what protection an end user should be getting from an alarm system. When you know this then selling an alarm system will become second nature to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

Phonewatch have got rid of the door to door sales guys they used a company called apco they are going in house adding on 200 sales guys in regional offices I belive they have just opened an office in Kilkenny last few weeks . \but thay are still selling a inferior system at top money and the yearly is now €35 a month or €420 a year so good luck getting that every year of people when average monitoring fee in Ireland in €160-€200

What bugs me is that thanks to PW's marketing machine the Irish public think that PW are a better organisation than the rest of us out there doing things by the book and installing reputable systems that can be serviced by our competitors should we ever let them down.
    Of course the Irish public is unaware that the product as currently been offered by them cannot be worked on anyone else other than them therefore they are snookered, especially when after a period of time they start calculating exactly how much that great offer really costs them and what pitiful protection it offers.

They use to pull that with most people but people now know they are not the only ones who can service, maintain and monitor their systems. The newer system with the monitored cameras just needs a monitoring station with a receiver to take the pictures. That won't be far away since most stations offer this service for other systems :)

Advertisement