Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BYOB

Options
  • 23-06-2014 5:44pm
    Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey,

I was just wondering if there are many bring your own booze restaurants in Dublin these days?

I've been living in London and there are plenty of them there. It makes such a difference price wise and makes the whole experience more fun!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Cooking & Recipes.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dog House in Howth last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Place behind Slattery's in Rathmines, Lebanese.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Canter's Tandoori in Fairview Strand allow your own booze, with a small corkage charge.
    Well worth it for the chance to snaffle their lovely nosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

The Vintage Kitchen are BYOB and no corkage fee if I remember correctly. Amazing little restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Azteca on Lord Edward Street was byob the last time I was there. Great little place.

• Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭Cerveja69

Pang wrote: »
    The Vintage Kitchen are BYOB and no corkage fee if I remember correctly. Amazing little restaurant.

Wow, just googled imaged this and it looks great!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Recent thread on B/W/S here. On Sundrive Road D12, both Café Monto (vaguely Italian) and Kabul Kitchen (Afghani) are BYOB.

Thanks for the replies, glad to see that there's a good few to chose from.

Does anyone know the legalities for BYO places re licencing etc?

Also, can you just rock up with a bag of cans or does it have to be wine? I was living in London until recently and me and my bf would often go to Brick Lane with bottles of beers. Alot of people would be drinking cans of stella! I think I'd feel a bit weird doing that in Dublin though for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Royal Tandoori in Terenure is another one. I have seen people there with cans

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Zakura on Wexford Street is BYOB... good sushi too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The only BYOB I know for sure doesn't allow beer is Musashi on Capel Street, which is a pure shame because I don't much like wine with sushi. One thing you need to watch out for with BYOB(eer) is that the corkage charge can be per bottle, so it can add up. I can't recall seeing anyone drinking cans of beer in a BYOB place before, but whether that's because it isn't allowed or it's because cans might be perceived as lowering the tone a little I'm not sure.

Other BYOBs I've been to are Rotana Cafe in Portobello, Keshk Cafe in Donnybrook and just off Baggot Street & Damascus Gate on Camden Street. Which are all Lebanese places, come to think of it.

The only BYOB I know for sure doesn't allow beer is Musashi on Capel Street, which is a pure shame because I don't much like wine with sushi. One thing you need to watch out for with BYOB(eer) is that the corkage charge can be per bottle, so it can add up. I can't recall seeing anyone drinking cans of beer in a BYOB place before, but whether that's because it isn't allowed or it's because cans might be perceived as lowering the tone a little I'm not sure.

Other BYOBs I've been to are Rotana Cafe in Portobello, Keshk Cafe in Donnybrook and just off Baggot Street & Damascus Gate on Camden Street. Which are all Lebanese places, come to think of it.

Yeah, paying corkage per bottle defeats the purpose of a BYO in my opinion. I think you should be allowed to drink whatever you like too although cans of beer admittedly would lower the tone slightly. I know a few girls in London who used to bring bottles of rum!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Cerveja69 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the legalities for BYO places re licencing etc?
    Pretty sure there aren't any. Anywhere can be BYOB, no licence required. The only oddity is Good Friday and Christmas Day: places with a licence may not allow drink to be consumed, including BYOB, whereas those with no licence at all can have customers bringing their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cerveja69 wrote: »
    Yeah, paying corkage per bottle defeats the purpose of a BYO in my opinion. I think you should be allowed to drink whatever you like too although cans of beer admittedly would lower the tone slightly. I know a few girls in London who used to bring bottles of rum!

If a place is already selling beer/wine, I think it's fair enough to pay corkage if I'm bringing my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Can you recommend a BYO restaurant in Dublin City Centre? the Vintage Kitchen is booked out and looking for replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Musashi on Capel street but they charge 6 euro per bottle AFAIK

Keshk Cafe and Aladdins Cave on the Baggot/Leeson street area (if not to far from city center)

The Lebanese place on Dame street might be but I am not sure about on weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Gallahers on D'Olier Street

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

http://www.alladins.ie/
    Very small place, but the food is great. No corkage, and will put your beer / wine in the fridge as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Rotana Cafe is a good choice if you like Middle Eastern food.
    Despite the name, it's a proper restaurant.
    BYOB, no corkage - and lovely baklava!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

The Vintage Kitchen. It's BYOB and the food is extremely good. The fact that it's €25 for two courses makes it a remarkable spot.

Book well in advance. It's very small and very very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Seagrass in Portobello. No corkage fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

any other recommendations in city centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Rigby's just on Leeson St.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Cafe Bliss on Montague Street (between Harcourt Street and Camden Street).

Simple but tasty food, very cheap (early bird 2 courses is €10, but even a la carte isn't much more expensive) and free corkage. You can bring beers in as well as wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Dada http://www.dadarestaurant.ie/ is byob. Have never been myself but a colleague was there last week and raved about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Rigby's just on Leeson St.

That's now closed, pity as I never got to go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pobb

Cafe Bliss on Montague Street (between Harcourt Street and Camden Street).

Simple but tasty food, very cheap (early bird 2 courses is €10, but even a la carte isn't much more expensive) and free corkage. You can bring beers in as well as wine.

They had a sign up the other day saying the they were limiting it to wine now. There was a big group of pissed lads in there singing a few days beforehand so I'd imagine that had something to do with it.

Advertisement