Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value engagement ring home/abroad

Options
  • 23-06-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Deciding where to buy an engagement ring. Unsure whether to buy here or does it make sense to get a better quality ring for cheaper in Dubai/USA/turkey. Anyone had any experience or hints.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

With diamonds, it's better to buy from someone reputable than to focus on the lowest price. Also, you can buy the diamond and the setting separately, depending on what the seller has to offer.

I bought the diamond first, then my wife came up with the design for the ring and we had it custom made. It wasn't much more than an off-the-shelf ring, but it's unique.

I found this guy a few years back and found him a pleasure to deal with - http://titan.websitewelcome.com/~gemsby/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=59

If you really know your stuff, you can shop around the diamond district in NYC and buy something at a good price. I would never do that myself, because there are too many variables that I'm not that well versed in. I know the 4 Cs - color, cut, clarity and carat weight, but I wouldn't have a clue when it comes to knowing whether I was getting ripped off or not.

Blue Nile is a decent place to buy too. They've been around quite a while and have a good rep - http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings?track=NavDrawEng

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Buy used if you can and it is far more affordable. The markup in jewellers is several hundred percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

My advice would be to go to reputable jewellers in Ireland. You won't save much in the long run going abroad. Think of the cost of going abroad and add that to the slightly cheaper diamond and you probably won't save. Also, you will have a jeweller for repairs or if anything happened to the ring such as losing a stone early on. Most jewellers will replace free of charge if it wasn't your fault.
    Blue nile are good but you are buying a ring and diamond purely based on seeing them online.

Advertisement