Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laya renewal quote

Options
  • 23-06-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Right, so you can guess the level of my astonishment, when I received a quote for renewal of Laya Healthsmart policy for two adults and two children for.. wait for it......Eu 5, 600. approx, I kid you not.

Same policy last year cost us less than half that amount. Now, my husband has unfortunately been diagnosed with prostate cancer and has had a biopsy, and some scans, etc.

I queried them as to whether the 100% increase was because of his claims, and was told that if he had no claims or several claims, the renewal quote would be the same.

This seems off the wall, and I think they are hoping to fob us off to another provider of PHI, even though they are saying this is the same, whether we have claimed or not.

Thoughts, anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Can you price the same policy online yourself as a 'new' customer to see if there's a difference? With that price it does seem like you are being penalised in some way really.

If your husband has to make a lot of claims then switching to a lower policy with an excess to be paid each time may make no sense, but do shop around and even consult a broker. There are hundreds and hundreds of policies out there and little-known ones like Aviva/VHI Nurses and Teachers (no requirement to be either profession) can be good value. Glo Health are good I think but all but the top plan have excesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I queried them as to whether the 100% increase was because of his claims, and was told that if he had no claims or several claims, the renewal quote would be the same.
    The health insurance system applying in Ireland is called community rating. In a community rated system everyone pays the same premium for a given health insurance plan, except as follows:

The premium for children must be no more than 50% of the adult premium.

The premium for full-time dependent students under the age of 23 may be reduced. The reduced premium must not be more than 50% of the adult premium.

The premium may be reduced by up to 10% for members of group schemes.

Pensioners who are members of restricted membership insurers may have their premiums reduced.

Source: Health Insurance Authority

If you visit that site and compare price plans you'll get an opportunity to compare plans with other providers (and indeed your own insurer's other plans) to see if better value plans are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Policies with higher levels of cover have rocketed in price recently. Prices are community rated by law, they cannot and do not change regardless of claim history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ask Laya to quote you for alternative policies, my quote was almost double this year but when I asked them for quotes for other policies I ended up getting very close to the same cover (and better in some areas) for around what I was paying last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Remember if changing insurer that there may be a qualifying period that you have to serve before you are eligible to avail of cover with the new company. It is usually two years. This will be a significant consideration if a member of your family is currently ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

tallpaul wrote: »
    Remember if changing insurer that there may be a qualifying period that you have to serve before you are eligible to avail of cover with the new company. It is usually two years. This will be a significant consideration if a member of your family is currently ill.

this is absolutely incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

LostArt wrote: »
    this is absolutely incorrect.

I think the poster is talking about switching with an existing condition.
    If they are, then that is absolutely correct.

dobsdave wrote: »
    I think the poster is talking about switching with an existing condition.
    If they are, then that is absolutely correct.

No, you can switch with existing conditions without waiting periods. You only have waiting periods when upgrading.

http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/waiting-periods/switching-upgrade-waiting-periods/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

LostArt wrote: »
    You got lucky then, because they have been for a number of years

Just looking back on this thread, you mentioned you could switch with pre existing conditions without waiting period.
    VHI have said otherwise, as do citizens advice

'If you are under 55 years of age, pre-existing conditions will not be covered for up to 5 years by your private health insurer even if your condition was diagnosed after you got private health insurance'

dobsdave wrote: »
    Just looking back on this thread, you mentioned you could switch with pre existing conditions without waiting period.
    VHI have said otherwise, as do citizens advice

'If you are under 55 years of age, pre-existing conditions will not be covered for up to 5 years by your private health insurer even if your condition was diagnosed after you got private health insurance'

you can 100% switch with pre-existing conditions, you have quoted the new customer to health insurance waiting periods.

Advertisement