Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Taper - key sessions?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Day 1 of the taper for me in preparation for IM Frankfurt.

Anyone got any key sessions they like to put in their taper that they would like to share?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Day 1 of the taper for me in preparation for IM Frankfurt.

Anyone got any key sessions they like to put in their taper that they would like to share?

might be the wrong place to ask, some around here are putting the whole training block in the taper...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

my one is sleep as much as i can 2 days before the race and a 30 min run ;-)
    my other favorite session was watching people wasting their enrgy at the expo on saturday while I lie in the grass and watch them ;-)
    even better sitting in a deckchair watching how nervous athletes get when somebody goes for a training session.

at the same time i dodnt really think its about single sessions its more about the overall strategy. ie when to have easy days and when doing hard sessions and at race week the most important thing is to realx as much as you can and sleep especially if one is working till thursday sleep is everything.as travelling to an abraod race on thursday is enough stress for the body as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I like doing a 180k bike and a 30k brick run 3 days out....just to make sure all is ok.:P

The one session i actually like is a week out, 2hr ride with full race setup with some 10-15min intervals at IM pace with the rest easy. The extra free speed you get with the full race setup is good for the confidence and the ease at which you can hold IM pace after a week of taper is always a good feeling and confidence booster.

As mentioned by PK, sleep, i always struggle getting enough sleep a few days out as it usually entails me chasing around getting things finished up in work etc. I always find i am sluggish a day or two after travelling so short and snappy swim,bike or run a day or two out helps to bring the body around.

Glass of wine the night before, also an important ritual of mine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I like doing a 180k bike and a 30k brick run 3 days out....just to make sure all is ok.:P

The one session i actually like is a week out, 2hr ride with full race setup with some 10-15min intervals at IM pace with the rest easy. The extra free speed you get with the full race setup is good for the confidence and the ease at which you can hold IM pace after a week of taper is always a good feeling and confidence booster.

As mentioned by PK, sleep, i always struggle getting enough sleep a few days out as it usually entails me chasing around getting things finished up in work etc. I always find i am sluggish a day or two after travelling so short and snappy swim,bike or run a day or two out helps to bring the body around.

And Prawns. Don't forget the prawns. :p

BTH wrote: »
    And Prawns. Don't forget the prawns. :p

Don't mention prawngate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I d like to see you racing after 1 week holiday. I think it would do wonders for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm going to do a key session tomorrow of
    5x(5 minutes trying to get into wetsuit, 2 minute comfort eating)

peter kern wrote: »
    I d like to see you racing after 1 week holiday. I think it would do wonders for you.

It would no doubt make a difference. I try not to stress over races any more as its counter productive but its always a stressful work week in the lead up trying to get things closed off before heading away for a few days. Not to mention packing, bringing kids to scouts, swim practice and irish dancing, life does not stop just cause Dad is going off to wear lycra for a long weekend and drinking protein shakes:)

Advertisement