Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mt Leinster to Black Rock Mountain

Options
  • 23-06-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wanted to know if this is a doable route?
    http://routebuilder.org/nzz

Does anyone know what the ascent is like from Mt Leinster to Black Rock Mountain and how tough/steep the trail is at parts?

We'll be starting at and returning to Nine Stones car park.

I want to hike about 10-12 km but not too challenging. Needs to be a nice hike. I have done Walk the Line 2014 so still recuperating.

If this is a bad plan, do you have any nice alternatives I could walk?

Thanks
    Ronald

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's fine, there's a well defined track all the way along the ridge from Mt. Leinster to Black Rock Mtn. Going in that direction it's really a descent rather than an ascent, there are two small peaks in between, but nothing of any significance really, and the final climb up Black Rock Mtn. is only 30m or so :) Note that it's a bit muddy between where the road leading up to the mast ends and the start of the track.

I'd suggest you get E-W Mapping's map of the Blackstairs for reference, it is excellent and shows the tracks clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I have the maps from E-W, just not lower than the Lug. So I need to purchase Blackstairs, Mount Leinster & The Barrow Valley. Will get that at 53DN or GO.

But that sounds like a nice hike then. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I've never done that route from the nine stones, I prefer to go to Ballycrystal and go up to Black Rock Mtn and across to Mt Leinster and loop back. (about 13km)

The walk between Blackrock and Mt Leinter is not very steep, gaining the initial altitude to either summit will be the hardest part (although not much). It's basically a long wide ridge, with great views on a clear day.

As Alun said it can be quite muddy in parts, but nothing that can't be skirted around. Before Black Rock you will come across the old stone Turfcutters hut which can provide some shelter from the prevailing winds (which can be quite strong up there at times). The grass outside the hut is keep lovely and short by the sheep and can make a lovely place to sit and chill out in the weather is right

Plus you will probably have the area to yourself.

Hi Ike, cheers.

When you say Before Black Rock you will come across the old stone Turfcutters hut is that from Mt Lstr to BRM or from Ballycr up BRM?

Thanks
    Ron

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's on the ridge between Mt. Leinster and Black Rock mountain, about 500m west of Black Rock Mountain. There's an old turfcutters road that runs from the forest up to it from the Ballycrystal area. It's marked as "Barn" on the E-W map.

• Advertisement

So when I walk from Mt Lstr to BRM I wont pass it? I dont understand, this is the route we will walk, is the hut on that route? http://routebuilder.org/nzz

No worries, I found it guys. 52°37'7.82" -6°44'12.03" Its on my planned route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

My own choice for a route to Mount Leinster is from the Carlow side, at Crannagh. But doing your route up the TV road, you might consider a wee detour on the way up or down to 52.629286,-6.780093 where you can view what I think is more likely the real Nine Stones :)

Advertisement