Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonna NIght again.

Options
  • 23-06-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Was seeming like a relatively quite night but unfortunately we are down one fire appliance after it has it windscreen smashed fro a hail of stones.

I saw the councils were very quick this year to clear debris building for the night and am surprised at the fires around the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Was seeming like a relatively quite night but unfortunately we are down one fire appliance after it has it windscreen smashed fro a hail of stones.

I saw the councils were very quick this year to clear debris building for the night and am surprised at the fires around the place.

Where did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The Northside, you'll hear exactly where in the media in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Trying to figure out do you mean fire truck or ambulance. Either way, if the scumbags have been pelting stones at emergency services... well I hope karma is a heartless and ironic b*tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I could smell smoke at work today, didn't know what it was. Then on the drive home witnessed about 6 bonfires.

Didn't even know this was a thing! (Not from Cork, never came across it at home!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

10480197_10202925219786202_2888383545499894060_n.jpg

People out by me taking advantage of the day that's in it burning toxic sh1t, must be saving it all year for tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

If it is a tradition, it could be handled better.

I mean, wheelie bins and all? come on..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I could smell smoke at work today, didn't know what it was. Then on the drive home witnessed about 6 bonfires.

Didn't even know this was a thing! (Not from Cork, never came across it at home!)

Happens a couple of times a year in Cork. Halloween is another one... but I think there's another date around October that they have bonfires (maybe someone else here knows more).

Don't see the point of it at all. It's a hazard, a drain on resources (even moreso when you see the attacks on emergency services) and often used as cover to just burn trash. The council should ban it for a year and only bring it back on condition that the BS is cut out. If it's not, ban it for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

The Northside, you'll hear exactly where in the media in the morning.

The usual so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sam Mac wrote: »
    The usual so.

They was one set in Carrigaline that the fire brigade called to. The fire starters (or their parents) should be made pay for the callout, but chances are the little bollockses did a runner before guards etc came on the scene.

With the dry spell a fire like that could run, might not be such great craic if a dwelling house went up.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Trying to figure out do you mean fire truck or ambulance.

We only have HSE Ambulance here [and private].
    As best I know it was CO11A4 from CO12 [Ballyvolane] That's an Alpha Fire Truck, first responder.

No crew injured this year apparently. a fire fighter was hostipalised LAST year in a similar incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I am from Kerry and we don't do this, we don't even do bonfires at Halloween.

Here are a few tips: Avoid hanging washing out on the run up and the day of (we had stuff stolen years ago for a bonfire). Try to keep your bins locked up too, we had one stolen on collection day for what we assume was a fire. Keep your pets (particularly cats) locked up. Scum love cruelty to animals and my top tip is avoid the bad areas the day of and the days after the big night. I drove to Apple once to collect someone and I saw a dead cat that will stay with me for the rest of my life. It must have been the most agonising death. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I am from Kerry and we don't do this, we don't even do bonfires at Halloween.:

I think they still do it in some parts of of Kerry - I think it's only only big in some parts of Ireland now like Cork and Mayo.

It's still hugely celebrated in some countries in Scandinavia.

evilivor wrote: »

Is this not Walpurgis Night? (30th Apr?)

They would have carefully organised events for all with singing etc, burning timber/straw.... not scangers with cans burning household crap and tyres they either robbed or couldn't be ars*d taking to recycling. Shame that the scum hi-jack this tradition.

EDIT: I see they to St John's night as well....'Scandinavian countries, in which the evening is called Sankt Hans or Jonsok, short for Saint Johannes or Saint John's Wake. In some countries (Denmark) a witch burning is included.'

I think they still do it in some parts of of Kerry - I think it's only only big in some parts of Ireland now like Cork and Mayo.

I did not know that. South Kerry, specifically South West Kerry is bonfire free anyway!

I did not know that. South Kerry, specifically South West Kerry is bonfire free anyway!

Except when they win GAA matches....:pac:

Except when they win GAA matches....:pac:

I had forgotten that. They sacrifice tyres to the great GAA god who bestowed favour on them!

I had forgotten that. They sacrifice tyres to the great GAA god who bestowed favour on them!

Nothing funnier than a country cop directing traffic at a homecoming conveniently ignoring a bonna emitting black toxic smoke that he'd be taking names and addresses over on a normal day.

Nothing funnier than a country cop directing traffic at a homecoming conveniently ignoring a bonna emitting black toxic smoke that he'd be taking names and addresses over on a normal day.

I know. Sometimes I feel sorry for them because they would probably be lynched if they did anything but they must be itching to. That said, they don't seem to do anything about all the piles of rusty wire left at the roadside to greet all visitors for the next few months. :rolleyes:

They would have carefully organised events for all with singing etc, burning timber/straw....

There were a number of organised events last night in Knocknaheeny, Farranree, Mayfield, Mahon and Togher.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/enjoy-a-safe-bonfire-night-in-cork-272919.html

I know. Sometimes I feel sorry for them because they would probably be lynched if they did anything but they must be itching to. That said, they don't seem to do anything about all the piles of rusty wire left at the roadside to greet all visitors for the next few months. :rolleyes:

Hardly I'd say, loyalty to the GAA overrides any moral policing scruples.

• Advertisement

There were a number of organised events last night in Knocknaheeny, Farranree, Mayfield, Mahon and Togher.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/enjoy-a-safe-bonfire-night-in-cork-272919.html

Good to see, but there was still a fair few fire tenders and squad cars with the flashing blue lights evident. A clamp down on unofficial 'events' is what's badly wanted.

Hardly I'd say, loyalty to the GAA overrides any moral policing scruples.

Every now and again you get a maverick willing to stick his neck on the line. The last one who was acting 'the big man' at home didn't last long. He was by far too big for his boots and obviously annoyed the other more peaceful Gardai who enjoyed the quiet life and the celebrations of their son's and daughter's victories. He was apparently (or so everyone said) falsifying his expenses claims. After that, when he stopped you wondering where you were going, where you were from and where you got the car from (his favourite line of questioning for reasons unknown) nobody hesitated to tell him to mind his own business. Quiet boy now, many years on. No trouble anymore. Coincidentally, his brother (a mechanic) was convicted of selling stolen cars in Cork around the same time. Maybe that is why he was always asking about where you got the car!

Good to see, but there was still a fair few fire tenders and squad cars with the flashing blue lights evident.

That's for the disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flintash

it is a big event in one of Baltic states, with big bonfires and celebrations but in civilized and more enviramentaly friendly way. but then again they are so poor they cant afford to burn tyres, meanwhile living in a thick woods have no shortage of sticks...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I am from Kerry and we don't do this, we don't even do bonfires at Halloween.

That's where I'm from too! Think we had one at Halloween once, but it was in a field in the middle of nowhere :o

That's where I'm from too! Think we had one at Halloween once, but it was in a field in the middle of nowhere :o

About twenty years ago I used to drive from Cork to Tralee through Killarney most times once a week on a Thursday night.

We loved the bonfire night but can't remember which date was observed, but fires were abundant and it was a sight to behold.

But this stopped suddenly and the only fire were to be seen in County Cork. Have not done the run in four years now.

Last Halloween I remember it was pitch black in Kerry and we got battered by eggs in Macroom ... "we're home!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

They would have carefully organised events for all with singing etc, burning timber/straw.... not scangers with cans burning household crap and tyres they either robbed or couldn't be ars*d taking to recycling. Shame that the scum hi-jack this tradition.

EDIT: I see they to St John's night as well....'Scandinavian countries, in which the evening is called Sankt Hans or Jonsok, short for Saint Johannes or Saint John's Wake. In some countries (Denmark) a witch burning is included.'
    Walpurgis Night or 'Bealtaine' / May Eve in Ireland is a separate but similar event to Midsummer. It is the beginning of summer and the official end of the old pagan winter. It also marks the midway point between mid spring and mid summer. Bonfire Night in Limerick City is on this date (30th April). Where I'm from in rural County Limerick, the farmers in particular would make a big deal of blessing the land with May Bushes. My mother spends about an hour every May Eve blessing all the farm with the Bush! Might sound nuts to city folk but it's a very important tradition round these parts :D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltane

I was of course familiar with the summer solstice and it's significance before I moved to Cork, but had no idea it was "celebrated" with such vigour there! There's never much said about it up Limerick way.

'Midsommar' as it is called in Sweden, is massive there and all over Scandanavia - it's as close as you can get to their version of St Patrick's Day.
    They need a good excuse to celebrate the longest day up there though, it's very depressing when you have 3 months of near total darkness in winter time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

that time of the year again and as i was driving on the link road i spotted this building on fire (sorry i couldn't stop and take a picture) the fire was huge though and plumes of thick black smoke were blowing into the air...

353025.png

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

There is a huge fire up on airport hill. Visible all over the city.

• Advertisement

Bonnas down as far as the Halfway, one HUGE blaze in a field near there.

Fire brigade down around Kinsale Rd roundabout, they must hate buzzing around like blue ar*sed flies putting out all these every year.

Advertisement