Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil Vs Cameroon - 9:00pm RTE2

123457»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Blatent handball there in the Mexico game.

How the hell did the ref not see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Billy86 wrote: »
    Dunphy trying to talk down Neymar for "messing" (?) in the second half, insinuating he cannot do it against good teams or when it matters. They were right about the rest of the team being awful, but that is just pathetic.

He has a 50+ cap, 30+ goal sample size to choose from. Eaton should just admit he hasn't researched him adequately and has only seen him at Barca where for a number of reasons he hasn't been great or fit in right this season.

It is not as outrageous as it sounds though, Neymar does have a lot to prove at the highest level, against the better players. Look through that goals record if you like, the stat by itself looks great, till you go a bit deeper.

Has amazing potential, always has had, hopefully he kicks on because he was slowing down (his progression) in his last season with Santos imo and it looks like the move has kick started him again though he didn't set the world alight or anything.

I would like nothing more then to see him fulfill the potential he has, I have been an admirer and defender for so long now, but honestly, the fact that he still has plenty to prove is not out of this world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Eamon really doesn't like Brazil.
    They're not that bad.

I don't think he hates them, he just holds them to a different standard than everyone else. Bill said to the panel "Why are ye so hard on Brazil?" and they're respone was "It's Brazil Bill." As a life long Brazil fan I get that. Now they have spewed a fair bit of nonsense alright, but this is a poor team by Brazilian standards. And it is a team that could very well lose to Chile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Ah it's expected with Dunphy. My favourite one was just before Man Utd beat Roma 7-1 at Old Trafford in the Champions League.

Before the game Roma were a 'real' team who would take Utd apart. After the game, Serie A was a league in decline with no good teams in it.

Yep, waiting for the aul team, country or humanity"...is in decline" following a game where he prob lost a bet is always a good laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Ah it's expected with Dunphy. My favourite one was just before Man Utd beat Roma 7-1 at Old Trafford in the Champions League.

Before the game Roma were a 'real' team who would take Utd apart. After the game, Serie A was a league in decline with no good teams in it.

I actually don't think he adds anything to the panel.
    I'd love if he just fcuked off tbh.
    I'd be very happy to see Giles, Sadlier and Hamann/Brady doing the big matches.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I don't think he hates them, he just holds them to a different standard than everyone else. Bill said to the panel "Why are ye so hard on Brazil?" and they're respone was "It's Brazil Bill." As a life long Brazil fan I get that. Now they have spewed a fair bit of nonsense alright, but this is a poor team by Brazilian standards. And it is a team that could very well lose to Chile.

Chile are 11/2 to beat Brazil on pp. They dont have the odds for simply qualifying for the quarters though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

kryogen wrote: »
    It is not as outrageous as it sounds though, Neymar does have a lot to prove at the highest level, against the better players. Look through that goals record if you like, the stat by itself looks great, till you go a bit deeper.

Has amazing potential, always has had, hopefully he kicks on because he was slowing down (his progression) in his last season with Santos imo and it looks like the move has kick started him again though he didn't set the world alight or anything.

I would like nothing more then to see him fulfill the potential he has, I have been an admirer and defender for so long now, but honestly, the fact that he still has plenty to prove is not out of this world

Thing is......what is the highest level....?

Playing for Barcelona is the highest level? Maybe it is.....but Barcelona players are up against the likes of Levante and Elche week in week out.

Barcelona have a handful of really serious matches each year, but 90% of their matches are lopsided.

The World Cup is different. All the best players in the world are there, but they are spread across a far greater number of teams. teams are more even in standard so every game you play is a serious game. in my view, this is the real stage. With Barcelona, Neymar can have a bad day because he knows Messi is there in the background. With Brazil, he doesn't have that luxury. He has to perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thanks for reminding me, I was in seventh heaven that night and poor oul Dunphy was on the verge of a stroke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Playing for Barcelona is the highest level? Maybe it is.....but Barcelona players are up against the likes of Levante and Elche week in week out.

Barcelona have a handful of really serious matches each year, but 90% of their matches are lopsided.

The World Cup is different. All the best players in the world are there, but they are spread across a far greater number of teams. teams are more even in standard so every game you play is a serious game. in my view, this is the real stage. With Barcelona, Neymar can have a bad day because he knows Messi is there in the background. With Brazil, he doesn't have that luxury. He has to perform.

Levante would kick the fook out of Cameroon

The point was being made that he has done it against the best due to his scoring record internationally, 35 in 52 or something

I am saying it does not tell the whole story, you need to analyse those stats, see who he scored against, in what context etc.

I think he has all the tools to be up there with the best, but he has not done it yet for Brazil against the best, if Brazil are going to do anything in this tournament, he will certainly have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

kryogen wrote: »

I would like nothing more then to see him fulfil the potential he has, I have been an admirer and defender for so long now, but honestly, the fact that he still has plenty to prove is not out of this world
    You also have to factor in that against the top teams, they flat out do not need to worry about a single other Brazilian on the pitch, though. You could leave Fred open all game and likely not pay for it, and that is barely even an exaggeration.

Neymar as goals against Germany, Argentina (twice), Colombia, Chile, Italy, Spain, Croatia and Portugal, having just looked it up. That really is not shabby at all for someone who only turned 22 in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The World Cup is different. All the best players in the world are there
    zlatan300200grim.gif

Sorry, could not help myself. :p

Billy86 wrote: »
    You also have to factor in that against the top teams, they flat out do not need to worry about a single other Brazilian on the pitch, though. You could leave Fred open all game and likely not pay for it, and that is barely even an exaggeration.

Neymar as goals against Germany, Argentina (twice), Colombia, Chile, Italy, Spain, Croatia and Portugal, having just looked it up. That really is not shabby at all for someone who only turned 22 in February.

Yeah the crux of that makes a valid point alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Haha brilliant, I'd say you're having some time over there! Only a matter of time before one of the big boys snap him up. Next season will be the year of Fred :D
    Ye it's epic up outside the stadium tom to try get Italy uruguay tickets. 1 euro a drink over here heading home tom night tho. Right said Fred .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I have to say I am really impressed with neymar in this world cup. He is dragging brazil through the games and could do so for a few games to come. Depending of course on how far they get.

Dunphy is pissing me off. He is like a vulture biding his time for neymar to play badly so he can unleash all of his fallacies in one clip show.

Advertisement