Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

• 23-06-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Hi,

There was a new boiler recently installed in our house. It has a little dripping leak (Water) coming from it. The guy who installed has been out 3 times and said it was fixed, then it started again. We are waiting for him to come out again. I have been suffering headaches and muscle weakness/fatigue for the last few weeks, I was at the doctor last week who thought it might be a viral thing I have and if it was still there this week to come back to him, he put me on ponston which took the headaches away a bit but the ponston are gone now and the headaches are back with avengence!
    My son who is only 2 was sick a few weeks ago, he was holding his head saying it hurt him. We don't have a carbon monoxide alarm but I was wondering is it possible this could be been caused by the boiler? I am exhausted, my head feels so heavy and the headaches are awful, I never thought of the boiler until tonight and that it may be the cause of the problem, I know it may be something else but it just seems to make sense timing wise. Should I mention it to the doctor tomorrow?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

tony1980 wrote: »
    Hi,

There was a new boiler recently installed in our house. It has a little dripping leak (Water) coming from it. The guy who installed has been out 3 times and said it was fixed, then it started again. We are waiting for him to come out again. I have been suffering headaches and muscle weakness/fatigue for the last few weeks, I was at the doctor last week who thought it might be a viral thing I have and if it was still there this week to come back to him, he put me on ponston which took the headaches away a bit but the ponston are gone now and the headaches are back with avengence!
    My son who is only 2 was sick a few weeks ago, he was holding his head saying it hurt him. We don't have a carbon monoxide alarm but I was wondering is it possible this could be been caused by the boiler? I am exhausted, my head feels so heavy and the headaches are awful, I never thought of the boiler until tonight and that it may be the cause of the problem, I know it may be something else but it just seems to make sense timing wise. Should I mention it to the doctor tomorrow?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Is the boiler on when youre feeling ill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

First and foremost...
    If you suspect that your appliance is producing high levels of Carbon Monoxide and you may be feeling ill effects Switch It Off Now and Leave It Off until it has been thoroughly checked and certified as safe Do Not Take Chances..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

The boiler was on but the heating wasn't, I have it knocked off since earlier tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

The boiler was on but the heating wasn't, I have it knocked off since earlier tonight.

Open the windows to air the place out properly and leave the boiler off until you get a registered gas installer to come out and measure the parts per million of carbon monoxide in the air with a proper calibrated sensor when the boiler is switched on. Also install a carbon monoxide sensor once you get the all clear

What part of the country are you based. Plenty of good RGI on here.

• Advertisement

TURN IT OFF.

DO NOT USE IT.

RING THE MANUFACTURES OF THE BOILER AND GET IT CHECKED.

GET A CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR, TO NOT HAVE FITTED ONE AT THIS STAGE WITH A CHILD IN THE HOUSE IS TAKING NEEDLESS RISKS AS IT'S CHILDREN AND OAP'S THAT DIE FIRST.

It's impossible to say if the boiler is causing your health problems but until you prove otherwise you must treat this as a dangerious boiler installation.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What part of the country are you based. Plenty of good RGI on here.

I am in Limerick.

I am in Limerick.

Sorry I don't know anybody down there. Get a carbon monoxide room test done using a flue gas analyser by an RGI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Sorry I don't know anybody down there. Get a carbon monoxide room test done using a flue gas analyser by an RGI

This is free from bord gais . 1850632632. You will get a room test and printout of results .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Your guy has been out 3 times.

Call Board Gas emergency No. and get get them to send out somebody else for safety check.
    DO NOT USE BOILER

PM sent.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update. Bord Gais came this morning and they said after checking everything out that the boiler is fine and there is no sign of carbon monoxide leak. Thanks for your help :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just a quick update. Bord Gais came this morning and they said after checking everything out that the boiler is fine and there is no sign of carbon monoxide leak. Thanks for your help :-)

get yourself a CO detector anyway

All due respect to BG but in a situation like this as a boiler expert I would be the one deciding on the safety of one of my boilers under warranty.

Ring the manufactures and tell them you think there is a problem with the boiler, if there a decent manufacture they should be more than happy to confirm the safe operation of your boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

gary71 wrote: »
    All due respect to BG but in a situation like this as a boiler expert I would be the one deciding on the safety of one of my boilers under warranty.

Ring the manufactures and tell them you think there is a problem with the boiler, if there a decent manufacture they should be more than happy to confirm the safe operation of your boiler.

Thats true. Iv always found them very good but one honest lad told me some installs are less than adequate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Glad to hear your good news Tony.

Is there any other way you might be getting carbon monoxide.
    Cooker ???

Anyway, get a co alarm for peace of mind and fair play for suspecting co, even if it was a false alarm, better that way.
    M.

We are getting an alarm today, any suggestions on a good one?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Yes, EI Electronics

And make sure to follow the instructions on fitting it, as location of the alarm is vital

Advertisement