Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dropped iphone4s into toilet...

• 23-06-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

obviously im an idiot for doing what i did.. but anyways dropped iphone into toilet it was in there for about 3 seconds took it out immediately , the audio was working but sounded abit weird so i switched it off and back on and now the audio doesnt work for youtube vids or itube, i rang my phone and the audio seems to works but it only comes out of the right speaker, everything else seems fine if i flick the switch for silent that works except it doesnt show the volume bar, if i turn up the volume with the + - buttons the volume bars dont show, utube volume and itube volume bars doesnt show aswell, any idea?

also does anyone know how much a repair would cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Switch it off stick it in a sealed bag of rice for 24 hours probably be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

moonshadow wrote: »

Yup
    The rice will attract Asians who will come and fix your phone...
    Sorry couldn't resist( not racist or anyting but my gf always laughs at that one. She's Asian)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

moonshadow wrote: »
    so would that fix the problems with the volume bar not showing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Lash it into a bag of rice post haste. then put it it in airing cupboard. Unless you have the comfortable with dismantling it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Does the audio work when you use a pair of earphones?

Did you leave the phone dry out?

I wouldn't do that rice trick as it will just make it worse.. It may only be the dock and audio flex jack that is damaged, from the water..

If there is no condensation behind the screen or sight of water the it didn't get into the internal components... No sound is usually the audio jack, sometime the dock.. Both are inexpensive the replace (by yourself)..

• Advertisement

Lash it into a bag of rice post haste. then put it it in airing cupboard. Unless you have the comfortable with dismantling it?

nope id probs make it worse tbh

gazzamc wrote: »

audio isnt working but when i ring my phone it works , naw i'l do that now

yes sorry earphones works fine

Reon wrote: »
    yes sorry earphones works fine

Good it may only be some dirt in the jack socket, or it may need a little more time to dry.. At worst it like €5 for a new audio flex cable

Btw is it charging fine?

Good it may only be some dirt in the jack socket, or it may need a little more time to dry.. At worst it like €5 for a new audio flex cable

Btw is it charging fine?

ok wow i switched it off for like 5 mins and everything is working perfectly! volume bar is working and youtube vids are working , ive no idea how that happened but thank goodness , anyways thanks very much for all the helpful information!!!!

• Advertisement

ok wow i switched it off for like 5 mins and everything is working perfectly! volume bar is working and youtube vids are working , ive no idea how that happened but thank goodness , anyways thanks very much for all the helpful information!!!!

It was most likely dirt in the headphone dock.. If it happens again try cleaning that first..

thanks everyone for the helpfull information its working fine i just switched it on and off that didnt work so i tried again for about 10mins and it started working fine probably cause it didnt fully submerge maybe it just got abit fuzzy but the audio cut out the only way i could hear any audio was if i plugged in earphones or rang my phone but anyways all is good

It was most likely dirt in the headphone dock.. If it happens again try cleaning that first..

ah ok will do thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

and it started working fine probably cause it didnt fully submerge

So you're saying it was a floater ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

I wouldn't do that rice trick as it will just make it worse.. It may only be the dock and audio flex jack that is damaged, from the water..

If there is no condensation behind the screen or sight of water the it didn't get into the internal components... No sound is usually the audio jack, sometime the dock.. Both are inexpensive the replace (by yourself)..

How would the rice trick make it worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

jamesd wrote: »

If it attracts badly trained asians, and they botch the repair job. :pac:

In all seriousness, it won't make it worse. Short of putting it in water, you can't make it too much worse anyway.

jamesd wrote: »

It doesn't work, I've no idea where people got the idea... if the water got into the internal components it's gone and no amount of rice will fix it...

I was thinking of something else.. it won't make it worse but certainly won't make it any better.. just because rice soaks up water doesn't mean it's a magical fix for water damaged electronics...

This is a good read and explains it well, it's just a misconception.
    https://www.iphonelife.com/promotions/why-rice-can-not-effectively-dry-wet-cell-phone

Advertisement