Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

husqvarna 141 cutting out when started

• 23-06-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Husqvarna 141 is starting revving high then cutting out any ideas I'm thinking a fuel line?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It may be. Have you changed the spark plug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I haven't, I'll be honest with you I bought it from a lad on adverts.ie as a non starter he had it serviced then was cutting up firewood and it stopped working so I bought it for 60 quid off of him new chain on it and all, might be a nice backup chainsaw for myself if it works out

I checked the spark plug and its not fouled so I'll remove the fuel line tomorrow and see

Did I mention its revving high when started which is odd for a husky

I had a similar sounding event with my stihl recently and all it needed was a new spark plug. I had a fairly newish plug in it and discounted that as the problem until pulling my hair out after messing around with the fuel lines and tank for a while, I just tried it jic :rolleyes:. It may also be the impulse pump if not the spark plug or fuel lines/tank/breather/filter.

I'll keep it in mind I'll give her a good overhaul anyway new needle bearing and clutch and I might put a 3/8 chain and sprocket on her too

Thanks for the help I'll report back with any developments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Check compression, may have a split fuel line or primer bulb cracked if equipped. Check mag gap and also that flywheel has not sheared woodruff key in crank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

First thing first would be to put freshly mixed fuel in the saw, just check the fuel filter before you do this. As it was bought as a non runner huge possibility the saws tuning was played around with.
    Set the saw to it basic tuning (1 and a quarter for each ) and it will start if it don't have any issues, a tweak of the screws along with idle screw will tune it up. If it don't tune up you could be looking air leakage somewhere, impulse pipe on carb, fuel line. I don't think a loose exhaust would give you those symptoms but with small engines a small thing can really throw them out.
    As the 141 is a clam shell engine, one or more of the 4 bolts may have loosened. A crankcase pressure test would throw this up along if crankcase seals were in trouble.

another thought would be to take the exhaust off and make sure its not blocked and clean it.

First thing first would be to put freshly mixed fuel in the saw, just check the fuel filter before you do this. As it was bought as a non runner huge possibility the saws tuning was played around with.
    Set the saw to it basic tuning (1 and a quarter for each ) and it will start if it don't have any issues, a tweak of the screws along with idle screw will tune it up. If it don't tune up you could be looking air leakage somewhere, impulse pipe on carb, fuel line. I don't think a loose exhaust would give you those symptoms but with small engines a small thing can really throw them out.
    As the 141 is a clam shell engine, one or more of the 4 bolts may have loosened. A crankcase pressure test would throw this up along if crankcase seals were in trouble.

1 and a quarter from fully tight yes ?

The saw will start and idle when the chain break is on and will die down when the throttle is pulled

I put a new spark plug in her today

As well as replacing the fuel line and the filter on the end

Engine has good compression just judging by pulling the cord

@oldtree

I will remove tomorrow and inspect it but as it was idling (kinda) I'm thinking the lad I got it off was messing with the tuning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

fergus1001 wrote: »
    1 and a quarter from fully tight yes ?

Yes.

[QUOTEThe saw will start and idle when the chain break is on and will die down when the throttle is pulled ][/QUOTE]

How do you expect a saw to rev up when chain brake is on?

• Advertisement

Yes.

[QUOTEThe saw will start and idle when the chain break is on and will die down when the throttle is pulled ]

How do you expect a saw to rev up when chain brake is on?[/QUOTE]

I didn't expect it to rev it stopped the saw from revving up and cutting out

I'm going to replace the fuel pump diaphragm and the pulse diaphragm tomorrow

fergus1001 wrote: »
    How do you expect a saw to rev up when chain brake is on?

I didn't expect it to rev it stopped the saw from revving up and cutting out

[/QUOTE]

Ok sorry i misunderstood you, did you turn down the idle screw to see if the rpm drops?

be carful with those screws do not tighten them in hard, be very gentle

Oldtree wrote: »
    be carful with those screws do not tighten them in hard, be very gentle

Im being very methodical with it I'm taking no chances when I get her going right it will be a nice little saw for doing brash paths and a backup saw for felling trees I would think

I'll post a picture of the saw when all is said and done maby a video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

best of luck with it. i got a little Stihl 170 off ebay a while ago, and find it fierce handy.had to get the spark plug hole helicoiled , and now she runs great.

this fellow, donnyboy73, does videos about chainsaw repairs and they are brilliant and detailed:
    here is one of his:

this fellow, donnyboy73, does videos about chainsaw repairs and they are brilliant and detailed:
    here is one of his:

I have her going now was the pulse diaphragm in the carb that was the problem just tuning her up now :)

yo ho ho away you go ;):D

yo ho ho away you go ;):D

Thanks for all the help lads ��

I have her tuned up now just have to take the bar off and file it level as it ain't cutting straight but its cutting fast for its size step down from a Ms 441 but its nice and light and easy to handle :-)

Have you filed down the bumpers and made sure the chain cutting blades are all evenly filed

• Advertisement

Have you filed down the bumpers and made sure the chain cutting blades are all evenly filed

I used a digital mil gauge to file them evenly

I filed down the bar with was visibly up on one side more than the other and she is flying now

Lovely :Dchainsaw-smiley-emoticon.gif

Here you go the finished product :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

here is one of his:

Excellent find. Thanks..

@oldtree

Changed username on YOUTUBE so video does not identify me now

Advertisement