Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elderly dogs unpleasent problem

• 23-06-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

This is sort of unpleasent but I'm mainly posting on behalf of my parents. They have an elderly terrier, 15 years old. He's a little blind and deaf but according to the vet, in remarkable health for his age. The one problem he has is an incurable, noncancerous tumour just below his anus. Apparently its hormonal and could only be cured by castration which isn't an option at his age.

The tumour doesn't bother him but it bursts and bleeds and he spends all day licking at it and when he sits on the floor it leaves blood patches. It smells too. Its really just disgusting.

Its becoming a real problem for my parents. My mum wants him put down but my dad thinks its unfair considering the dog himself is happy. I had wondered if something like those sanitary nappies for dogs in heat would be useful, just to make things more hygienic. But my parents at he'll just pull it off. Has anyone else ever dealt with anything similar? What would you recommend doing?

Edit: ha the last word of the title should be 'problem' don't know what I was thinking of!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I know my inlaws had a dog 17yo at the time with a very similar problem and the vet was willing to operate he did say there was an increased risk because of his age

he did have the operation and came through with flying colours and lived for many years after

just to add his complaint was severe inflammation of the testicles non cancerous as well not exactly as you described hope all goes well they deserve a chance once it doesn't effect their quality of life

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

openup wrote: »
    Edit: ha the last word of the title should be 'problem' don't know what I was thinking of!

Fixed that for you op ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Meirleach

Did the vet say it was not an option at his age, or just that there was increased risk?

If the options are between putting the dog down and chancing a castration I know which I'd go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

When i first brought bruce who is a10 yr old cavalier with a heart murmer to the vet she said he had an enlarged prostate and only cure was to neuter him. I spent a long time speaking to her about the risks involved and decided to go ahead and neuter him because the prostate would always be causing problems and could develop into cancer. They took extra precautions like having him on a drip during surgery and he did really well and apart from having to go back to have stitches out he's in great health. I definatly don't regret going through with it but i couldn't sleep the night before with the worry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

when our dogs grow so very old, they can have unpleasant problems like this OP. I think your parents should go talk to the vet, or go to another vet, to see what options there are if any... Its very sad to think that a 15 year old dog otherwise in very good health should be put down because he is making a mess. Understandable that the growth, and its location are not nice to look at, but definately go and talk to a vet, explain that it is an issue.

There are products that you can get - for example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Protective-Pants-Dogs-Season-Large/dp/B00178PKK4

Is this a recent occurance? Maybe your mother just needs to get used to it?
    My elderly dog is covered in warts and lumps, has growths, and is incontinent, but papertowels/disinfectant spray takes care of any mess. Hes worth it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement