Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broqdband costing a fortune

Options
  • 23-06-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I'm living near Borris and am told by eircom that they best my line will give is 4Mb download. Is anyone using this with the likes of netflix etc.
    I'm using Aptus at the moment and have no problems with their service but the charges over and above your monthly dowload allowance make it completely crazy for me given we have 3 kids all playing games and streaming movies etc. Eircom is slower (aputus is 6 Mb dowload) but has unlimited dowload. Anyone any experience of this speed from eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

mosesgun wrote: »
    I'm living near Borris and am told by eircom that they best my line will give is 4Mb download. Is anyone using this with the likes of netflix etc.
    I'm using Aptus at the moment and have no problems with their service but the charges over and above your monthly dowload allowance make it completely crazy for me given we have 3 kids all playing games and streaming movies etc. Eircom is slower (aputus is 6 Mb dowload) but has unlimited dowload. Anyone any experience of this speed from eircom?

Same problem here op, I can't even get an eircom line, but I'm thinking of ditching Aptus for their atrocious download allowance. Just had another wireless provider call to the door, a tenner cheaper and a 100gig allowance. Still crap but 20gigs better than Aptus all the same.

Anyone anything good to say about Premier?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

I find it hard to believe that Aptus don't offer far more generous download allowances. Their business model is flawed in my humble opinion. As soon as a viable alternative becomes available to me I'll be gone like a light. If and when fibre becomes more widely available they will be in big trouble. Surely they must be leaking customers already given that fibre is now available in the likes of Bagenalstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Anything over 2mb would be ok for Netflix.

The thing you'll need to look out for is the quality of the service through the line into your house.

I've seen people struggle to watch a YouTube video with Eircom where I've been able to tether my mobile phone signal and be able to watch a football match without interruption.

I'm fairly sure that Eircom offer a period of 14 days so you can make your mind up to either keep it or ditch it.

I too am an Aptus customer and have gone over my limit on both packages.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Anything over 2mb would be ok for Netflix.

The thing you'll need to look out for is the quality of the service through the line into your house.

I've seen people struggle to watch a YouTube video with Eircom where I've been able to tether my mobile phone signal and be able to watch a football match without interruption.

I'm fairly sure that Eircom offer a period of 14 days so you can make your mind up to either keep it or ditch it.

I too am an Aptus customer and have gone over my limit on both packages.

Thanks for that. I think I might try Eircom and see how it goes for the 2 weeks. Keep Aptus just in case. If it's ok I'll then cancel Aptus.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Eircom also do an unlimited download package. I'm on it.
    Half price for the first six months as well.

• Advertisement

Eircom also do an unlimited download package. I'm on it.
    Half price for the first six months as well.

What speed is your package and is it sufficient for streaming movies etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Its up to 8mb, getting around 6 though. I use netflix all the time, no problems at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sky or Vodafone work out cheaper than eircom. Sky is completely unlimited while Vodafone have a fair usage cap (it's generous enough). They all use the same equipment more or less so you won't see any massive performance improvement. Vodafone also do the fibre, but I assume it's not available yet in your area.

2mb+ is fine for streaming in general but remember, the more people using your internet at home will see the performance drop.

Sully wrote: »
    Sky or Vodafone work out cheaper than eircom. Sky is completely unlimited while Vodafone have a fair usage cap (it's generous enough). They all use the same equipment more or less so you won't see any massive performance improvement. Vodafone also do the fibre, but I assume it's not available yet in your area.

2mb+ is fine for streaming in general but remember, the more people using your internet at home will see the performance drop.

Thanks. Wish fibre was available. That would solve my problem straight away. I think i'll give Eircom a go and see what happens. If there's any problems with the line, the other providers will be reverting back to them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I cant get fibre and eircom says our line cant handle any more than 4 mbs. I tried everyone going (or as good as) and I've found regional broadband to be pretty good. Up to 7mb, lowest around 4, and usually somewhere inbetween 4 and 6mbits. 2mbit upload and no limits.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

My friend has Aptus and gets 6/1 with a 40GB limit!

Crazy stuff having a limit these days.

Go with Eircom.

Order placed with Eircom. I'll plug it in and see what happens. If its not up to the job I'll look elsewhere. If I get 4 or even 3MB download it will be fine. If I'm not getting that, I'll send it all back and cancel within the cooling off period. I'll report back here with how it goes.

maccored wrote: »
    I cant get fibre and eircom says our line cant handle any more than 4 mbs. I tried everyone going (or as good as) and I've found regional broadband to be pretty good. Up to 7mb, lowest around 4, and usually somewhere inbetween 4 and 6mbits. 2mbit upload and no limits.

Thanks for that. I actually came across Regional Broadband and it looked ideal for me. I emailed them where my house is located and they came back and said they had no coverage in my area. I was surprised as their converage map looked like they did. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Ah damn. Ask them to keep you updated, you'd never know. i thought looking at their map they had all of the area covered too.
    Thanks for that. I actually came across Regional Broadband and it looked ideal for me. I emailed them where my house is located and they came back and said they had no coverage in my area. I was surprised as their converage map looked like they did. Ah well.

Just to update those interested. I got Eircom broadband router and installed it. 4Mb advertised and I get approx 3.4mb download consistently. Have it a month almost now. We kept Aptus too and our usage throughout the month with them was 30Gigabytes from a limit of 80. Just wanted to keep aptus in case Eircom was rubbish. Everything works fine on eircom. Netflix, youtube, sky go etc. Very happy with it and NO DOWNLOAD LIMIT. I wish it was a bit faster but for the money it beats aptus hands down. might hang on to aptus for a few months and mix between them and eircom that way I know my total monthly internet costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

sorry to be dragging up an old thread but looks like Aptus has listened to peoples complaints and has upped their data allowances, Just noticed they must have a typo as the PDF screenshot below is showing 1400GB whereas the mail body sayd 140GB..

324318.png

tommycahir wrote: »
    sorry to be dragging up an old thread but looks like Aptus has listened to peoples complaints and has upped their data allowances, Just noticed they must have a typo as the PDF screenshot below is showing 1400GB whereas the mail body sayd 140GB..

324318.png

Great news for those still using their service.

My friends who had Aptus actually got rid of it a few weeks ago and now have Vodafone DSL @1Mb at peak times compared to @3Mb peak with Aptus.

Great news for those still using their service.

My friends who had Aptus actually got rid of it a few weeks ago and now have Vodafone DSL @1Mb at peak times compared to @3Mb peak with Aptus.

Yikes, that is one thing that I have to say is great with aptus is their peak time speeds are not much slower than offpeak time.

I am also assuming that similar increases would be applied to other packages that they are selling..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Yeah the solum duo goes from 40 to 60gb. By looks of it Just add 20gb onto your current allowance

They are listening to their customers so credit where it's due. An unlimited package before the end if the year will be a great addition to their offering. They'll probably charge a fortune though.

• Advertisement

Having watched my dl limit for so long i'll never get near 140gb in a month.

They are listening to their customers so credit where it's due. An unlimited package before the end if the year will be a great addition to their offering. They'll probably charge a fortune though.

Aptus Unlimited - €69.99 (Pure guess.)

Vodafone Unlimited - €40.

So grateful I live in the town, rural broadband prices are extremely high!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

Just to update those interested. I got Eircom broadband router and installed it. 4Mb advertised and I get approx 3.4mb download consistently. Have it a month almost now. We kept Aptus too and our usage throughout the month with them was 30Gigabytes from a limit of 80. Just wanted to keep aptus in case Eircom was rubbish. Everything works fine on eircom. Netflix, youtube, sky go etc. Very happy with it and NO DOWNLOAD LIMIT. I wish it was a bit faster but for the money it beats aptus hands down. might hang on to aptus for a few months and mix between them and eircom that way I know my total monthly internet costs.

I knew someone who had aptus but got rid of it because of the cap and the speed was low at peak times because of the contention ratio.

eoin1539 wrote: »
    I knew someone who had aptus but got rid of it because of the cap and the speed was low at peak times because of the contention ratio.

That's just one of the cons with it being a wireless provider I guess!

That's just one of the cons with it being a wireless provider I guess!

Ye and it's so expensive too! Like for 4mb not even at peak times and for an 80gb cap it's €80! That's madness.

eoin1539 wrote: »
    Ye and it's so expensive too! Like for 4mb not even at peak times and for an 80gb cap it's €80! That's madness.

Where are you getting this price from?

Where are you getting this price from?

From the aptus website, I think they changed the price so now it's €59.99 for an 80GB cap.

I'm currently paying €50 for a 140gb cap.

Never had any contention issues even at peak time.

Same here with a 7mb connection for €50 and 140GB cap as per above, however contention will only come into play depending on the link you have and amount of people on it, personally on my link I have only seen any slow down a handful of times over the last 5 years I have been using Aptus and that was it dropping maybe by 25% or so in terms of speeds available according to speedtest results.

• Advertisement

Vodafone 100/20 €40 per month, love living in the town.

Advertisement