Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky about to start charging extra to use sky go on xbox 360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-23-sky-charging-5-more-to-use-sky-go-on-xbox-360

The robbing pr1cks. If this comes in over here (which it inevitably will) I'm canceling my sub. I was happy to pay once, but not twice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Shower of ****

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Surprised they didn't do this from the start tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The robbing pr1cks
    Shower of ****

Lads, tone it back a bit please

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Typical Sky, I'm on the edge of cancelling my sub as is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I see that they're trying to justify it in the UK by saying they've added all these new stations, most of which we can't get anyway. But I still don't see the justification for charging for it and not for it on the laptops, tables and phones.

My guess is that Sky are seeing that as consoles are hooked up to TVs or monitors that it's basically another form of multi room.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Lads, tone it back a bit please

Sorry about that , but I'm genuinely bothered about this. sky is ferociously expensive as is and this restriction is pointless, its deliberately handicapping the console users. Surely they're going to follow suit with people who access sky go on laptops and tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sorry about that , but I'm genuinely bothered about this. sky is ferociously expensive as is and this restriction is pointless, its deliberately handicapping the console users. Surely they're going to follow suit with people who access sky go on laptops and tablets.

I'm with you there, I find Sky horrifically expensive, especially when you consider additional rooms etc. I wouldn't be a big tv viewer, in fact, I rarely watch tv in the traditional sense...so for me UPC offer better value. But no Sky F1 with UPC makes Homer something something :(

I suppose it was always going to go this way, that's the crowd that they are.

Mobdro should have Chromecast support by them so it will be good luck and thanks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd imagine they're trying to clamp down on people using their parents subs and that. I use my parents sky on my xbox so I can watch sky sports, but I also have my own basic sky sub in my house.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'm with you there, I find Sky horrifically expensive, especially when you consider additional rooms etc. I wouldn't be a big tv viewer, in fact, I rarely watch tv in the traditional sense...so for me UPC offer better value. But no Sky F1 with UPC makes Homer something something :(

I'm in the same boat, I never watch what you could call 'scheduled programming' Its much more convenient for me to pick a night during the week when the kids are gone to bed and watch a block of programmes on my terms. I have netflix too, and while the price is great, the selection is slow to update. I think I'll be sticking with 4od, netflix and torrents from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Yeh,its a fecking disgrace.I just got an email about it and a "Special offer" of 6 months sky go extra for €3 per month(€6 after that). Is that a 12 month contract I wonder cos I was gonna just take it for the 6 months.

I was reading a thread about this on the Sky forums recently and there are quite a lot of people voicing their displeasure at the news. Apparently anyone like me that only has a 'Sky Go monthly ticket subscription' will be unaffected. It seems Sky want to increase the cost for their TV subscribers because as another user said already its basically a form of multi-room.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

I was reading a thread about this on the Sky forums recently and there are quite a lot of people voicing their displeasure at the news. Apparently anyone like me that only has a 'Sky Go monthly ticket subscription' will be unaffected. It seems Sky want to increase the cost for their TV subscribers because as another user said already its basically a form of multi-room.

Hi Winterfell,

How much is the Sky Go monthly ticket subscription and can you subscribe only to Sky sports for example.? I have sky box with all the channels now but I'm really interested in Sports channels only. My subscribiton expires in moths time and will be moving from my flat. Looking to cut cost so would only want Sky sports to watch with my xbox 360. Is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Got this today
    We're making some changes

Hello Nolimits,

From 29 July, customers will need to sign up to Sky Go Extra to watch Sky Go on an Xbox 360. As an existing Sky Go Extra customer, the good news is these changes don't affect you. You can keep enjoying the TV you love on your Xbox 360, along with all of the other great benefits Sky Go Extra has to offer.

With Sky Go Extra, not only can you watch live and on demand TV from Sky on your Xbox 360, but you can also download great TV shows, movies and box sets (depending on your TV package) to your compatible laptop, mobile or tablet via WiFi. Then, watch them later absolutely anywhere – even without an internet connection. You can also register up to four devices, two more than Sky Go.

Thank you for being a Sky customer.

Stephen van Rooyen
    Managing Director, Sales and Marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Just looked at the site there and it's still free for multi-screen users,so is it just customers with one box who have to pay extra?Thought this was always the case tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

Just ring them up and quit tell them you support net neutrality, If other companies start this crap you would be better off buying a VPN

No limits, how are you already a sky go extra subscriber?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

From what I gather it's still free for multi-screen users.

http://www.sky.com/ireland/offers/sky-go-extra/

@rubicon99

You cannot get Sky Sports on its own as part of the monthly ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Didn't you always need a multi room subscription for this? I've been using a relation's details for years, long before it was called sky go. You definitely needed multi room for this to work when I set it up.

Sounds like they're regretting how easy they made it for people to share account details and get sky sports without paying their ridiculous fees. There's no sign of a sky go app for Xbox one anytime soon is there? I read that's because they're aware how much potential revenue they're missing out on because of the app. They're going to be pushing their online pay as you go service on us instead.

Worst comes to worst and I'll just pick up a raspberry pi or something else I can run the android app off on my tv. And even if they start blocking that, we had a good run. Surprised a company like sky made it this easy to use their service for free for so long.

Fcukers have shut me down :(

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

Bang bang, they shot me down
    Bang bang, I hit the ground
    Bang bang, that awful sound
    Bang bang, Sky F..kers shot me down
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I'm not a sky go extra customer but got this

Hello Trampas,

With more and more of our customers watching TV from Sky in new ways, we've made some changes to Sky Go and how it's used on compatible devices – including games consoles. This will affect some of our customers.

From 29 July, some customers will no longer be able to watch Sky Go on their Xbox 360 unless they choose to sign up to Sky Go Extra.

As a loyal Sky customer, we're pleased to say these changes don't affect you – and you can continue to watch Sky Go on your Xbox 360 at no extra cost.

We hope you enjoy making the most of your Sky TV subscription.

Stephen van Rooyen
    Managing Director, Sales and Marketing

Trampas wrote: »
    I'm not a sky go extra customer but got this

Hello Trampas,

With more and more of our customers watching TV from Sky in new ways, we've made some changes to Sky Go and how it's used on compatible devices – including games consoles. This will affect some of our customers.

From 29 July, some customers will no longer be able to watch Sky Go on their Xbox 360 unless they choose to sign up to Sky Go Extra.

As a loyal Sky customer, we're pleased to say these changes don't affect you – and you can continue to watch Sky Go on your Xbox 360 at no extra cost.

We hope you enjoy making the most of your Sky TV subscription.

Stephen van Rooyen
    Managing Director, Sales and Marketing[/quote
    Have you got multi room?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I don't have multi room or never have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Mine is also gone. Have Multiroom but only Sky Go, not Sky Go Extra. Also have a fresh 12 month xBox live sub. if that makes any difference to this. Not pleased, but expected them to 'cash in' somehow and at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

ciarsd wrote: »
    Mine is also gone. Have Multiroom but only Sky Go, not Sky Go Extra. Also have a fresh 12 month xBox live sub. if that makes any difference to this. Not pleased, but expected them to 'cash in' somehow and at some stage.

The Xbox live would make no difference as that is with ms were as this charge is with sky and sky alone
    Il probably end up buying it as it's worth the price tag anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Just to follow up on this and for reference for anyone else locked out. I have verified this morning that if you have Sky Multiroom, then you can upgrade from 'Sky Go' to 'Sky Go Extra' at no additional charge, and in turn use your Xbox 360 with the Sky app once again. Otherwise it's €6/month on top of your current subscription unless you are deemed a loyal customer, for which some customers are getting it as their 'reward'.

• Advertisement

OK, finally bit the bullet and got sky go extra. Free for the first 2 months then 6 euro a month after that.

Hate paying it but it's worth it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement