Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing Sat.

Options
  • 24-06-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hello all. Just wondering if anyone knows what is the flashing satellite that passes overhead every night approx. 23:53, roughly North to South above Arcturus and below Vega. It flashes about every second (must be rotating pretty hard!) I've been observing this every night now for over a week. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Cosmos 1455 fits the bill, launched 1983.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Cosmos 1455 fits the bill, launched 1983.

If it's flashing, it's more likely an airplane. And if it's at the same time every night, it's more likely to be a plane flying to a schedule. The orbits of satellites Satellites generally don't allow them to pass the same place at the same time every day.

Either that, or possibly the passing of this flying object happens to coincide with beer time every night? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Having said that i have seen a flashing satellite. The flash had a kind of sine wave to it if you get me. The flashing light on a plane is on-off in more of a digital fashion.
    That to me distinguishes a satellite from a plane.

shedweller wrote: »
    Having said that i have seen a flashing satellite. The flash had a kind of sine wave to it if you get me. The flashing light on a plane is on-off in more of a digital fashion.
    That to me distinguishes a satellite from a plane.

Flashing satellites tend to be old stuff like rocket stages tumbling.

But anyone can tell a satellite track from a plane, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RockBadger

Yes Zubeneschamali, anyone can tell a sat. track from that of a plane and as shedweller notes also its flash traits. Cosmos 1455 seems to be the only candidate but you're right-I'm veering toward space junk at the mo due to the period of rotation, as I've said earlier about a flash a sec. or 1.5 sec. Have a look up tonight if the sky is clear. Cheers.

• Advertisement

animaal wrote: »
    The orbits of satellites Satellites generally don't allow them to pass the same place at the same time every day.

Cosmos 1455 passes again tonight starting 23:45.

Tomorrow, 23:40. 26th, 23:30.

Each time, pretty much due North to South as RockBadger describes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Ok I've been educated and realise that I've seen flashing satelites too. I just dismissed them as some type of plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Now that i have something interesting to watch, the sky has clouded over!
    Yay for Irish astronomy!!

Advertisement