Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minor Hurling Championship 2014

• 24-06-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭

Probably a bit late to be making this topic since we're about half-way through, but still, people tend to pay more attention as we approach the provincial finals and knock-out stages of the All-Ireland.

Munster semi-finals are going to be on this week, the Leinster semi-finals were on last weekend.

Munster Championship
    Odds
    Limerick- 6/4
    Waterford- 15/8
    Cork- 3/1
    Clare- 6/1

Fixtures
    Apr 09- Cork 5-26 Kerry 0-09, Pairc Ui Rinn, 6.15pm
    Apr 09- Waterford 1-13 Clare 0-11, Cusack Park, 6.30pm
    Apr 10- Limerick 3-17 Tipperary 2-11, Gaelic Grounds, 7pm
    ---
    Apr 22- Clare 6-25 Kerry 0-11, Cusack Park, 6.45pm
    ---
    Apr 30- Clare 1-23 Tipperary 0-12, Cusack Park, 7pm
    ---
    Jun 25- Waterford vs Clare, Fraher Field, 7.30pm
    Jun 26- Limerick vs Cork, Gaelic Grounds, 7.30pm
    ---
    Jul 13- Limerick/Cork vs Waterford/Clare, 2pm

Leinster Championship
    Fixtures
    Apr 12- Meath 3-15 Wicklow 3-09, Pairc Tailteann, 3pm
    Apr 12- Kildare 3-11 Westmeath 1-13, Newbridge, 3pm
    ---
    Apr 12- Offaly 1-16 Carlow 1-08, Dr. Cullen Park, 3pm
    Apr 13- Dublin 0-16 Wexford 0-11, Piercestown, 3pm
    ---
    Apr 26- Wexford 1-18 Meath 2-10, Pairc Tailteann, 3pm
    Apr 26- Carlow 1-22 Kildare 3-12, Newbridge, 3pm
    ---
    Apr 26- Laois 0-26 Offaly 3-14, O'Connor Park, 3pm
    Apr 26- Dublin 2-08 Kilkenny 0-03, Nowlan Park, 3pm
    May 10- Kilkenny 3-22 Carlow 0-07, Dr. Cullen Park, 2pm
    May 10- Wexford 0-18 Offaly 1-09, Wexford Park, 2pm
    ---
    Jun 21- Dublin 0-17 Wexford 0-16, Parnell Park, 3pm
    Jun 21- Kilkenny 1-21 Laois 0-16, O'Moore Park, 5.30pm
    ---
    Jul 06- Dublin vs Kilkenny, Croke Park, 2pm

(Minor competitions can be confusing... I've got the hang of the Munster one, but these Leinster fixtures seem all over the place, no idea how they are organised tbh).

Ulster Championship
    Fixtures
    May 31- Derry 3-08 Donegal 1-12, O'Donnell Park
    Jun 29- Armagh vs Derry
    Jun 29- Down vs Antrim
    Jul 13- Armagh/Derry vs Down/Antrim

All-Ireland Series
    Odds
    Kilkenny- 5/2
    Limerick- 3/1
    Dublin- 7/2
    Galway- 5/1
    Waterford- 5/1
    Cork- 8/1
    Clare- 20/1
    Antrim- 100/1

Fixtures
    Jul- Galway vs Munster runners-up
    Jul- Ulster Champions vs Leinster runners-up
    Aug 10- Leinster Champions vs Galway/Munster runners-up
    Aug 17- Munster Champions vs Ulster Champions/Leinster runners-up
    Sep 07- All-Ireland Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

So it seems the Leinster final will be a non event. Both sides will be in the SF whatever the result you'd think. The Munster loser has a much tougher QF however. I presume it alternates each year which losing provincial finalist gets Galway and Antrim or is it done by a draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Brian017 wrote: »
    So it seems the Leinster final will be a non event. Both sides will be in the SF whatever the result you'd think. The Munster loser has a much tougher QF however. I presume it alternates each year which losing provincial finalist gets Galway and Antrim or is it done by a draw?

I actually made that assumption myself... there isn't any information on the GAA website. Last year, Laois (Leinster finalists) played Galway in the quarter-final, but I'm pretty sure in 2012 & 2010 that the Munster runners-up did, so I assume it's the same in 2014.

You still want to win the provincial title though... you're only at the grade for a year or two, you want to win everything possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

That's true and I suppose Kilkenny will want to prove that complete annihilation in Nowlan Park was a freak result. One point from play and three altogether is unheard of from a Kilkenny side. Especially from a county who had both finalists in the Colleges final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Dangerous to make any presumption at underage (regarding Leinster teams automatically into semi final in this instance) as shown last year when antrim beat wexford at u21 semi final stage.

Big game for our lads tomorrow night v clare. Provincial semi final stage is key as win that and you are into the all ireland series

Looking at the Munster & Leinster Championships so far:

In Munster, Clare and Waterford was a tight, attritional affair; Waterford got a goal with about 10 minutes to go and ran out 5-point winners. I think Clare really struggled to score in the 2nd half, it sounded like a well-deserved win for Waterford. They don't have much of last year's All-Ireland winning team but Patrick Curran was a star player last year and is still there, Shane Bennett and Colm Roche too. Probably not on the same level as last year, but still will be a threat.

They play again in the semi-final, but Clare may benefit from the extra two games, they've had a chance to sort things out and at that level especially, it can't be under-estimated. The game against Kerry mightn't have been of much benefit, but they ran out big winners against Tipp (who had 3 red cards afaik). And Waterford will know that the backdoor can help, seeing as how they won it outright last year, despite losing twice.

Limerick are the favourites for Munster this year, and have a lot of the stars of last year's team still available- Ronan & Cian Lynch, Barry Nash, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave, Sean Finn... and they've got Colin Ryan in the forwards now, who was superb against Tipp. They beat Tipp well enough but let in a couple of sloppy goals, and Clare disposed of Tipp too, so they can't get too cocky. Cork will be a massive test, it's a pretty young team, but Landers & co. have done good work and will really put it up to Limerick. They'll be massive underdogs but they won't fear Limerick, and the Limerick boys can't underestimate them... as Kev said, once you get into a provincial final, it takes a lot of pressure off.

As for Leinster, already at the final... Dublin beat Kilkenny convincingly earlier on... I mean 0-3 in a whole game is pretty disgraceful for a team of Kilkenny's standing. But they seem to have revamped their team a bit, and will probably learn from that. They clearly have some good players... they had both finalists in the Colleges final, beating 2 Limerick teams- and Ard Scoil & Doon CBS players would feature prominently in the Limerick panel.

Kilkenny did get a very decent win over Laois, who are improving all the time, while Dublin only just scraped past Wexford. I really doubt it'll be a repeat of the first fixture, I imagine it'll be very close... KK are the favourites with the bookies, despite that earlier result. We'll see shur.

Hope Limerick can do it this year, awful disappointing last year. But it shows how up-and-down minor can be... Waterford were much better than Limerick in the first Munster final, but they pulled off a great comeback... but Limerick were by far the better team in the replay, despite Stephen Bennett scoring loads of goals. But then Limerick didn't really turn up in the semi-final, and Waterford had too much for the same Galway team in the final. I think we are stronger this year and hopefully can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Limerick's to lose. Have all the talent in the world, should dispose of Cork by 8-10 points. Dublin and Waterford their main competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clashoftheash

Orizio wrote: »
    Limerick's to lose. Have all the talent in the world, should dispose of Cork by 8-10 points. Dublin and Waterford their main competition.
    You not even going to count Kilkenny so?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Waterford have Colm Roche, Partick Curran and Shane Bennett that started every game, and Conor Gleeson and Cormac Curran who both started at least 3 games each.

Darragh Lyons played for Dungarvan Colleges last year and if I recall correctly scored 3 or 4 goals in the semi final v Kierans College. MJ Sutton came on in the Munster Final Replay last year too.

Plenty of talent there capable of winning it again, but an extremely tall order given last year was the first win in 65 years. Did win at Tony Forristal level, and I think I'm right in saying were done out of competing in the semi final at u16 on account of a crazy scoring system that decided that Offaly went through instead on account of having scored more goals (could do with clarification on that one).

Limerick though deserving favourites, the team to beat.

• Advertisement

In more pressing news, the minor team for Thursday vs Cork has been named:

1. Eoghan McNamara (Doon)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Paddy O Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    4. Jamie Porter (Monaleen)
    5. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    6. Ronan Lynch (Vice Captain) (Na Piarsaigh)
    7. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen)
    8. Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsaigh)
    9. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    10. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    11. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    12. Cian Lynch (Captain) (Patrickswell)
    13. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Conor Fitzgerald (Claughaun)

Bench:
    16. Cian Hedderman (Ballybrown)
    17. Darragh Fanning (Pallasgreen)
    18. Conor Byrnes (Munrroe/Boher)
    19. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)
    20. Edward Doyle (Monaleen)
    21. Eoghan Costelloe (Adare)
    22. Aaron Gillane (Patrickswell)
    23. Brian Ryan (South Liberties)
    24. Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)

4 personnel changes from the victory over Tipp, and a couple of positional ones too.

Paddy O'Loughlin of Kilmallock is in at full-back for Darragh Fanning, who was involved with the panel last year. Paddy is a brother of Mark & Philip as far as I know. Very highly-rated young player.

Thomas Grimes of Na Piarsaigh starts in midfield, Cian O'Brien is injured, I think. Our midfield was one of our weaker areas against Tipp, not surprised there's a change. Colin Ryan of Pallasgreen, last year's goalkeeper, is named out here too after playing brilliantly at corner-forward the last day. He was a brilliant ball-winner the last day, so might be a loss to the forward line, Grimes is again very highly-rated.

The other changes are the other midfielder Robbie Hanley is also out, to accommodate that move, with Conor Fitzgerald from Claughaun named inside. He came on early the last day and did very well, no surprise to see him.

And Ed Doyle, who was on the panel last year, didn't have a great day at all against Tipp, was replaced early. He is out and Peter Casey of Na Piarsaigh is in. I think he's Michael Casey's brother (not sure about that), but he's been racking up huge scores for Na Piarsaigh's minors and U-21s, no surprise to see him involved, think he was injured the last day.

A very strong team once again... bit surprised that Shane O'Connell, Barry Murphy & Dylan Dawson aren't on the bench, not sure if there are injuries but would have thought they would be included. Dawson has been racking up huge scores for Blackrock, did so in the last round of club fixtures, and was on the bench the last day; while Shane O'Connell came on the last day and did reasonably well.

Cork will be a tough test, but that's a team that is well able to perform the task. Half-back and half-forward lines look very strong in particular. Let's hope they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

That's true and I suppose Kilkenny will want to prove that complete annihilation in Nowlan Park was a freak result. One point from play and three altogether is unheard of from a Kilkenny side. Especially from a county who had both finalists in the Colleges final

Kilkenny are favourites for a reason you know, its a very good team thats why who were on the end of what I must say was a freak result, just 2 training sessions together as a panel beforehand too and the atrocious weather conditions did not help either, our touch was off and because of the weather it ultimately came down to who won the physical battles. Dublin were much the better prepared team and it showed on the day. I have every faith in this Kilkenny team and as someone very much in the know in the underage scene in Kilkenny, it was something I did not say the same for with our U21 team although I thought we would be more competitive on the night than we were against Wexford. I was scratching my head as to what happened that day V Dublin in Nowlan Park but the lads have recovered well thus far and dispatched what was a very good laois team the other night too with some impressive individual performances. We will be in the shake up I have no doubt. Kilkenny hurling is far from dead yet

Let's see, I counted Limerick, Waterford, Dublin...nope, no Kilkenny.

KK shouldn't even be in it, a backdoor at Minor level is some kind of sick joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

KK shouldn't even be in it, a backdoor at Minor level is some kind of sick joke.

Really so your saying Waterford winning the Minor All Ireland last year was some kind of sick joke. Must be worse than that seeing as they needed to use it twice. What a load of crap

Cork team:
    The Cork Minor Hurling team to play Limerick in the Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final on Thursday night at 7.30pm at the Gaelic Grounds will line out as follows:

1 Patrick Collins - Ballinhassig (Captain)
    2 Cian Walsh - St. Finbarr's
    3 Sean Bourke - Grenagh
    4 Shane O’Brien - St. Catherine's
    5 Darren Browne - Cuchulainn's
    6 Alan O'Callaghan Blackrock
    7 Ollie Dempsey - Youghal
    8 Sean O’Donoghue - Inniscarra
    9 Daniel Meaney - Blackrock
    10 Luke Meade - Newcestown
    11 Dayne Lee - Na Piarsaigh
    12 Shane Kingston - Douglas
    13 Darren Casey - Charleville
    14 Sean Hayes - Mallow
    15 Eoghan Keniry - Killeagh/ Ita's

Subs

16 Darragh O'Connell - Na Piarsaigh
    17 David Dooling - Glen Rovers
    18 Seadnaidh Smyth - Midleton
    19 John Good -Tracton
    20 Tomas O'Connor - Inniscarra
    21 Evan O'Connell - Glen Rovers
    22 Mark Dolan - Douglas
    23 Michael O'Halloran - Blackrock
    24 John Looney – Aghada

Denis Ring and his selectors have opted to make three changes following the quarter-final victory over Kerry. Ollie Dempsey, Darren Casey and Shane Kingston come into the side in place of Eddie Gunning, Tomás O’Connor and Mark Dolan.

Extended Panel
    Eddie Gunning (Na Piarsaigh)
    Aaron Stafford (Aghada)
    Diarmuid Buckley (Shandrum​)
    Billy Dunne (Fr. O'Neill's)
    John Mullins (Eire Og)
    Joe O Sullivan (Ballygiblin)
    Paul Leopold (Sarsfields)
    Alec Luttrell (Mallow)
    Martin Collins (St. Patrick's)
    Padraig Dennehy (Whitechurch)
    Eugene O'Leary (Ballyhea)
    Billy Hennessy (St. Finbarr's)
    Eoin O'Brien (Douglas)
    Conor Cahalane (St. Finbarr's)

Team Managment
    Denis Ring (Fermoy) - Manager
    Mark Landers (Killeagh) - Coach
    John Dwyer (Ballincollig)
    John Mortell (Ballyhea)
    Liam Martin (Glen Rovers)

Backroom Team
    Strength and Conditioning: Ritchie O'Leary
    Doctor: Paddy Burke
    Physio: John O'Meara
    Assistant Physio: John O'Mahony
    Logistics: Derek Connolly
    Statisticians: Mikey Mortell, Fergal Condon
    Video analysis: Len Browne, John Ring

Shame about the draw. Huge effort put in and Landers/Ring very good but that Cork team is on its way to a hiding unfortunately. Couple of nice hurlers like Collins and O'Brien though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

How many games did the Waterford minors lose last year before winning the title. Was last years win by Waterford a sick joke or is it only a sick joke if Kilkenny win.

And I suppose you'd be saying the same if it happened to your beloved Limerick.

Personally I think a back door is great idea. It gives young lads a chance to prove themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Cork's team looks very different when they take to the field.

Some excellent hurlers for Cork but Limerick seem to be on another level.

And I suppose you'd be saying the same if it happened to your beloved Limerick.

Personally I think a back door is great idea. It gives young lads a chance to prove themselves.

Orizio is a Corkman!

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if Cork's team looks very different when they take to the field.

Some excellent hurlers for Cork but Limerick seem to be on another level.

Limerick have a serious minor team, but we've all heard that this is the best Cork team in years. At minor level, there are no guarantees... Waterford lost to Tipp... if it had happened at this stage, they'd be out. Limerick can't afford any slip-ups and Cork will have been targeting this game all year.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Orizio is a Corkman!

Limerick have a serious minor team, but we've all heard that this is the best Cork team in years. At minor level, there are no guarantees... Waterford lost to Tipp... if it had happened at this stage, they'd be out. Limerick can't afford any slip-ups and Cork will have been targeting this game all year.

No, it has the best management, but that is saying very little as the CCB almost always give underage jobs to lackeys.

In terms of talent, last year's team was much stronger. Still didn't get to a Munster final mind.

• Advertisement

Waterford beat Clare in the Munster semi-final, sounded like a very entertaining game.

Patrick Curran goaled for Waterford in the first half, and they were well ahead at the break... at one stage, it was 1-7 to 2-0 in favour of Waterford, Aaron Shanagher got both Clare goals.

Waterford were winning 2-8 to 2-2 at half-time, but Clare came back into it, levelled it with about 5 minutes to go before Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran, both key players in last year's All-Ireland victory, got points to pull clear.

2-13 to 2-12 the final score, so Waterford will have at least 2 more games, and if they can build up momentum, who's going to back against them doing a 2-in-a-row?

Sounded like a much better game than the last time these two sides played, maybe some Waterford/Clare posters can inform us about who played well.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

Clare were reduced to 14 men early in second half.

Waterford beat Clare in the Munster semi-final, sounded like a very entertaining game.

Patrick Curran goaled for Waterford in the first half, and they were well ahead at the break... at one stage, it was 1-7 to 2-0 in favour of Waterford, Aaron Shanagher got both Clare goals.

Waterford were winning 2-8 to 2-2 at half-time, but Clare came back into it, levelled it with about 5 minutes to go before Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran, both key players in last year's All-Ireland victory, got points to pull clear.

2-13 to 2-12 the final score, so Waterford will have at least 2 more games, and if they can build up momentum, who's going to back against them doing a 2-in-a-row?

Sounded like a much better game than the last time these two sides played, maybe some Waterford/Clare posters can inform us about who played well.

Wee report for ya Fireball

Well that was a mad game. Waterford started like a train and went 1-6 to 0-0 ahead inside the first 10 minutes, Patrick Curran outstanding during this period scoring 1-2 from play before going off and a temporary sub coming on. Clare then got a couple of goals from the very threatening Aron Shanagher, the first a nightmare that the Waterford keeper wont want to see again. These got Clare into the match while Waterford lost their rhythm entirely. The other story of the first half was a lot of wides from both sides with Clare's free taking in particular very suspect. Darragh Lyons was excellent throughout the first half and the HT scoreline was 2-8 to 2-2. Curran did come back on, but seemed to be carrying an injury thereafter.

Clare had the breeze in the second half and began well, getting the first couple of scores before having a player sent off for a silly off the ball incident. This didnt deter them however and with 15 mins to go were ahead 2-10 to 2-8. Waterford came back though and began to make use of the extra man, a change in personnel with Eddie Meaney coming on and also a positional switch with Colm Roche moving to centre forward and Shane Bennett back the field. Bennett was the difference during this time period although it was difficult to see at times due to fading light. Waterford closed it out in the end in an exciting finish, with goalkeeper Billy Nolan more than atoning for earlier error with a great stop in injury time to save the day.

For Clare the standout players I felt were Shanagher, Fitzgerald and Walsh

One question must be asked of the officials at Fraher Field - Why have floodlights if you are not going to use them? They were only turned on 5 mins before the end and should have gone on at half time. For a 15 minute period in the second half it was almost impossible to see and would have been a shame if the game had ended up being decided by an error caused by lack of light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

KevIRL wrote: »

One question must be asked of the officials at Fraher Field - Why have floodlights if you are not going to use them? They were only turned on 5 mins before the end and should have gone on at half time. For a 15 minute period in the second half it was almost impossible to see and would have been a shame if the game had ended up being decided by an error caused by lack of light

Do you realise the price of electricity these days !

Looking forward to tomorrow night, should be an excellent game. I know everyone seems to be tipping Limerick, 8/15 with the bookies, but Cork are a good side and we can't under-estimate them.

When these sides played at U-16 level, we beat them 0-12 to 0-11 after extra-time. 2 years is a long time ago, especially at an age where players can develop so quickly and there will no doubt be changes to the panels... but tactically, teams are much more aware at minor level than the younger ages. But still... it shows how close the two sides were then, I wouldn't expect us to be far ahead tomorrow. In comparison, we beat Galway 3-20 to 0-08 at that level, and Clare 5-15 to 0-05 at U-17 level so it really does show that these 2 teams are evenly matched.

I do worry slightly about moving Colin Ryan from corner-forward to midfield, he won so much clean ball inside the last day, it was a huge advantage. We seemed to have the plan of the two strong ball-winners, Morrissey and Ryan, in the corners and target them, and then try to bring others into play running from deep. Now, we've moved Morrissey to full-forward and Ryan out the field, while bringing in Casey who is small, light & quick.

The midfield definitely needed a boost, and Ryan & Grimes will no doubt improve that area, but I'm just wondering whether it will leave us short inside. Casey is a different type of player completely- unbelievably talented but more in the Graeme Mulcahy mould; he's a lot smaller, he's super fast, but if he gets the ball in his hand and finds space, he's lethal. Fitzgerald did well from the bench the last day and can take a score... Morrissey is a big man but struggled to get clean shots away the last day, he is able to get goals though and is a good option at full-forward.

I just wonder would they have been better moving Cian Lynch to midfield, and leaving Ryan inside... Lynch is likely to roam around anyway, and he's the main man for sure. If Cork can handle him, they'll have a big advantage, but he can win ball, has pace, strength, can score on the run, can pick a pass... he has it all really. And with Nash beside him, along with Flanagan, who's a super playmaker... that's a very strong line.

We did have a few defensive problems the last day, we definitely don't want our full-back line isolated... they sweep up nicely, but like any back, they don't want to be faced with a forward one-on-one. Paddy O'Loughlin is a fine young player and will hopefully just bring a bit more security to that line. Finn is a class hurler, very composed.

Half-back line is very strong on paper but Cork do have some lively forwards, and they'll have to be sharp. Ronan Lynch had 1 or 2 dodgy moments the last day, he needs to command the centre. It's hard to know what is his best position, it's great to have someone so talented. La Touche Cosgrave beside him is a very classy player aswell, and we need him to have a big game.

We do have a very good team, I'm sure this side will produce plenty of players for the senior team either way, but it would be nice to win. Cork are definitely underrated in some quarters, it's going to be very very tight, wouldn't be surprised if it goes to extra-time. Hopefully the experience of last year will help us through.

A wet day here on Shannonside, hopefully it's not raining during the match itself, but conditions will be greasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hopefully we win to get more tickets!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Rain stopped down here, reckon it'll be ok for the match, but greasy surface yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Where is the Limerick v Cork game on this evening?

• Advertisement

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Where is the Limerick v Cork game on this evening?

Gaelic Grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Are any of the Minor games on tg4 or anywhere else? They show Under21 matches but why not the Minor games?

Its great to see classy new players coming through no matter what county

Are any of the Minor games on tg4 or anywhere else? They show Under21 matches but why not the Minor games?

Its great to see classy new players coming through no matter what county

They show the highlights on Monday nights, but no, I don't think they show them.

All-Ireland semi-finals and final are on before the senior games, but I don't think they even show the provincial finals.

26 mins gone, Cork 6 points Limerick 5 points

Cork 1-7 Limerick 0-7 into 9 minutes of injury time, bad injury to Cork player Shane O Brien caused the delay

12 to 1-8 now into second half

• Advertisement

15 to 1-8, some scoring by Limerick, 8 points on the bounce

20 to 1-13 into last 10 mins

Limerick look to be safe. 23 points to 1-15, 58 mins gone

Handy for Limerick.

Cork goal, 2 points in it. 2 mins added time...

• Advertisement

Cork keepr has a free saved...

Limerick commentator saying Limerick were 6-7 points better.

Full Time Limerick 0-23 Cork 2-15. Exciting Finish

Repeat of last years Munster final with Limerick facing Waterford

Anyone at it? Who stood out for Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

KevIRL wrote: »
    Cork 1-7 Limerick 0-7 into 9 minutes of injury time, bad injury to Cork player Shane O Brien caused the delay

Is the lad alright. Sounds bad?

From the Limerick thread:

Great win for the lads, had to dig deep, some nervy moments towards the end, but they pulled through.

It was tit-for-tat in the first half, up until Cork got their goal. Great catch by their full-forward and was always going to be a goal after that... our backline looked vulnerable when Cork ran at them, but we managed to get it level by half-time.

We really hit the ground running in the 2nd half, we knocked over some great scores- Tom Morrissey, Cian Lynch, Colin Ryan & Seamus Flanagan all stepping up. Everything Morrissey touched seemed to be turning to gold, he finished up with 5 or 6 from play, some absolutely beautiful scores.

We built up a 5-point lead and we pretty much held it right till the end, we were easily the better team in the 2nd half, our backs had them under some amount of pressure and if we had got a goal, it would have killed the game.

As it was Cork stayed in touch; Dayne Lee, Shane Kingston and Shane Hayes were causing us problems. Lee, in particular, seemed to be picking up loads of loose ball between our full-back and half-back lines, Ronan Lynch was nowhere to be seen- maybe it was tactics that he didn't follow the runner, but somebody needed to.

The work rate of our half-forward line was sensational though; Ryan, Lynch & Flanagan were often seen deep in the backline picking up ball and bringing it clear. Barry Nash was playing very deep throughout, in our own backline for most of the game... while he did well there, we did miss his scoring threat.

Colin Ryan's ball-winning, Morrissey's scoring ability & Flanagan's work rate were real highlights, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave put in a superb shift as well, he was the best of our backline imo.

They did expose us by running at us, and got the goal at the end to make it very nervy... we made two saves from frees at the end, and saved a penalty so it was close. Cork are a very good side, but I just thought the attacking fluidity we showed when we hit full flow at the start of the 2nd half was just phenomenal and that was the difference between the sides. Still plenty to work on... I'm less convinced by Ronan Lynch as a centre-back now, he does some great things but Lee caused him problems. Maybe he'd be better on the wing... hard to say. Cian Lynch still tries the spectacular a bit too much. And sometimes our touch let us down.

I thought Ed Doyle & Robbie Hanley were much better than the last day when they came on, great to see.

It's a fantastic win over a very good Cork side, on to another Munster final, and hopefully we can go one better this year.

Oh, and an additional note... I arrived quite late because my brother had training back at home, but there was a lengthy delay for 2 injuries to Cork players in the first half.

Apparently one looked very very serious, and I hope he's okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I actually made that assumption myself... there isn't any information on the GAA website. Last year, Laois (Leinster finalists) played Galway in the quarter-final, but I'm pretty sure in 2012 & 2010 that the Munster runners-up did, so I assume it's the same in 2014.

You still want to win the provincial title though... you're only at the grade for a year or two, you want to win everything possible.

I don't know how they do it anymore but its not every second year anyway. Galway have played Ulster winners in Quarter finals a couple of times from memory. Waterford beat Kilkenny in Walsh park one of those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Waterford have been in the All Ireland Minor Quarter Final 3 of the last 4 years and I never know how the draw is done.

Waterford played in

2010 Galway
    2011 Kilkenny
    (2012 Clare played Down)
    2013 Antrim

Last year was expecting Galway if it was done in rotation so must be an open draw. Even before last years Munster Minor Final was expecting Waterford to play Laois/Antrim if they won in the All Ireland semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Browney7 wrote: »
    Is the lad alright. Sounds bad?

Not sure but he hurt himself quite badly in a school game earlier in the year in an almost identical incident too. Could be a reoccurrence?

Kk well on top v Dublin. 13 mins gone, 1-3 to 0-1

• Advertisement
Advertisement