Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minor Hurling Championship 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

And if Kilkenny hurl like they are capable of for a full 60 minutes the pick of Waterford, Limerick and Galway would'nt beat them. :P

To be honest, my post was more kind of trying to point out that no team would dominate for 60 and I'm not sure it is a case of us not playing for 60 rather than other teams having a spell of dominance.

Waterford were the better side for 40 against Limerick but Limerick kept in touch only two adrift. And then when they got on top they were awesome.

To be honest, Limerick are the best team in Minor this year.

Waterford were last year, and though I understand people were responding to an idiotic post I hope that is acknowledged.

On the point of Galway only having one chance, well they only have to win 3 games a year max, this year only two (Antrim don't count). Any team in Munster has to win two games to make an all Ireland quarter.

Not sure how it works in Leinster but there would generally only be 3 teams you'd rate anyway, still its a lot more games to make it that far.

My impression was in general, Galway would prefer if it was made more difficult for them though so they aren't under any false pretensions as to how good their underage teams are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

At this stage, the odds (with PP) are:

Limerick 6/4
    Kilkenny 2/1
    Galway 4/1
    Waterford 4/1

That would seem to make KK strong favourites to beat Waterford this weekend, but if Waterford can draw with Limerick, they can beat KK. But they'll need things to go right, no more 2nd chances...

If I was backing someone, I probably would go with KK, but I've only seen them once and it's more of a reputation thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

To be honest, my post was more kind of trying to point out that no team would dominate for 60 and I'm not sure it is a case of us not playing for 60 rather than other teams having a spell of dominance.

Waterford were the better side for 40 against Limerick but Limerick kept in touch only two adrift. And then when they got on top they were awesome.

To be honest, Limerick are the best team in Minor this year.

Waterford were last year, and though I understand people were responding to an idiotic post I hope that is acknowledged.

On the point of Galway only having one chance, well they only have to win 3 games a year max, this year only two (Antrim don't count). Any team in Munster has to win two games to make an all Ireland quarter.

Not sure how it works in Leinster but there would generally only be 3 teams you'd rate anyway, still its a lot more games to make it that far.

My impression was in general, Galway would prefer if it was made more difficult for them though so they aren't under any false pretensions as to how good their underage teams are?

This year ie every third year they have to play the ulster champion, normally antrim. However, the other two years they have to play the beaten pronvincial champions who have a few games under their belt and know their best team. lose and they are knocked out whereas the team that beats them could already have lost twice. so that means galway would have no second chance. how is that fair?

Im fed up of people questioning the merit of some of the minor titles galway have won. In order to win the all ireland they generally have to beat the beaten munster/leinster champions, the leinster and munster champions and are therefore deserving winners if they beat them all!!

If your going to question galway winning an all ireland in 3 matches, then question the merit of some of kilkennys senior all irelands where they have to win just 4 matches. and the standard in leinster during the 2000's was poor (just look at the average teams lost by) so therefore you could say they just had to play 2 meaningful matches ie the all ireland semi final and final. However, that is too simplistic as they were the best team and just like the titles galway won, they deserved them!!!

I would be all in favour of galway competing in leinster, however there would be too many counties objecting so its unlikely this will happen any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Best of luck to our Minor team and Management against the Cats tomorrow
    In the All-Ireland Semi final.. Hopefully we can drive it on again and reach
    another final this year.. and give the County a big lift.
    Deise Abu!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Full-time: KK 0-16 Waterford 1-13

Draw game so two 10 minutes period of extra time.

Hard luck to our minors today.
    Should probably have won in normal time
    but missed too many chances.
    Cats were better team in extra time and
    deserved their win.

Big win for KK after extra-time.

Hopefully our lads can get past Galway, where they didn't perform to their best last year and get to the final. Hugely talented group, would be a huge shame for them not to win in Croke Park. Always have to be wary of Galway, hard to know how good they'll be, but they tend to be fairly consistent at this level and will have been preparing for an ambush at this stage for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

According to Cyril Farrell Galway have a very good minor team this year but until you actually see them you never know how good or bad they are. Limerick are the bookies favorites I believe for the A.I.

According to Cyril Farrell Galway have a very good minor team this year but until you actually see them you never know how good or bad they are. Limerick are the bookies favorites I believe for the A.I.

Never knew Cyril to talk down a Galway team.

Brian Burke was impressive last year, but that Conor Whelan looks like a star and I think is still Minor next year?

Also, Kilkenny should have won in normal time, they were the better team. Will probably come on for the game as well, but still think this Limerick team is the best around.

Team for today, talking points as usual:

1. Eoghan McNamara (Doon)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Paddy O Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    4. Jamie Porter (Monaleen)
    5. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    6. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    7. Conor Byrnes (Murroe/Boher)
    8. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)
    9. Ronan Lynch (Vice-Captain) (Na Piarsaigh)
    10. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    11. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    12. Cian Lynch (Captain) (Patrickswell)
    13. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Conor Fitzgerald (Claughaun)

Bench:
    16. Cian Hedderman (Ballybrown), 17. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen), 18. Darragh Fanning (Pallasgreen), 19. Edward Doyle (Monaleen), 20. Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsaigh), 21. Brian Ryan (South Liberties), 22. Conor McSweeney (South Liberties), 23. Barry Murphy (Doon) and 24. Conor Moroney (Tournafulla).

So, Colin Ryan, is back to wing-back for this game having played in almost every line at this stage. His move there was the winning of the game in the Munster final replay, so hopefully he can make a big impact, he's a super player, great fielder.

Andrew La Touche Cosgrave holds the centre of the defence, which has been the real problem position. Ronan Lynch back into midfield, possibly his best position, I'm not 100% sure.

But we'll likely see the half-forward line all pop up in midfield at some stage during the game, we need to get them on the ball and running towards goal. And then you've got Tom Morrissey, who is in great form, inside... his move to centre-forward in the replay was crucial and he finished with 0-5 from play again, I think.

Peter Casey is basically a younger Graeme Mulcahy, absolutely electric in the corner.

Once again there are changes to the bench, I'd say they've used well over 30 players so far... Barry Murphy from Doon is a very good player and I'd expect him to be starting next year for sure.

Hopefully they can do enough to win!

• Advertisement

Insane how good this Limerick team. They could have 20 points in the first half the way this is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Insane how good this Limerick team. They could have 20 points in the first half the way this is going.

Best minor team I've seen in years-all of them are good hurlers

phkk wrote: »
    Best minor team I've seen in years-all of them are good hurlers

They are very good, though at this same time Waterford did draw with them and better them for 40 minutes the last day.

They are definitely better than the Waterford minors this year but just saying that it's hard to know with Minors. Their forwards are unreal though, and they have plenty outside too.

Problem with Galway is we have literally no idea how good they are.

When they hit full flow, they are unstoppable. They have some outstanding forwards.

The main problems they have is that they have been guilty of taking the foot off the pedal in a few games this year, and concede too many goal chances. They don't have a natural full-back or centre-back and are vulnerable to being run at through the centre. The fact that Colin Ryan has been asked to play every position shows a certain vulnerability, because you could argue he is the best forward of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

Excellent performance by Limerick, they will be big favourites for the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Great performance by Limerick very impressive indeed but annoys me how some people are completely ruling out Kilkenny, they seem to be forgetting that we had two of our schools in the Colleges Final whilst beating 2 Limerick schools in the Semis so dont go ruling out the Cats just yet because we have a very good team too but we certainly cant afford any lapses in concentration like we did against Waterford the last day, if we can cut that out then its anyones game. But Limerick will deservedly be favourites though after todays performance, they have sent out a message today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Limk 4/9 favs, 3 point handicap.

LK will win if they play to their potential.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Limk 4/9 favs, 3 point handicap.

LK will win if they play to their potential.

I think everyone bar kilkenny people will be rooting for limerick. 30 years is a long time without winning a minor all ireland! i hope they will pull it off

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Great performance by Limerick very impressive indeed but annoys me how some people are completely ruling out Kilkenny, they seem to be forgetting that we had two of our schools in the Colleges Final whilst beating 2 Limerick schools in the Semis so dont go ruling out the Cats just yet because we have a very good team too but we certainly cant afford any lapses in concentration like we did against Waterford the last day, if we can cut that out then its anyones game. But Limerick will deservedly be favourites though after todays performance, they have sent out a message today

Don't think anyone is writing off Kilkenny yet, they're clearly a very good team... but we've been expecting great things from this Limerick team since they were U-14/U-15, they always had huge promise.

The schools thing is a good point... but how many KK minors were involved with those schools?

Of the Limerick minor team that started today, only 4 played in those semi-finals: Ronan Lynch, Cian Lynch & Conor Fitz for Ard Scoil, Colin Ryan for Doon.

And Peter Casey & Thomas Grimes came on as subs for Ard Scoil, Casey started today, Grimes came on.

So I'm not sure how much of a barometer the schools things for judging the minor teams in that instance. Limerick have had dominance with Ard Scoil at Harty level for quite a while now, but we've only won 2 Munsters in the past few years.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Don't think anyone is writing off Kilkenny yet, they're clearly a very good team... but we've been expecting great things from this Limerick team since they were U-14/U-15, they always had huge promise.

The schools thing is a good point... but how many KK minors were involved with those schools?

Of the Limerick minor team that started today, only 4 played in those semi-finals: Ronan Lynch, Cian Lynch & Conor Fitz for Ard Scoil, Colin Ryan for Doon.

And Peter Casey & Thomas Grimes came on as subs for Ard Scoil, Casey started today, Grimes came on.

So I'm not sure how much of a barometer the schools things for judging the minor teams in that instance. Limerick have had dominance with Ard Scoil at Harty level for quite a while now, but we've only won 2 Munsters in the past few years.

What annoyed me the most was a very ignorant comment someone made earlier that Limerick would "hammer the sh*te out of Kilkenny and Kilkenny are a weak team". That really annoyed me to no end, we are there on merit without playing to our potential for a full 60 minutes just yet, we played excellently in spells against Waterford and the same against Dublin although we lulled at the end of the game and they played poorly enough.

Ok I will break it down a bit here, of the winning Kierans team, 11 of the Minor squad played that day only 7 of them started, 2 of these Darren Mullen and Jack Keoghan who are key players for the County team have been injured since the Leinster Final. Out of the rest only Liam Blanchfield and Jason Cleere are regular starters for us whilst Tommy Walsh another who came on as a sub against Waterford. The other 2 are only panelists. 4 more were brought and 3 of those have been regular starters this year in Sean Morrissey, Billy Ryan and Conor Browne.

CBS had 5 Minors all of which started that day, Luke Scanlon, Conor Doheny and Cathal McGrath amongst those who started the last day whilst Andrew Gaffney came on as a sub

So between the two teams 16 of the Minor squad played that day 2 of which are out injured for the season. They produced 10 of our regular starting team and the rest of the players are from the South of the County are exceptionally talented, the likes of John Walsh, Darragh Joyce the captain and Alan Murphy to name 3. A lot of weight has been placed on this teams shoulders too, the bulk of which was playing last year when we only narrowly lost out to an exceptional Waterford team and we have brought on some excellent younger lads this year too who werent there last year so for some people to say Limerick will run away with it is very disrespectful to our team who are there by right too. Thats not taking anything away from Limerick or to say Limerick arent deserved favourites after todays excellent performance. But what Im saying is a lot of people think its a foregone conclusion now but that is far from the case. Even after the Dublin disaster I have still maintained huge faith in this team and what they are capable of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Limerick look set to take over from a Clare as the kingpins at u21 level.

What annoyed me the most was a very ignorant comment someone made earlier that Limerick would "hammer the sh*te out of Kilkenny and Kilkenny are a weak team". That really annoyed me to no end, we are there on merit without playing to our potential for a full 60 minutes just yet, we played excellently in spells against Waterford and the same against Dublin although we lulled at the end of the game and they played poorly enough.

Ok I will break it down a bit here, of the winning Kierans team, 11 of the Minor squad played that day only 7 of them started, 2 of these Darren Mullen and Jack Keoghan who are key players for the County team have been injured since the Leinster Final. Out of the rest only Liam Blanchfield and Jason Cleere are regular starters for us whilst Tommy Walsh another who came on as a sub against Waterford. The other 2 are only panelists. 4 more were brought and 3 of those have been regular starters this year in Sean Morrissey, Billy Ryan and Conor Browne.

CBS had 5 Minors all of which started that day, Luke Scanlon, Conor Doheny and Cathal McGrath amongst those who started the last day whilst Andrew Gaffney came on as a sub

So between the two teams 16 of the Minor squad played that day 2 of which are out injured for the season. They produced 10 of our regular starting team and the rest of the players are from the South of the County are exceptionally talented, the likes of John Walsh, Darragh Joyce the captain and Alan Murphy to name 3. A lot of weight has been placed on this teams shoulders too, the bulk of which was playing last year when we only narrowly lost out to an exceptional Waterford team and we have brought on some excellent younger lads this year too who werent there last year so for some people to say Limerick will run away with it is very disrespectful to our team who are there by right too. Thats not taking anything away from Limerick or to say Limerick arent deserved favourites after todays excellent performance. But what Im saying is a lot of people think its a foregone conclusion now but that is far from the case. Even after the Dublin disaster I have still maintained huge faith in this team and what they are capable of

You'll always get a few silly posts. Limerick have the capacity to hammer KK, but it more than likely won't happen. The 2 best teams in the country are in final.

You'll always get a few silly posts. Limerick have the capacity to hammer KK, but it more than likely won't happen. The 2 best teams in the country are in final.

They do have the capacity to hammer us if we were to produce a Dublin like performance but thats highly unlikely at this stage. I fully expect a close game. People seem to forget Limerick drew with Waterford too and many are overrating the outcome of the Final on the fact that it took us extra time to beat them too

They do have the capacity to hammer us if we were to produce a Dublin like performance but thats highly unlikely at this stage. I fully expect a close game. People seem to forget Limerick drew with Waterford too and many are overrating the fact that it took us extra time to beat them too

I was hugely impressed with KK in that match. I was for waterford, as I knew we'd beat Galway. In that first match we were 8 up and fell asleep. Waterford were the best last year, but were off the pace this year.

I was hugely impressed with KK in that match. I was for waterford, as I knew we'd beat Galway. In that first match we were 8 up and fell asleep. Waterford were the best last year, but were off the pace this year.

Similar to Limerick in the Munster Final we let Waterford off the hook and back into the game which almost cost us but we were very impressive in spells I agree but we lulled in the 2nd half altogether. I was really impressed with the extra time performance though

• Advertisement

With the games against Waterford as the best barometer, it would show that the teams are pretty even.

Limerick have been exposed for goals in every game so far this year though, a poor Tipp team got 2 against us, Cork got 2, Waterford got 3 the first day iirc, and Galway got 2 today...... teams have been able to run straight through the middle and O'Loughlin isn't really a natural full-back, he's just the best available, he can be punished for that.

But up front, we have huge firepower. Any of the forwards are capable of knocking over 4 or 5 from play on a good day, and they've been mixing it up. Colin Ryan, Barry Nash, Ronan Lynch, Cian Lynch, Tom Morrissey & Peter Casey have all been the star forward at some point.. I'd look at each of those players and say they're probably good enough to go on and play senior at some stage... and that's not even counting the likes of Conor Fitzgerald, Barry Murphy, Thomas Grimes & Seamus Flanagan who are all very good options too. Flanagan in particular is a key workhorse & playmaker.

I do think that if we can stop KK getting goals, we will win, but I have the feeling that they'll target that, they're the best team we've played yet and O'Loughlin has to get more protection. ALTC does seem to be the best centre-back we have and even he isn't a natural there.

Still don't know where Ronan Lynch's best position is.

Well done to Limerick today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Time for Mattie to go.

He has proved a roadblock for any progressive coaches coming through in Galway underage ranks

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Time for Mattie to go.

He has proved a roadblock for any progressive coaches coming through in Galway underage ranks

id agree completely with this sentiment. he has been a tremendous servant to galway hurling but time to step aside now.

donnem33 wrote: »
    id agree completely with this sentiment. he has been a tremendous servant to galway hurling but time to step aside now.

Is that not a bit of a knee jerk reaction? The man has won 6 AIs. Galway lost today, not because of Murphy, but simply LK were different class.

• Advertisement

Is that not a bit of a knee jerk reaction? The man has won 6 AIs. Galway lost today, not because of Murphy, but simply LK were different class.

mattie has been involved with galway since the early 1990's. Im not sure if he even would want to continue. It takes huge committment and he is pushing on in age. I would like to see someone young like francis forde or michael haverty take over..men who have trained teams under mattie

donnem33 wrote: »
    mattie has been involved with galway since the early 1990's. Im not sure if he even would want to continue. It takes huge committment and he is pushing on in age. I would like to see someone young like francis forde or michael haverty take over..men who have trained teams under mattie

He's been a good serveant to Galway.

I've long been an admirer of Galway underage hurling, but today that was a shocking performance. So unlike Galway underage, 1st touch was desperate. Maybe it was just one of those days.

A question for the Limerick posters. How many (if any) of your minor team play for senior clubs and by play I mean start on the senior team. I know that Patrickswell as a matter of policy tend not to let minors play senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

A question for the Limerick posters. How many (if any) of your minor team play for senior clubs and by play I mean start on the senior team. I know that Patrickswell as a matter of policy tend not to let minors play senior.

Cian Lynch started for Patrickswell last night, as did Tom Morrissey for Ahane. I wouldn't be 100% sure whether other minors start for their senior teams, but I would assume many of them do. On the last bit, Patrickswell also started another minor, Aaron Gillane, in corner forward.

I don't know the answer myself as regards the Kilkenny minors but I bet PMY.Murphy does.

I don't know about all the players but I'll give it a go off the top of my head:

Eoghan McNamara (Doon). They are a senior club, but I'm almost certain he's not starting. They have Darragh Stapleton, minor keeper of a few years ago, and this year's U-21 keeper in goal.

Sean Finn (Bruff). They are Premier Intermediate, and I'm pretty sure he starts, not 100% on that though.

Paddy O'Loughlin (Kilmallock). Don't think he's on the senior panel, his two older brothers are though. In fairness, he's only 16/17 and they are a very strong team.

Jamie Porter (Monaleen). Intermediate team. He starts.

Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen). Intermediate team. He starts.

Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen). Again, he plays for their intermediates.

Conor Byrnes (Murroe/Boher). He has been starting at senior level this year, he was drafted late into the starting minor team.

Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock). Doesn't feature for their seniors.

Cian Lynch (Patrickswell). Now that he's available, he starts.

Seamus Flanagan (Feoghanagh/Castlemahon). He's so young, don't think he starts for their juniors. Maybe he does...

Barry Nash (South Liberties). Key player for their senior team.

Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh). He's now a pretty big player for them, and they are comfortably the best team in Limerick atm.

Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh). Not involved yet, he's quite small and has another year minor. He will be in the near future though.

Tom Morrissey (Ahane). He starts for Ahane, their most consistent forward afaik.

Conor Fitzgerald (Claghaun). Think he starts for their intermediates.

That's 5 who start at senior level, but a lot more are involved at lower grades.

As mentioned, Aaron Gillane has been a sub for the minors but featuring for the Well seniors.

Dylan Dawson has arguably been the best player in the Premier Intermediate Championship by all accounts and he can't even make the bench. Scored 3-8 the other night for Blackrock (of Richie McCarthy fame)... they're doing really well and he's scoring huge amounts. Really strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Seniors in Bold.

Darren Brennan St. Lachtains
    Conor Doheny Dicksboro
    Conor Delaney Erins Own
    Cathal McGrath John Lockes
    Pat Lyng Rower Inistioge
    Jason Cleere Bennettsbridge
    Darragh Joyce (Capt). Rower Inistioge
    Conor Browne James Stephens
    Luke Scanlon James Stephens
    Sean Morrissey Bennettsbridge
    Ross Butler O’Loughlin Gaels
    Billy Ryan Graigue Ballycallan
    Alan Murphy Glenmore
    Liam Blanchfield Bennettsbridge
    Ronan Corcoran Ballyhale Shamrocks

Subs:
    Jason Barcoe Clara
    Liam Hennessy Glenmore
    Tommy Walsh Tullaroan
    Donnacha O’Connor Tullogher Rosbercon
    Eoin Kenny Slieverue
    John Walsh Mullinavat
    Daniel O Connor O’Loughlin Gaels
    Andrew Gaffney Dicksboro
    Richie Leahy Rower Inistioge

Extended Panel:
    Robbie Donnelly Thomastown
    Eoin Walsh Lisdowney
    Michael Cody Dunnamaggin
    Conor Hennessy Tullogher Rosbercon
    Niall McMahon Erins Own
    Bill McDowell John Lockes
    Niall Walsh Windgap
    Darren Mullen Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Jack Keoghan Tullaroan

AFAIK Scanlon is the only starter from the Wd match that started for his club at the weekend.

I don't know the answer myself as regards the Kilkenny minors but I bet PMY.Murphy does.

Based on the Minor Panel the other week we had 16 players from Senior clubs which has only just occurred to me now and based on the match programme from the club games at the weekend which is not always accurate by the way

Out of those 16 players only 6 of those started for their clubs in Senior games, Andrew Gaffney(who wasnt on the programme to start by the way and who had an outstanding game for Dicksboro at that), Tommy Walsh, Conor Delaney, Pat Lyng, Conor Browne and Luke Scanlon... The programme isnt always accurate and Ronan Corcoran was listed as a sub for Ballyhale even though he normally starts for them so i suppose hes another who would be playing Senior Hurling regularly. Similarly Darragh Joyce wasnt even on the programme for Rower Inistioge and I do know he played about a month ago for them in the last round of games and was outstanding. Whether some of the others came on as subs I didnt hear about as yet.

Out of the panel, 10 more players are from Intermediate clubs and 8 of them started for their clubs, Alan Murphy was suspended for his club after a red card the last day and didnt play for his club but he would be normally playing and their main free taker. I was at an Intermediate Game the other night and 2 of our Minors were on show John Walsh was outstanding for his club scored about 1-4 from play and Billy Ryan played very well on the other side too

citykat wrote: »
    Seniors in Bold.

Darren Brennan St. Lachtains
    Conor Doheny Dicksboro
    Conor Delaney Erins Own
    Cathal McGrath John Lockes
    Pat Lyng Rower Inistioge
    Jason Cleere Bennettsbridge
    Darragh Joyce (Capt). Rower Inistioge
    Conor Browne James Stephens
    Luke Scanlon James Stephens
    Sean Morrissey Bennettsbridge
    Ross Butler O’Loughlin Gaels
    Billy Ryan Graigue Ballycallan
    Alan Murphy Glenmore
    Liam Blanchfield Bennettsbridge
    Ronan Corcoran Ballyhale Shamrocks

Subs:
    Jason Barcoe Clara
    Liam Hennessy Glenmore
    Tommy Walsh Tullaroan
    Donnacha O’Connor Tullogher Rosbercon
    Eoin Kenny Slieverue
    John Walsh Mullinavat
    Daniel O Connor O’Loughlin Gaels
    Andrew Gaffney Dicksboro
    Richie Leahy Rower Inistioge

Extended Panel:
    Robbie Donnelly Thomastown
    Eoin Walsh Lisdowney
    Michael Cody Dunnamaggin
    Conor Hennessy Tullogher Rosbercon
    Niall McMahon Erins Own
    Bill McDowell John Lockes
    Niall Walsh Windgap
    Darren Mullen Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Jack Keoghan Tullaroan

AFAIK Scanlon is the only starter from the Wd match that started for his club at the weekend.

Conor Browne started for the Village too didnt he? he was down on the programme anyway.

Conor Browne started for the Village too didnt he? he was down on the programme anyway.

He was listed to start but didn't. Think Diarmuid Cody started instead. I saw him readied to come on but can't tell whether he actually came on.

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    He was listed to start but didn't. Think Diarmuid Cody started instead. I saw him readied to come on but can't tell whether he actually came on.

Ah I see, Gaffney played for the Boro and he wasnt listed to start. Did Conor Doheny start on the other side? The progamme is sometimes grossly inaccurate

Ah I see, Gaffney played for the Boro and he wasnt listed to start. Did Conor Doheny start on the other side? The progamme is sometimes grossly inaccurate

Yea Gaffney was listed as a sub but started. Doheny didn't start. AFAIR he didn't even get a run.

I don't know about all the players but I'll give it a go off the top of my head:

Eoghan McNamara (Doon). They are a senior club, but I'm almost certain he's not starting. They have Darragh Stapleton, minor keeper of a few years ago, and this year's U-21 keeper in goal.

Sean Finn (Bruff). They are Premier Intermediate, and I'm pretty sure he starts, not 100% on that though.

Paddy O'Loughlin (Kilmallock). Don't think he's on the senior panel, his two older brothers are though. In fairness, he's only 16/17 and they are a very strong team.

Jamie Porter (Monaleen). Intermediate team. He starts.

Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen). Intermediate team. He starts.

Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen). Again, he plays for their intermediates.

Conor Byrnes (Murroe/Boher). He has been starting at senior level this year, he was drafted late into the starting minor team.

Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock). Doesn't feature for their seniors.

Cian Lynch (Patrickswell). Now that he's available, he starts.

Seamus Flanagan (Feoghanagh/Castlemahon). He's so young, don't think he starts for their juniors. Maybe he does...

Barry Nash (South Liberties). Key player for their senior team.

Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh). He's now a pretty big player for them, and they are comfortably the best team in Limerick atm.

Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh). Not involved yet, he's quite small and has another year minor. He will be in the near future though.

Tom Morrissey (Ahane). He starts for Ahane, their most consistent forward afaik.

Conor Fitzgerald (Claghaun). Think he starts for their intermediates.

That's 5 who start at senior level, but a lot more are involved at lower grades.

As mentioned, Aaron Gillane has been a sub for the minors but featuring for the Well seniors.

Dylan Dawson has arguably been the best player in the Premier Intermediate Championship by all accounts and he can't even make the bench. Scored 3-8 the other night for Blackrock (of Richie McCarthy fame)... they're doing really well and he's scoring huge amounts. Really strange.

My mistake. Eoghan McNamara did start for Doon last night, so is obviously a part of their panel. Afaik Darragh Stapleton is first-choice... and they would have been expected to beat Knockainey anyway, but he's obviously involved.

Barry Murphy, who came on the last day, also played. He's minor again next year, very promising hurler.

And Ross Griffin, who was on the minor panel, plays senior for Ballybrown. Got sent off against South Liberties afaik.

That is a pretty impressive list of starters from both counties. I am surprised to be honest at how many of each start for their clubs be they senior or intermediate. There was a time in both counties a minor would be risking his life togging at senior, intermediate or junior would have been even worse. The game has to have become a lot more sanitized despite what we hear and read at times.

That is a pretty impressive list of starters from both counties. I am surprised to be honest at how many of each start for their clubs be they senior or intermediate. There was a time in both counties a minor would be risking his life togging at senior, intermediate or junior would have been even worse. The game has to have become a lot more sanitized despite what we hear and read at times.

Yea the lower down the grade, the higher risk! As per the inter county scene, the age profile has definitely been reduced. Think the fitness levels are higher though and while there's less hitting with the hurl, lads are fitter and stronger and hit harder with their bodies.

My mistake. Eoghan McNamara did start for Doon last night, so is obviously a part of their panel. Afaik Darragh Stapleton is first-choice... and they would have been expected to beat Knockainey anyway, but he's obviously involved.

Barry Murphy, who came on the last day, also played. He's minor again next year, very promising hurler.

And Ross Griffin, who was on the minor panel, plays senior for Ballybrown. Got sent off against South Liberties afaik.

The Mackey lad from Adare started for them as well, he'll probably be on the minor team next year.

And Tom Morrissey's twin brother, Paddy, scored the goal for Ahane that really got them back into the game against Adare.

Teams do seem to be utilising minors quite a bit.

The Mackey lad from Adare started for them as well, he'll probably be on the minor team next year.

And Tom Morrissey's twin brother, Paddy, scored the goal for Ahane that really got them back into the game against Adare.

Teams do seem to be utilising minors quite a bit.

Really looking forward to this Minor game on Sunday. The 2 best teams are left in the Competition in my opinion and it should be an excellent match. How are things faring over on the Limerick side?

I'll be disappointed if we don't win this by 6+ points.

I'll be disappointed if we don't win this by 6+ points.

Fair play to Limerick if they do. A one point win will do fine for us and we can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

The odds/predictions etc remind me a lot of The Kierans vs Ard Scoil game earlier this year, just don't think it is as clear cut as some like to think.

Advertisement